We enjoyed our bus trip from LAX and arrived in the afternoon. We thought that we could have had a better welcome from the girl on the desk but were coldly given our key and pointed in the direction. Nobody helped with bags and made our way to our room which we refused right away. It was dark and dingy "but it is clean" we were told but no outlook at all. Out the back were empty cans of paint and an old bike The reception girl was again surley when we mentioned this and definately needs some customer care training. The manager was more accomodating and we were allocated another room which was better although still not the best outlook on to the car park.
Rooms were clean as was the bathroom however the coffee and tea facility allowed for one use per day. Walls were a bit thin and next door seemed to be having a great time !!!!! Breakfast consisted of coffee, a dry croissant and some cereal.
There are a few restaurants nearby and a large supermarket along the road. We ate at the Thai restaurant one evening and in a bar restaurant in the shopping centre the other both of which were good.
Getting into Santa Barbara meant taking a bus which was around £2.00 each per journey and took around 25 mins. This was a pain as although they were fairly frequent it meant hanging around the bus station at night if you wanted to get back, It was cold at night while we were there and I had to buy a jacket.
Santa Barbara is a nice town with plenty of restaurants and plenty of shops. The harbour area is nice to stroll along and you can see dolphins and pelicans hanging about the boardwalk. We took the City Tour which was interesting and wanted to take the Landshark but he did not turn up. Be aware and if you can, ensure it is running every day.
Would I stay at the Sandpiper again no because they need to install some customer care into their staff and it is too far out from the main area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you are visiting Santa Barbara for business or pleasure, we invite you to enjoy the three-diamond amenities and services of the Sandpiper Lodge on Upper State Street. From our prime location on upper State Street, you are poised to experience all that one of California's premier destinations has to offer-beaches, gardens, museums, historical sites, dining, shopping, and entertainment. With well-appointed rooms and suites and a heated pool and spa, the Sandpiper Lodge offers ideal accommodations for budget-minded travelers desiring a degree of sophistication. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, T4B, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandpiper Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandpiper Hotel Santa Barbara
- Sandpiper Motel Santa Barbara
- Sandpiper Santa Barbara
- Sandpiper Inn Santa Barbara