“Older but well-taken care of” 4 of 5 stars

You added Santa Barbara Inn to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Seattle, Washington
“Older but well-taken care of”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The Inn is older but it is clean, comfortable and well-taken care of. The people working there have pride of ownership and are very helpful and friendly. It was a good value and excellent location across the road from the beach. A light breakfast was served in a lovely room upstairs with a goorgeous view of the beach, which came with the stay. The wine reception would be nice in this room, but we were not there on a Friday evening. I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
San Carlos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Excellent location -- directly across from the beach and Cabrillo Bike Path which runs the length of the shoreline. Clean and spacious rooms. Private balcony and patio doors which can be opened for fresh air. Prompt room service.

Important tips: This hotel is not within easy walking distance to State Street. We drove downtown for dinner. Valet parking costs $7 a day. To avoid the hassle, park across the street for free on Milpas. If you value peace and quiet, ask for a room away from the pool.

Some negatives: The hotel is pretty old and worn down and in need of renovation (peeling paint in the bathrooms, cracks in the light fixtures). The elevators weren't working which can be a problem for someone with mobility issues. They only had down pillows in the room but were willing to bring hypo-allergenic ones when requested.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was one stop on our road trip and we prebooked because it had a great view over the beach and seemed ideally situated. It did have nice views but was a bit noisy as is right on the road at a junction and even with the patio balcony doors closed, they have a louvered section of the full length window which still lets all the noise in. SB is great with lots of lovely shops and restaurants etc. The beach is lovely and one good point about being on the front is that you can just cross the road to walk out and watch the sunrise. The rooms were nice in a colonial sort if style and a comfy bed and a great balcony for sitting out on with some good chairs and a table and as I say, with it being on the road you can people watch too. You are overlooking the pool which was nice and heated but although the hot tub was clean, the surface was quite worn in places and made it look a bit older. We still enjoyed our dips though! The elevators are pretty old and extremely slow so we just used the stairs mostly instead (and the area around the elevator doors etc was again very worn and out of keeping with the rest of the hotel (which was clean and well presented but this didn't detract from a great stay). We also checked in early and had a lovely experience with the receptionist who was helpful and friendly to the max. All the staff were fab in fact.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here over New Year's eve with friends. Good location for the beach and short taxi to the main street with restaurants and shopping. Valet parking in garage very helpful. Front desk staff friendly and happy to help.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was 3rd stay at the SB Inn and it was just a wonderful as the other two. We stayed in a suite with an ocean view. It was great! The apartment sized room was very stylish and comfortable. We had a fridge, flat screen TV, and a private balcony facing the ocean. The bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of extra blankets and pillows. They also provide nice robes in case you want to go to the pool or hot tub.

As before, the staff was A-plus. Bryan and Ed took very good care of us. The entire staff at this hotel is incredible and they very considerate, which in this day and age is becomming a rarity.

We had a really good time at the hotel and at the Santa Barbara Zoo, which is right around the corner. I heard a rumor that there will be a restaurant at the hotel next time I stay there. Can't wait. This is definitely a good find with great amenities, view and location, not to mention the friendly and helpful people who work at this establishment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We just recently came home after 5 nights at the Santa Barbara Inn. Our room was spacious and had a King size bed and ocean view. It was very well maintained and the staff were courteous and friendly. I guess the only down side was the traffic noises outside our room as there is no air conditioning and we had to keep the doors open and fans going. However, they told us that they are closing in May of this year to do a huge reno and it will take up to 18 months. They are going to add a restaurant. Right now there is a gorgeous breakfast room with an ocean view where we had our complimentary breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: Our room was ocean side, but there are mountain side rooms which might be quieter. We had a room on...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The location of the hotel is great. All staff encounter was very friendly. I was allowed to check in very early without any problems. The only problem I had was hair in my bed, under the covers, when I arrived. Unfortunately the hair problem was not taken care of in the first try. I asked the staff to fix the problem by getting new betting. When I returned to the room later, the bed was made. Upon further inspection, however, I found multiple hairs (short and medium length, black, I have long blond hair) again under the covers. I assume that the bed was just made again (perhaps a miscommunication amoung the staff). When I asked the desk clerk to witness the hairs, he came up to my room promptly, and immediately appologized and I was offered a different room (with full ocean view upgrade). The second room was amazing. The next day I received a note, a phone call from the manager on duty, cookies and 2 bottles of sparkling water. I was very clear that the staff took my complaint very seriously and that they were eager to make up for their short coming the night before. I would 100% stay at this hotel again. Although the problem was not fixed the first time, the issue was resolved and I was very happy with my new, clean room. Mistakes happen, we are humans after all. As long as I am taken seriously and the complaint is fixed, I am happy.

Room Tip: This hotel is worth the extra money for the ocean view. Falling asleep listening to the waves was g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Santa Barbara Inn? Share your experiences!