“all lies and false advertising” 1 of 5 stars

Lemon Tree Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2819 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105   |
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Diego
“all lies and false advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

Their website promises free Wireless internet service. I was charged $7.50, It isn't much but I chose them because of this service and the advertised refrigerators in rooms which also wasn't available (and a problem as I am on a special diet.)

The phone in my room didn't work. The walls were scatched up with holes in them. The room was sparsely furnished and the road noise was very apparent. This was quite suprising that I had the entrance to the room off the main street as I was set up for a courtyard/pool view. They don't tell you that the room has an outside entrance onto a major road right by a bus stop. That produced a great deal of noise all heard very clearly inside the room.

There was not a manager on duty to discuss the issues with until the following morning and the front desk staff just kept shugging her shoulders and blowing me off. I am very dissatisfied and will be reporting them to AAA.

• Liked — they were very close to my meeting
  • Disliked — basic services could not be provided - working telephone in room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SBINNKEEPER, Manager at Lemon Tree Inn, responded to this review, February 29, 2008
Hotels response: We do not advertise free Wi-Fi although it is included with certain rates. We also do not offer refrigerators in our rooms but we do have a Bar and Restaurant that serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily as well as Room Service.
Our Hotel is built 'in the round' with the entry doors located conveniently facing the parking lot for ease of access, and almost all rooms have a patio or balcony facing our 1 acre tropical court yard with Hydro-Spa and Huge Swimming Pool.
I often stay overnight at the hotel and I have always found the rooms very well insulated from any neighborhood noises.
I feel the reviewer in this case is fabricating information about our Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2006

I was in this hotel last summer with my husband and we did not have any problem. People at the reception were very kind and in general all the team of the hotel.
The room was very big and it was situated in from of the swimming pool, a big swimming pool with warm water. Fantastic the place. It is situated in the main street of Santa Barbara, but not near of the center, you need a car to go to the center, but in general the feedback of the hotel is good. Also, if you go, do not forget to visit a Japanese restaurant that is only 5 minutes walking from the hotel. Fantastic!

Stayed August 2006
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

I recently visited the Lemon Tree Inn. Unforunately, I found out they discriminate against the disabled. The employess have no training in how to handle and work with disabled persons. In fact, the manager informed me they have no legal reasonability to accomodate disabled persons. Any hotel with this attitude should be on a black list of where not to stay. The hotel also is very unfriendly to childern. Why be in the hotel business if you have no tolerance for childern. It might as well be a adult only hotel. I will never go there again. There are several other properties in the area worth investigating, before booking this property. Trust me, it was as unpleasant a visit as your worst.

• Liked — ample parking
  • Disliked — Refusing to be ADA compliant and saying they do not need to be.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away if you have childern or are disabled.
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SBINNKEEPER, MANAGER at Lemon Tree Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2006
The person who wrote this review did not stay as a guest in our hotel. Our hotel does not discriminate against any persons, especially not disabled children!
During this patron's 5 prior visits to our restaurant he made no attempt to supervise his two-year old twins, allowing them to run around the dining area. Having children running freely around a busy dining area was creating a hazardous situation.
Our Food & Beverage manager had to finally take action to prevent injury to the children, other patrons and staff.
F & B manager was not aware that one of the twins was autistic, and most certainly did not (nor would not) take any action due to the child's particular condition.
los angeles, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

Location was about a few miles from the beach but it was a straight shot. Landscaping was not impressive. There's a restaurant/bar there which is convenient but did not try it and a swimming pool that closed just as we checked in (10:30p). Room was mediocore in decor - could use some new improvements. The room was clean.The customer service was good - nice and polite, esp. at the front desk. Staff were friendly. The requested iron came a bit cracked. We paid close to $200 for a Saturday night which was a bit steep for the room. Do ask for the AAA discount. Overall Average experience as it served our basic need for sleep.

san diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

The front desk service is horrible. We had to wait in line for over 20 mins just to NOT get checked in! The woman said she didn't have a reservation for us, even though I gave them my credit card number over the phone. So we left to call my credit card and luckily ( we thought at the time) they didn't charge it , so we went somewhere else. Now today, I see they charged my credit card for 2 nites I didn't even stay!! I will hopefully have this resolved soon...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — front desk help
  • Tips/Secrets — do not make reservation over phone
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

This Hotel is a complete joke. First of all, it is completely over-priced at $175 a night (with AAA card). The rooms were disgustingly dirty with loose hair all over the place and a sticky bathroom floor. The beds had springs sticking into our backs as we did not get any sleep at all. One person in our group ordered a moldy bagel in the morning at the Restaurant, and there were rats running around the pool in the evening. This isn't even the worst of it. Our group returned on Saturday evening at around 1 in the morning to the late night hotel manager standing in front of our place with an eviction notice for being too loud. We were not even at the hotel that evening so could not have been the ones making noise. He refused to listen to us and called the police on us. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! After the police came and left, since that was a waste of their time, I entered the lobby asking for the night manager's name which of course was refused to be given. I talked to the morning manager, who also refused to give me any names. The guy at the front desk also made me feel that I was the jerk. I was as respectful as I could be in this matter as I am quite mellow. So the only way I can hurt this god awful company is by writing reviews like this. This story is true in every aspect. I hope you will not decide to stay here as there are far better hotels in the Santa Barbara area.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

Dear Lemon Tree: thanks for not providing anything for free at breakfast. No free coffee (that'll be $3.23 for two cups), no free bread, no free cakes, nothing. Thanks. Thanks a lot for not providing coffee making facilities in the room. Thanks for not providing a fridge. Thanks for not providing a microwave. Thanks for not providing HBO. Thanks for not providing free wireless internet - that'll be a charge, too. I feel so good being charged for everything - thankyou so much. Perhaps you could charge me for air - 10 cents for in-breaths, 5 cents for outbreaths.
Oh, and most of all, thanks for the disgraceful customer service. Thanks for not giving me a couple of glasses to enjoy a bottle of wine with. That was Jeff at the restaurant - Jeff's absolutely fantastic at customer service. You should meet him. He'll make you feel loved as a guest. Made some sort of excuse about 'how they get broken' and 'he had to order a crate the other day to replace them'. Thanks for that explanation, fascinating Jeff, and thanks for not saying sorry. Thanks for just laying it on the line, giving it to me tough-guy style, straight - that's the way I like it as a paying customer, I like blank-faced rudeness and hatred.
Jeff offered me some plastic cups. Thanks Jeff, but we have those in the room, about the only things we did get in the room. Guess we should have been glad to be provided with plastic cups. And a bed. And a roof. And four walls.
Complained to the front desk about the wine glass issue, the person there says 'you can write a letter to the manager and I'll give it to him if you like'. No thanks. Nothing would happen if I wrote that letter, because this sort of dreadful attitude distills down from the top - I assume the manager of this place is inept. I'll do my writing here, and hope a few people decide NOT to stay at the Lemon Tree as a result.
What a rip-off for $175 a night. It is a truly terrible place, where customer service comes last and you get nothing extra for your exorbitant room fee. Whatever you do, avoid the Lemon Tree. Talk to Frank at the Inn at East Beach - nothing flash, but very comfortable and good value, with fantastic customer service. He deseves your business. This place most certainly does not.
My wife and I feel like we've been to a hospitality college and encountered the worst of the drop-outs. Take good note of the bad reviews here. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Lemon Tree Inn? Share your experiences!