“Thanks Samahi and front Desk Ladies! I'm SUPER CRITICAL & You Surpassed my standards!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Lodge

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Thank Samahi and front Desk Ladies! We travel coast to coast because we own DC PLATINUM TRANSPORT and when we stay 200 nights on the road a year finding great clean rooms is important but when the staff is as lovely as the front desk ladies it's a no brainier stay there again! Mark the GPS. Rooms were clean plenty of food all over that is all walking distance. Or go. 3 miles from downtown. I would stay there again and I would feel comfortable recommending it because the staff is great and helpful and it's reasonably priced!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after a hotwire deal. The basic features for me when I travel on a budget are cleanliness, confort bed and hot shower. Not only Sandpiper has it all as they also have big room, big bathroom, very nice shower, a small gym, a pool, a jacuzzi and parking. Staff is friendly and the place is well maintaned. Excelent choice!
But be aware that they are far from the beach, you will have to use your car.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night passing through. Compared to a lot of other places in Santa Barbara the price was pretty cheap. Room was big and clean. Free parking & breakfast. Just a short drive to the water & nice restaurants. Compared to other budget motels/ hotels we have experienced in USA this one was really pretty nice!

• Stayed January 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great value lodge close to Santa Barbara,much more expensive to stay in Santa Barbara and we thought this was a much nicer Area with everything at hand,plenty of restaurants and shops,nice friendly staff and lovely clean rooms with microwave,they also have a swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Crossmichael, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We enjoyed our bus trip from LAX and arrived in the afternoon. We thought that we could have had a better welcome from the girl on the desk but were coldly given our key and pointed in the direction. Nobody helped with bags and made our way to our room which we refused right away. It was dark and dingy "but it is clean" we were told but no outlook at all. Out the back were empty cans of paint and an old bike The reception girl was again surley when we mentioned this and definately needs some customer care training. The manager was more accomodating and we were allocated another room which was better although still not the best outlook on to the car park.
Rooms were clean as was the bathroom however the coffee and tea facility allowed for one use per day. Walls were a bit thin and next door seemed to be having a great time !!!!! Breakfast consisted of coffee, a dry croissant and some cereal.
There are a few restaurants nearby and a large supermarket along the road. We ate at the Thai restaurant one evening and in a bar restaurant in the shopping centre the other both of which were good.
Getting into Santa Barbara meant taking a bus which was around £2.00 each per journey and took around 25 mins. This was a pain as although they were fairly frequent it meant hanging around the bus station at night if you wanted to get back, It was cold at night while we were there and I had to buy a jacket.
Santa Barbara is a nice town with plenty of restaurants and plenty of shops. The harbour area is nice to stroll along and you can see dolphins and pelicans hanging about the boardwalk. We took the City Tour which was interesting and wanted to take the Landshark but he did not turn up. Be aware and if you can, ensure it is running every day.
Would I stay at the Sandpiper again no because they need to install some customer care into their staff and it is too far out from the main area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Upland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

have used in the last three years, without problems, on last stayand previous stays doing construction for the city, did not know just how m days wero be used, office would call their office and ask if it would be same price, the girl said yes, and there were not any problems, this last stay, did same routin told same price, when I received bill from credit card company difference prices each time, never on weekends or holidays, called credit card company after no response from Sean, the manager, somehow the information from Sean said I was protesting stays not price, told credit card company it was for different rates, not the one told on the phone, on the last stay sandpiper said they didnot have reservation, had to have sandpiper recheck, found under last name first, and wrong rate, they changed the rate at that night stay, but Sean would not bo back to previous nights, thiswas a total $246 total, since then stayed down the street at competitors without any problems costing sandpiper a total of $3600, not too smart, if you deal with them get it in writing because they have very short memories

Room Tip: ont go to sandpiper lodge in santa barbara, calif
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mark R, Owner at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I want to first Thank-you for all the times you have stayed with us in the past,it sounds like your past stays were good and I am happy to hear that. I am sorry if the billing or rates on your last stay was not correct, our rates do change sometimes daily. Please contact us again and ask for my contact info (Mark) if you would still like to talk about the charges, I hope you come back to the Sandpiper Lodge and stay with us again. Thank-you for taking the time to write a review.
Sonoma, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Not knowing Santa Barbara, I left my hotel-fate up to the Hotwire Gods. Their choice... Sandpiper Lodge for $85/night on an early January weekend.

The Sandpiper is a good value for that price. It's a typical U-shaped motel with parking in the center and rooms around the parking lot. My room was on the end so I wasn't bothered by car noise. The water pipe noise from all adjacent rooms however.... pretty loud.

I appreciate having a fridge, coffeemaker, and microwave in the room. The room was comfortable and clean if a bit worn. The bedding was not soft -- a bit scratchy but for the price in a town like Santa Barbara, I should have expected such.

The continental breakfast was pretty good -- tasty pastries and plenty of them. The free wi-fi is a plus as well, though it was a bit slow for my Netflix.

If I was on a budget, I would stay at the Sandpiper again.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are directly at the parking lot. 2nd floor rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sandpiper Lodge? Share your experiences!