“Walk to the beach and sleep fitfully” 5 of 5 stars

You added Santa Barbara Inn to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Kensington, Maryland
“Walk to the beach and sleep fitfully”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I grew up in Santa Barbara and try to visit whenever I am home to visit my family in SoCal. Many of my friends had the good sense to stay in the area so it's a treat to seem them when I'm in town. I usually book a room for my family at the Goleta Holiday Inn but this was a special trip and I wanted to stay on the beach. Since I'm familiar with the area, I knew exactly where the SB Inn is located. Tripadvisor comments aided me in deciding to make a reservation.

My first and foremost requirement was oceanfront/view. My daughter is 9 so I reserved a king/twin room. They also have rollaways but I thought the twin bed would be more comfortable. The twin is actually a pullout bed which is folded into what looks like an oversized ottoman. The ottoman is comfortable but skip the bed - it's very thin. We decided to snuggle in the king but since the bed was probably the best we've ever slept in, no one moved a muscle all night. We fell asleep to the lullaby of seals.

Unlike some previous posts, our bathroom was quite nice. It had a large shower and seemed as recently renovated as the rest of the hotel. The room had a large flat screen, small round table and a deck. The deck was wide enough for a 4-seater table and comfy chairs to enjoy sunset/sunrise. The decks are private, but only separted by vinyl - very beachy and attractive.

The ambience of the inn lends itself to a quiet getaway atmosphere. As we traveled in early January, the summer months may be different. This is a family-friendly place to stay, but we only saw adult guests. My daughter loved the pool (alas cold) and jacuzzi, and being walking distance to the beach.

The decor of the hotel is very tasteful. The hallways are lined with black and white photos of SB, other nice furnishings and lend themselves to a comfortable walk to the rooms. The lobby is inviting and offers 24/7 gourmet coffee/tea and fresh fruit. The continental breakfast is served in a window enclosed room on the third floor and faces the beach. The food is adequate, not too heavy for a day in the city. The only change would be to have trays to carry breakfast back to the room. As it was, I had to make a couple trips so I wouldn't drop my husband's oatmeal or have an apple roll down the hallway.

The icing on the cake was the wonderful staff. Nicholas was our parking valet - what a friendly young man. I can't remember the gentleman's name who assisted with my reservation/checked us in, but all the front desk employees were very welcoming. I mentioned to the front desk that we were dining at the Enterprise Fish Company (just a mile away) and he gave me a card for a free appetizer. The housekeeping staff all had smiles on their faces and you could tell they were treated well.

I hope the staff reads these posts. I would like them to know how they played a big part in making our trip so wonderful.

Room Tip: Definitely reserve an oceanfront room. Second would be pool view, the other rooms overlook the parki...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Lake Stevens, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We had one small housekeeping issue after checking in & unpacking all of our things. Victor offered to move us to the penthouse suite for the inconvenience which I politely declined due to the fact that our kids were already asleep. My only complaint, which the GM Ed openly acknowledged & promised would be addressed was the amount of cobwebs found under the bed/headboard. Everything else was fantastic. Our room, 109, opened up to the deck & pool area. I laid in bed & watched the sunset as the waves crashed upon the shore. Fresh fruit, coffee, tea & hot chocolate are available at all times in the lobby which we enjoyed daily. Ed (GM) personally called me the first afternoon to apologize for the issue we experienced on our first night & took care of the first nights charge along with a hand written card & sparkling water & cookies for the kids. Our kids had a great time swimming in the pool too. Each & every one of the Santa Barbara Inn's team members that I encountered were friendly & attentive. We are already planning our next trip to SB & have every intention on staying here again. This is what Guest Service is supposed to be like!

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We drove around Santa Barbara and found this hidden gem. It was nice and quiet. Nice clean rooms. The old vintage elevator was a funky surprise. The staff was excellent. Always there and greeted you with a smile.
We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you find yourself looking for a comfortable place to stay with a responsive staff, stay somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

My fiancee spent the night before our wedding, and we spent the night of our wedding, sleeping on balled-up towels because my fiancee/wife has a down allergy... and because, for whatever reason, the front desk was unable to get us down-alternative pillows.

Last weekend, I married the love of my life in SB. We wanted to keep things on the traditional side and decided not to see each other until the hitchin' was under-way. So, I stayed with friends on Friday night and she and her maid of honor checked into the Santa Barbara Inn. They checked in late (around 10:30 pm) and noticed that the pillows (and possibly comforter) were down. She called the front desk to explain she had a down allergy and ask for some down-alternative bedding. The front desk person apologized and explained that housekeeping had gone home for the evening and there was no way to get new bedding up to the room until the morning. The front desk promised to have new bedding brought up as soon as housekeeping arrived in the morning.

Understandably, not wanting to be three shades of splotchy or swollen for wedding photos the next day, she decided to strip the bed down to the sheets and sleep on balled up bath towels.

I'm gonna go ahead and repeat that for emphasis: the night before our wedding, at a hotel that charged us more than 300/night, my fiancee and her friend had to sleep on pillows they made out of bath towels because nobody at the hotel had a key for the pillow closet.

No bedding was brought up in the morning- so she stopped at the front desk and explained the situation again on the way to or from one of her many appointments for the day. Again, she was assured that new bedding would be brought up.

We were wed, as is the custom, and partied down with our family and friends. After an amazing reception, we headed back to the hotel... and found that the bedding had not been changed to accommodate her allergies.

Not surprisingly, housekeeping had gone home for the day. The front desk clerk did not have a key for the linen closet. So, when we were eventually ready for bed (if you know what I mean and I think you do), we had to make our own pillows from towels again.

I am a reasonable person, and understand things happen. While I am frustrated that my fiancee and her friend had to spend the night before our wedding sleeping on homemade towel-pillows, I can see that there wasn't much the front desk staff could have done at that point. However, there is absolutely no excuse for it happening two days in a row... especially at a hotel that was charging over 300/night.

You can stay at much nicer hotels in the area for less. You should do that instead. Try the Fess Parker next-door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ed G, General Manager at Santa Barbara Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced. We have closed the hotel as of October 1, 2013 for an extensive renovation. We will have all new guestrooms and suites, air-conditioning, a new restaurant, bar, fitness center and banquet room. We hope you will return to our inn upon our grand re-opening in early 2015.
Port Hueneme, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Santa Barbara Inn for my birthday & can tell you that we had a great experience. The location of the property, the view, the service.....EXCELLENT. We will definitely stay at this property in the near future...thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

SB Inn has friendliest front desk staff in town! Always welcomed w/ a smile and offer to help. Inn has a great location for enjoying the beach. The rooms are a bit older, but roomy and clean. Bathrooms need a re-do, nothing unacceptable, just tired. Stayed 4 nights over Thanksgiving for a family get together/wedding and enjoyed entire time.

Room Tip: Wish we would have paid a bit more to have ocean view. We overlooked back parking lot so will defin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a nice stay at this hotel. The employees were very laid back. The best thing about it was the view of the ocean, the nice sized rooms with patio. Nice big shower. There was no coffee in the room, but there was coffee in the lobby and a nice continental breakfast on the third floor with a nice seating area and great view. It is a good long walk to town. There was no conditioner in the room, but very nice smelling shampoo and soap. Parking on the street or valet.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Santa Barbara Inn? Share your experiences!