“Good choice in Santa Barbara if you don't want to spend big bucks.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Lodge

You added Sandpiper Lodge to your Saves list
Sandpiper Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3525 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105   |
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Novato, Ca
“Good choice in Santa Barbara if you don't want to spend big bucks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very nice hotel for the price. It is away from downtown and away from the beach but only 10 minutes or so. The room was clean, quite and comfortable. The staff was very nice and efficient. The breakfast wasn't much, cold cereal, bananas and some muffins. I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't take room 109. It is next to the laundry and they start doing the laundry early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brisbane Qld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Found this hotel on line and decided to take a punt considering the price. Right from check in which was very friendly, quick and organised through to the room being very clean, spacious and good amenities including a microwave. I couldn't fault the place. The price is fantastic and the accommodation can't be faulted. The shower has great water pressure. Only thing I would re-consider would be taking an upstairs room to avoid hearing footsteps above. If given the chance I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Go for the upstairs room to avoid hearing people walking around above you
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore City, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Served online and found this hotel. Read the reviews and decided to book it. We arrived around 4 pm and the check in was quick and pleasant. Joshua who was serving us was meticulous and pleasant. He explained the breakfast, car parking, location of our units clearly. Seldom has I seem such dedication. Well done.

The rooms were spacious and clean. Everything is in order.

The location of the lodge is smack in walking distance to shops, restaurants and amenities. Very convenient.

Love this place.

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here for spring break this year...so nice and clean...coffee was wonderful...looking forward to booking for next spring...location wasnt walking distance for kids...but the is was a short drive to everything

• Stayed April 2012
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

At $80 Sandpiper is a great value in Santa Barbara. Our room was clean and spacious, had a flat screen TV, refrigerator, microwave and even a breakfast with excellent pastries. Great shower, with good pressure and hot water. The only downside is the windows are not too soundproof, so one can hear guests rolling their bags by your room late into the night. The buildings surround the parking lot in a U-shape, making access easy and secure, but for some reason, more than a few people here tended to double click their car key, making their horn beep. Not the fault of the property owners. Guests should be more conscientious, especially late at night.
Plenty of restaurants, gas, groceries nearby. But the tourist area of State street is a 5-10 min drive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark R, Owner at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank-you for letting us know about your stay, We are always looking for ways to upgrade our property and noise issue are one of the an important part of a good nights sleep. Thank-you for staying with us and I hope you will return.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in a room with 2 Queen beds, and this room was very spacious in the main area. The bathroom was small but sufficient, and all the areas were very clean. WiFi worked well and was fairly quick. The refrigerator was either not functioning or working very poorly as it was not cold at all, and there was no controls to turn up the coldness, so it was really unuseable. We paid $83.00 for a Sunday night stay on a holiday weekend, (Veteran's Day), so it was definitely a good bargain for the price and size of the room. The staff was very couteous and helpful. I would definitely recommend this to friend and family who would like a clean and spacious room to stay in while visiting Santa Babara.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mark R, Owner at Sandpiper Lodge, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing, please let our front desk know if any items in your room are not working, we will try to repair or replace. Your time is important so Thank-you for writing a review.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stay in lots of hotels in Santa Barbara as I have been taking overnight trips there for over 20 years. In those years I needed to stay at the Sandpiper Lodge sometimes in an emergency, if there was just nothing else available, anywhere, up or down the coast. I could tell stories about it for hours.
When I married my wife and we had an "emergency" night in Santa Barbara and couldn't find ANYTHING else, I told her how I felt about the property and that we would probably never stay there. Even if I had to drive an extra hour north or south. Well, about 4 years ago we were forced to check into my nightmare hotel and everything was just as I remembered it. Loud music coming from the rooms, people "living" in the hotel, poor lighting, moist carpet, hair in the bed and ultimately gunshots and police around 2am...
...Flash forward to last weekend...
You can imagine my hesitation when we needed to get a hotel for the night and the Sandpiper was available in a midlevel price range. Great for emergencies, better than Motel 6 but not as good as $100+ (hopefully) hotels but with my history with this property I would almost rather sleep in the car than even drive into the driveway.
I wish you could feel my suprise to see how much cleaner and brighter the property is. It looks well maintained, The lobby is welcoming and open with front desk staff dressed professionaly. The other people in the parking lot as we walked toward our room looked llike travelers or business people spending the night nearby all of the excitement of Santa Barbara.
We spent the night and slept well. No loud music, no parties, pretty Santa barbara atmosphere, no gunshots (always a plus) and when we checked out there were fresh pastries and coffee had we wanted them. The hotel is average for Santa Barbara. I'm just writing to say that it is so much improved that I would give it a couple more chances.
I've reviewed lots of Santa Barbara hotels and I am sure that I will be back to Sandpiper Lodge again for an overnight. I won't wait until it's an emergency stay next time though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business