“Lovely beach front and affordable hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Santa Barbara Inn to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
“Lovely beach front and affordable hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The Santa Barbara Inn was perfect for our needs over the July 4th weekend! It is walking distance to Norton's Pastrami, as well as many nice restaurants on the waterfront. We watched the fireworks from immediately in front of the hotel, by the beach. The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable, and we couldn't be happier. The staff were also amazing, helping us find a restaurant for dinner and always greeting us with a friendly smile, even if we were just passing through the lobby on our way to the beach. Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pleasantly surprised we were given the Catalina Suite at check in and it was amazing! The hotel staff was really friendly and made the stay relaxing. The coffee and tea service in the lobby is a nice touch! Overall, it was great for all types of travelers, nice atmosphere, and comfy. I look forward to revisiting.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were rather disappointed by this hotel. We paid 280 dollars for one night and it was not worth the money. Why?

First of all the hotel is old and worn. For example the green solar panels where worn and holes had fallen in to it. The lift was so slow you did not even notice it was actually going up. The printer in the computer room did not work. And the worst of it, the staff knew about it but did not care enough to inform the guest about it. So you would sit there getting frustrated with a printer that does not work. The computer was very old and slow. For the amount of money they charge, this is not acceptable. Positive side: The staff printed our boarding passes for us and brought it to the room.

The room size was good and the bed very comfortable. However, the room was extremely warm! We were there in June and for a destination like this you would expect an air-conditioning or at least a suitable ventilator. We had a smallish ventilator on the ceiling and one was stored in the closed. Both were not adequate for the job. It just made a lot of noise and the temperature was too hot.
The shower needs an update as well. It was a showerhead attached to the wall on neck level that sprayed water forward against your body. I had to bent to make sure my hair would get wet.

Then the breakfast… This was the biggest disappointment! Throw-away-plates, plastic cutlery and paper cups! Next to that, the breakfast was very limited. You had nothing but butter of jam to put on the bread. And that for 280 dollars a night!

The hotel tries to pimp-up their services by offering free fruit in the lobby and free wine with cheese on Friday afternoon. In my opinion they should first spend some time and energy on the primary services like the breakfast and air-conditioning instead of these secondary services.

The main street is about 15-20 minute walk from the inn. You can take a cheap shuttle bus to town. Speaking about the town. That was also a disappointment. Considering the average high prices of the hotels in this area we did not expect streets smelling of urine and full of homeless people. Santa Barbara really needs to handle this.
However, there are a lot of nice shops in town and good restaurants.

If you are considering a hotel in Santa Barbara we would advise you to find a hotel that is worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ed G, General Manager at Santa Barbara Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry you had an unpleasant stay. The Santa Barbara Inn closed for renovation on October 1, 2013 and will reopen in early 2015. The new hotel will be fully air-conditioned and we will have 70 new guest rooms and suites, most with panoramic ocean views. We will add a restaurant, bar, fitness center and banquet room. We hope you will return to our inn along the ocean when we reopen in early 2015.
Ed Galsterer, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Be warned, this hotel do not take care of your car:

My family and I arrived at the hotel around 5pm en route to Paso Robles. The hotel did not offer self parking and we were advised the valet charge was $7 / night. The young valet guy drove my car away and we didn't see it again. Around 11am the next morning another young valet guy offered to "bring the car around" whilst I checked out.
As my family and I exited the hotel, the valet was holding the driver's door open, I hopped in handing him $5 tip. At the time I didn't notice anything as the opened door/ valet was obscuring the damage. Three hours later when I reached my destination, I got out my car, closed the door and there it was, a dent in the driver's side fender.
I immediately called the hotel and spoke to Front Desk Manager, Bryan O'Quinn, who apologized sincerely and promised to have Valet Manager, Jason, call me. Jason called 20mins later saying "I can't do anything unless I have photos". I immediately sent photos of the damage by text.
After several hours I called Jason who's response was "I was waiting on one of my guys getting back to me before I called you back, I'll get back to you shortly". However the next morning with no calls or texts from Jason, my family and I decided to cut short our trip and return to Santa Barbara to deal with the matter.
Hotel Bryan, again apologetic, explained that manager, Ed Glasterer, had "gone for the day" (BTW: we never did speak or see Ed), but that Jason was on his way and would be at the hotel in 15mins. Almost an hour later, Jason appeared, his attitude similar to a sullen teenage, would only give monosyllabic response to every question. He walked me the spot where my car was parked and asked "how do you think it happened?" I figured the valet was reversing a car into the space next to my car and hit the fender. Jason then said "I don't think it happened here".
I immediately called my insurance company who advised I should get a claim number and the hotel's insurers details and also file a police report. Jason was reluctant to give me anything or be the slightest bit helpful. Several hours later we finally set off, our vacation now abruptly ended.
It's been six weeks now since this incident and my insurance company has fought to have my car repaired at the cost of the hotel's insurers but to no avail. AMPCO's decision was not to pay out and although I was advised to write a detailed letter for further review, they have ignored all attempts at contact by myself and my insurance company (any calls to AMPCO direct the caller to a voicemail). To date Jason will not return my numerous calls and messages asking for an alternative number for AMPCO.
And even though I have two witnesses and a text from Jason stating "I did indicate that incident probably took place sometime during the night...", it looks like I will end up footing the $1000+bill to have my car repaired.
And to think I tipped the guy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a nice hotel right on the beach. About a 10 min walk to the pier. Rooms were very large and comfy. Valet parking only $7 and free wifi.

Breakfast we got there just before it closed so there wasn't much left.

A bit dated but I would stay there again.

Weird set up with the balcony there were just sail type thinks splitting us from the next room or a curtain.

Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

One of the more reasonably priced beach front hotels. We had a "city view" room that overlooked an alley, but the back rooms are quieter. We walked across to East Beach Grill after a swim at the hotel pool. Many attractions such as the zoo and Stearn's Wharf are within walking distance!

• Stayed June 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

By the reviews and pictures we saw, we were expecting a fabulous hotel experience. It was not. Our "ocean view" (we weren't actually facing the ocean directly, and there are 2 lanes of noisy traffic between you and the ocean) room hovered above the Valet so that we could hear every conversation being had, and there was some serious night club thumping going on into the wee hours of a Sunday night. We asked to be moved to a quieter room, and they were great about our request, moving our bags for us and being very accomodating. No in hotel restaurant, so no room service except for the ability to get delivery from a wide array of restaurants in the area. The valet service was also consistently slow.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Santa Barbara Inn has closed for an extensive renovation. Our inn along the ocean closed October 1, 2013 and will reopen with all new guestrooms and suites, air-conditioning, a new restaurant, bar, fitness center and banquet room. We are sorry you had an unpleasant stay and hope you will return upon our grand re-opening in early 2015.
Ed Galsterer, General Manager

Been to Santa Barbara Inn? Share your experiences!