“Reasonable and serene” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
San Diego, CA
“Reasonable and serene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Don't stay here if you want action. Stay here if you enjoy peace and quiet, lovely views, and the ocean. The rooms are old-school large and the beds are very comfortable. The off-season price, along with the continental breakfast, all day coffee and fruit, make it a bargain for Santa Barbara. Nice staff, too. Passes to a nice offered to a nice athletic club, too.

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wife and I did a quick one night weekender. Not realizing it was the Santa Barbara Film Festival weekend and all rates were going to be high, we chose the Santa Barbara Inn mostly due to rate on hotels.com. Proximity to the 101 was great and provided for easy access. It is about a 15min walk to State Street, but that provided cheaper food options. La Super Rica was just a mile down the street. The location off State Street was good and bad. We wished we were closer to the action, but it definitely was quieter than some of the other hotel options by State Street.

Pretty much everyone on staff was nice and helpful. The hotel room was a nice size and they gave the rooms a modernization which is nice. The bathrooms were still old school, but they were serviceable.

Overall, we may not stay here every time we go to SB, but it will definitely be a consideration for our next trip up there.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

What makes this hotel worthwhile are the views and the access to the beach. The room was perfectly adequate and the continental breakfast was all we needed. The front desk staff was friendly and the valet parking guy was very friendly, putting up with our unceasing abuse of the unlimited in and out policy. Seriously, this property puts you right in the center of things at a very attractive price. We went to the Biltmore for lunch and felt that we had gotten the best of both worlds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Playa del Rey, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I so agree with the notion of "5 star quality for 3 star price"! I admit i am partial to the SB Inn as it was the home of our wedding party during our wedding weekend in 2010, but we've visited many times since and the staff, room accommodations and overall quality is always top notch. You can not beat the quality and value for being right on the beach and walking distance to the Pier and State Street, even the Santa Barbara Bowl for summer concerts. We love it and will be back as often as we can rationalize!

Room Tip: the ocean view rooms are wonderful, and worth the little extra $. suite #200 is huge, great for ente...
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Santa Barbara Inn was a happy mistake. I thought I had booked a hotel with a similar name in the shopping district. Ended up at the Inn in a huge, ocean view room. The front desk staff is very friendly - always a smile and a "welcome back" when we walked in the door. Always hot coffee, tea and fresh fruit available in the lobby. Our room was HUGE, though it was an odd mix of dated and updated. The carpets had some stains but otherwise the room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and the view was spectacular. A basic continental breakfast was served in a lovely third floor breakfast room with more spectacular views. The walk to Stearns Wharf at the end of State Street was about 15 - 20 minutes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I grew up in Santa Barbara and try to visit whenever I am home to visit my family in SoCal. Many of my friends had the good sense to stay in the area so it's a treat to seem them when I'm in town. I usually book a room for my family at the Goleta Holiday Inn but this was a special trip and I wanted to stay on the beach. Since I'm familiar with the area, I knew exactly where the SB Inn is located. Tripadvisor comments aided me in deciding to make a reservation.

My first and foremost requirement was oceanfront/view. My daughter is 9 so I reserved a king/twin room. They also have rollaways but I thought the twin bed would be more comfortable. The twin is actually a pullout bed which is folded into what looks like an oversized ottoman. The ottoman is comfortable but skip the bed - it's very thin. We decided to snuggle in the king but since the bed was probably the best we've ever slept in, no one moved a muscle all night. We fell asleep to the lullaby of seals.

Unlike some previous posts, our bathroom was quite nice. It had a large shower and seemed as recently renovated as the rest of the hotel. The room had a large flat screen, small round table and a deck. The deck was wide enough for a 4-seater table and comfy chairs to enjoy sunset/sunrise. The decks are private, but only separted by vinyl - very beachy and attractive.

The ambience of the inn lends itself to a quiet getaway atmosphere. As we traveled in early January, the summer months may be different. This is a family-friendly place to stay, but we only saw adult guests. My daughter loved the pool (alas cold) and jacuzzi, and being walking distance to the beach.

The decor of the hotel is very tasteful. The hallways are lined with black and white photos of SB, other nice furnishings and lend themselves to a comfortable walk to the rooms. The lobby is inviting and offers 24/7 gourmet coffee/tea and fresh fruit. The continental breakfast is served in a window enclosed room on the third floor and faces the beach. The food is adequate, not too heavy for a day in the city. The only change would be to have trays to carry breakfast back to the room. As it was, I had to make a couple trips so I wouldn't drop my husband's oatmeal or have an apple roll down the hallway.

The icing on the cake was the wonderful staff. Nicholas was our parking valet - what a friendly young man. I can't remember the gentleman's name who assisted with my reservation/checked us in, but all the front desk employees were very welcoming. I mentioned to the front desk that we were dining at the Enterprise Fish Company (just a mile away) and he gave me a card for a free appetizer. The housekeeping staff all had smiles on their faces and you could tell they were treated well.

I hope the staff reads these posts. I would like them to know how they played a big part in making our trip so wonderful.

Room Tip: Definitely reserve an oceanfront room. Second would be pool view, the other rooms overlook the parki...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Santa Barbara Inn? Share your experiences!