“Good Choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Oceanside, California
“Good Choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Thanks to TripAdvisor reviews, we always seem to find that the hotel lives up to it's name. I loved being at this hotel because:
1. Dan was incredibly friendly and helpful. He gave us good information so that we could enjoy our stay in Santa Barbara. Thanks to him, we were pleased with all our choices.
2. Walking into the room, I immediately felt at home not like all hotels. The bedding and decor didn't look or feel so much as the normal hotel deco. There is a filtered water faucet in bathroom which is very handy making coffee or making sure you get hydrated enough.
3. I love the intimacy of the hotel, small, easy to just walk out your door as like a home.
4. Lots of light, two doors, one on the front side with a little patio and tables to sit and drink coffee. and the other door leads right to your car. There are lots of windows with plantation shutters for maximum privacy but also lets in light and still maintains privacy. This was a big point for me as sometimes I feel claustrophobic in a hotel room if it is too dark or too recessed.
5. Room clean and free of any odors or sprays to mask odors. Again, it felt like home to me.
6. My husband and I both slept very well which is not always the case in most hotels.
7. An easy walk to Amtrak train station which we rode up from San Diego County.
8. Walking distance to restaurants, the pier, the harbor.
9. Nice sheltered feeling, kind of off the main drag but yet close to it.
10. Two luggage holders where most rooms only have one and one person doesn't have a place to set their suitcase. Just showed consideration for all the needs one might have.
Last but not least, it was our 20th anniversary and it was certainly memorable and what we had hoped for.
After having stayed here, I would pick Castillo Inn again over all the places I saw while we were walking around primarily because of the intimacy and value for the place which was what we were looking for. Did I say this was a great price and value for what you get!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I found this inn right here on TA and found myself in the consensus agreement by others. This looks like a classic motel design from the 30s/40s Calif style. It has been well-maintained and the rooms show much design/decor enhancements. Everything is very pleasant and warm about the room including having slat window covers instead of blinds or curtains. We had a king bed (very comfortable) and a jacuzzi bathtub. It appeared that most units had an enclosed patio like we did. There is no view of course but there is privacy. The location is about equal distance from Stern's Wharf and the Marina Harbor both of which had some good seafood restaurant choices. You are also 4 blocks from the beginning of State St with all its shops and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Valley Stream, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I would have given this property two more stars if it hadn't been for the unpleasant man (Don?) at the front desk. We drove to Santa Barbara from Los Angeles, and made better time than we had planned. We arrived at the Castillo Motel at 10AM, well in advance of our wine-tasting tour which was set to begin at 11AM. We were unable to check in, which wasn't his fault since people had not yet checked out. However, when asked if we could use a restroom after our almost two-hour ride, he brusquely replied that there was nothing he could do for us. As we stood outside in the parking lot weighing our options and trying to figure out where to go to find a restroom, he came out (after 5-10 minutes) and said we could use a room upstairs where people had already checked out. Mind you, we're four adults in our mid 60s. We weren't looking to trash a room or for any special favors, but after driving for 2 hours, nature was calling!
After using the restroom, we came back to the office to wait for our 11AM pick-up. One person in our group took a scone from the breakfast display and asked if anyone else in our group would like one. We were loudly reprimanded not to take too many. A short time later Dan completely changed his attitude, making small talk and recommending restaurants for dinner. Perhaps he realized that his earlier behavior was beyond rude and totally uncalled for. When we came back to check in after our tour, he was again pleasant, leaving us hopeful that his earlier rudeness was just a fluke.
Wrong!! The next day, after checking out of our two rooms and returning to Los Angeles, our friend realized that she had left her iPod in her room. She immediately called the motel and got Don on the phone. She asked if he would please FedEx the iPod (which he said they had found) to her, and that she would gladly give him her credit card to pay for it. He told her that it was not hotel policy, and that she would have to call FedEx and make all the arrangements herself. FedEx said they could pick it up, but it would have to be boxed, and ready for them. Back to Don, who again refused to have any part of getting the iPod back to my friend.
The matter was finally resolved, but only after several phone calls back and forth and a lot of aggravation.
On a positive note, the room was fine, the bed was comfortable, parking was convenient, and we enjoyed our wine-tasing tour. The only negative part of our trip to Santa Barbara was Don, whose moods seemed to change like Jekyl and Hyde.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Fourth time to Castillo inn since my son moved to Santa Barbara a year and a half ago. We first stayed there because I found it on trip advisor and it is close to city college. I have gone back because Dan at front desk is fantastic, the rooms are clean, safe, property well taken care of, and a great price. Dan is friendly and greets me as if I just left. I will be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Rooms are very spacious, clean and modern....very large with beautiful white shutters, and we had the continental breakfast out on our patio. (room 24). Large well-appointed bathroom, with a whirlpool tub, and the best coffee we've had at a hotel!,,,, definitely would return. We did experience some noise from the train.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Only stayed one night but we will definitely try to stay here the next time we are in SB
Pros
Clean
Spacious
Great location
Helpful staff
Individualized decor making it homey
Con
Mattress a bit hard
Some Train noise for other family who also stayed there

In the end pros far outweigh cons particularly since it was such a good value

• Stayed November 2012
Alfred, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I think I looked at just about every TA hotel/motel review in Santa Barbara before I decided to go with with the affordable Castillo Inn. It was a surprisingly good deal for its location and spacious, clean rooms. My friend and I had a double queen sized room with a small patio outside. We were a little concerned to find ourselves right next door to the laundry room, but it turned out not to be a noise problem. There was a little bit of confusion figuring out the wireless code with the man at the front desk, then later found the code on the desk in the room, which would have saved a lot of time. The location was perfect for walking to the harbor, beach, and State St. We'd be pleased to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Castillo Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!