“Good value in Santa Barbara” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #35 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles
“Good value in Santa Barbara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We needed a place to stay for one night and sought an affordable alternative. So many hotels in the Santa Barbara area are overpriced, and we were just looking for a hotel that was clean and comfortable. Sandpiper Lodge fit our requirements nicely. We also found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We'll be visiting our daughter in college periodically and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

the floor in the room was sticky and VERY Dirty !!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Really nice hotel. Superb beds bathroom and pool. Great value and fairly easy to find. Bit far from the centre and beach but not a prroblem if you have a car. Front desk were really friendly and very helpful. A nice stay at the Sandpiper.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were heading for the Motel 6 next door, but this hotel was actually cheaper! With comfortable, clean rooms at a high standard, plus free continental breakfast, and gym plus swimming pool, we quickly changed tack. It's quite a walk to the seafront (about 1 hour), but the neighbourhood is lovely, and there is a bus if necessary. There are a few restaurants and shops nearby, so there's no need to trek into town. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Solvang, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here two times in May to look for places to live as we were moving up to Santa Barbara. We randomly got this place by "naming our own price" on Priceline, but were very satisfied. I think we paid a little under $70 after taxes and everything each time. I wasn't expecting much, but the rooms have been upgraded and provide you with everything you would need in a hotel (free wifi, refrigerator, shampoo, conditioner, nice bedding, etc...). Then when we woke up we realized they had a small, but free breakfast. Mainly coffee, juice, pastries, and cereal, but it was all that we needed. We thought it was a good deal, so we stayed there again the second time we went. Overall, it was definitely worth the money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here 3 nights, Thursday - Saturday. Upon checking in I was informed the rates for Fri and Sat were *much* higher than for Thursday. After looking around, this appears pretty standard for pricing in Santa Barbara. The room was quite large with 2 queen-size beds and seperate dressing area. It was relatively clean (they forgot to clean the coffee pot). They also forgot to provide towels, but handed me some at the front desk when asked. Looked to be a common problem as I saw another patron carrying towels the next day. In-room coffee was terrible. Try the coffee in the lobby as part of the free breakfast. Offerings were slim with several types of pastries (pretty decent), 3 types of cereal, OJ, milk and coffee. One morning there were also bananas. Wireless internet was painfully slow (similar to dial-up performance). They had a business center I stumbled across inside the fitness center, which provided access to a printer. It allowed me to do my airport check-in, which was nice and also very slow. Room was reasonably quiet except for water noise when the next room was running water.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Honestly, I have traveled all over and this was by far the worst hotel/motel that I have ever stayed in. The room smelled like old smoke which was interesting as a no smoking sign posted on the desk? I am sure that this use to be a smoking hotel/motel which did not work for me as I have an allergy to smoke. I had to purchase febreeze and other items just to try to tolerate the smell. My feet literally stuck to the carpet by the window, the area outside of my door was flooded every morning. Not sure if they have a drainage problem. The towels along with everything else in the room smelled horrific and the towels were so small (possibly for a small child). I have stayed at places from the Holiday Inn, to the Hyatt Andaz and while I understand why I pay 200-400 for the Hyatt , I am a little confused as to what Iwas paying $240.00 per night for? I will never stay at this hotel again nor recommend to friends or family, personally I would camp at a local park before doing this as at least you would have amazing views and get what you pay for. Plus it actually has cost me more money as I had to do my laundry before leaving santa barbara as there was no way I would load items that had been in that room in my car. I literally could still smell that hotel yesterday while in LA, it was because my purse had absorbed the odor as well. Save yourself the headache and the money and if no hotels available stay at a campground which about 17 miles away, it would have been worth the drive everyday back in to town.

Room Tip: Honestly, I have traveled all over and this was by far the worst hotel/motel that I have ever stayed...