“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Palm Springs, California
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Overall impression was very favorable. The rooms are large, the decks are lovely and the views tranquil. The continental breakfast is great for a quick & satisfying start to the day, served in a room with great ocean views, and the valet parking a plus for ease of getting around and not worrying about your car at night. The staff is just as eager to please as reviews on this site indicate, and the Inn is located far enough away from the SB hubbub, but close enough to everything to be ideal for a Santa Barbara visit. I would definitely stay there again. While the accommodations are not by any means luxurious, the hotel boasts everything needed for a relaxing beachfront getaway in Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for the ocean view room - well worth it for the extra fee and the view from the balco...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We loved the old charm of the Santa Barbara Inn. Its a must stay before the remodel in October 2013. Rooms are big, clean and the beds have to be the most comfortable ever. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Best continental breakfast with fresh fruit, breads, yogurts, plenty to choose from and a view of the ocean while you eat. The location is perfect. Beach right across the street, catch the trolley to "State Street" right outside lobby. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed two nights at this hotel , the room was large comfortable and clean with side views of the sea. The receptionists were very helpful and pleasant. Nice continental breakfast . Would really recommend this hotel

Sellersville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The Santa Barbara Inn was perfect for our needs over the July 4th weekend! It is walking distance to Norton's Pastrami, as well as many nice restaurants on the waterfront. We watched the fireworks from immediately in front of the hotel, by the beach. The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable, and we couldn't be happier. The staff were also amazing, helping us find a restaurant for dinner and always greeting us with a friendly smile, even if we were just passing through the lobby on our way to the beach. Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pleasantly surprised we were given the Catalina Suite at check in and it was amazing! The hotel staff was really friendly and made the stay relaxing. The coffee and tea service in the lobby is a nice touch! Overall, it was great for all types of travelers, nice atmosphere, and comfy. I look forward to revisiting.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were rather disappointed by this hotel. We paid 280 dollars for one night and it was not worth the money. Why?

First of all the hotel is old and worn. For example the green solar panels where worn and holes had fallen in to it. The lift was so slow you did not even notice it was actually going up. The printer in the computer room did not work. And the worst of it, the staff knew about it but did not care enough to inform the guest about it. So you would sit there getting frustrated with a printer that does not work. The computer was very old and slow. For the amount of money they charge, this is not acceptable. Positive side: The staff printed our boarding passes for us and brought it to the room.

The room size was good and the bed very comfortable. However, the room was extremely warm! We were there in June and for a destination like this you would expect an air-conditioning or at least a suitable ventilator. We had a smallish ventilator on the ceiling and one was stored in the closed. Both were not adequate for the job. It just made a lot of noise and the temperature was too hot.
The shower needs an update as well. It was a showerhead attached to the wall on neck level that sprayed water forward against your body. I had to bent to make sure my hair would get wet.

Then the breakfast… This was the biggest disappointment! Throw-away-plates, plastic cutlery and paper cups! Next to that, the breakfast was very limited. You had nothing but butter of jam to put on the bread. And that for 280 dollars a night!

The hotel tries to pimp-up their services by offering free fruit in the lobby and free wine with cheese on Friday afternoon. In my opinion they should first spend some time and energy on the primary services like the breakfast and air-conditioning instead of these secondary services.

The main street is about 15-20 minute walk from the inn. You can take a cheap shuttle bus to town. Speaking about the town. That was also a disappointment. Considering the average high prices of the hotels in this area we did not expect streets smelling of urine and full of homeless people. Santa Barbara really needs to handle this.
However, there are a lot of nice shops in town and good restaurants.

If you are considering a hotel in Santa Barbara we would advise you to find a hotel that is worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ed G, General Manager at Santa Barbara Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry you had an unpleasant stay. The Santa Barbara Inn closed for renovation on October 1, 2013 and will reopen in early 2015. The new hotel will be fully air-conditioned and we will have 70 new guest rooms and suites, most with panoramic ocean views. We will add a restaurant, bar, fitness center and banquet room. We hope you will return to our inn along the ocean when we reopen in early 2015.
Ed Galsterer, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Be warned, this hotel do not take care of your car:

My family and I arrived at the hotel around 5pm en route to Paso Robles. The hotel did not offer self parking and we were advised the valet charge was $7 / night. The young valet guy drove my car away and we didn't see it again. Around 11am the next morning another young valet guy offered to "bring the car around" whilst I checked out.
As my family and I exited the hotel, the valet was holding the driver's door open, I hopped in handing him $5 tip. At the time I didn't notice anything as the opened door/ valet was obscuring the damage. Three hours later when I reached my destination, I got out my car, closed the door and there it was, a dent in the driver's side fender.
I immediately called the hotel and spoke to Front Desk Manager, Bryan O'Quinn, who apologized sincerely and promised to have Valet Manager, Jason, call me. Jason called 20mins later saying "I can't do anything unless I have photos". I immediately sent photos of the damage by text.
After several hours I called Jason who's response was "I was waiting on one of my guys getting back to me before I called you back, I'll get back to you shortly". However the next morning with no calls or texts from Jason, my family and I decided to cut short our trip and return to Santa Barbara to deal with the matter.
Hotel Bryan, again apologetic, explained that manager, Ed Glasterer, had "gone for the day" (BTW: we never did speak or see Ed), but that Jason was on his way and would be at the hotel in 15mins. Almost an hour later, Jason appeared, his attitude similar to a sullen teenage, would only give monosyllabic response to every question. He walked me the spot where my car was parked and asked "how do you think it happened?" I figured the valet was reversing a car into the space next to my car and hit the fender. Jason then said "I don't think it happened here".
I immediately called my insurance company who advised I should get a claim number and the hotel's insurers details and also file a police report. Jason was reluctant to give me anything or be the slightest bit helpful. Several hours later we finally set off, our vacation now abruptly ended.
It's been six weeks now since this incident and my insurance company has fought to have my car repaired at the cost of the hotel's insurers but to no avail. AMPCO's decision was not to pay out and although I was advised to write a detailed letter for further review, they have ignored all attempts at contact by myself and my insurance company (any calls to AMPCO direct the caller to a voicemail). To date Jason will not return my numerous calls and messages asking for an alternative number for AMPCO.
And even though I have two witnesses and a text from Jason stating "I did indicate that incident probably took place sometime during the night...", it looks like I will end up footing the $1000+bill to have my car repaired.
And to think I tipped the guy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Santa Barbara Inn? Share your experiences!