“Nice motel in Santa Barbara” 4 of 5 stars

Lemon Tree Inn
2819 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105   |
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice motel in Santa Barbara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had the King Jacuzzi Deluxe room. The Jacuzzi isn't worth to write anything about (It's just a bath) but the room itself is big, nice decorated and very clean with a nice balcony overlooking the garden. In the room you have a comfortable kingsize bed TV, coffee/tea making and safe. There's no fridge or microwave and the fridge I really missed during my stay.
The swimming pool is really nice place to relax and feels with the palm trees like a little oases.
The check inn was quick and adequate and parking is not a problem.
It;s very good value for your money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Lemon Tree Inn does not look like much from the outside, but the rooms are big and each room backs up to an adorable, spacious courtyard with lemon trees, a pool and hot tub. The first floor rooms have an outdoor space for eating or drinking coffee in the morning. Other reviewers mentioned the thin walls, but we didn't have any issues, but I think the rooms on either side may have been empty. The rooms are spacious and clean and the beds are comfortable. We had dinner at the Crocodile Cafe which was very good and convenient! Did not realize there was a fitness center - would have used it had we known.

Pros: Pool and hot tub; big rooms; free wi-fi; spacious vanity area - separated from the toilet and shower; flat screen TV; good restaurant on-site; super cute courtyard; friendly staff.

Cons: Small, thin towels - could have used an extra towel or two in the room to use for the pool.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Desert Hot Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had booked this hotel on short notice and had wanted a fairly inexpensive option that was close to downtown Santa Barbara. I stay in Santa Barbara for work sometimes and knew that State Street led directly into the heart of town so that was what I based which place I should stay at. It was a great price compared to other hotels in the area and I knew it wasn’t a high end hotel.

My friend and I had arrived extremely late and the night hotel employees were friendly, checked us in quickly, and gave us quick hotel information.

We had booked a two queen room and the room itself was quite large. The décor is what I would consider “modern” but the outside of the hotel is very retro. No fridge that I could see but there was a safe, an iron, a hair dryer, and a coffee maker. The hotel internet worked really well which made me very happy and the beds were decent to sleep on. Our room overlooked the pool area and it looked very clean and well-maintained.

I will say however, the walls are terribly thin. My friend and I had decided to sleep in the next day but were woken up by our neighbors’ loud talking through the walls. There seems to be a lot of spiders hanging out in the hotel and some came to visit us in our room but I attribute that to Santa Barbara being more bug friendly due to the climate.

I ran up and down State Street when I was there because I didn’t think there was a workout room but I did happen to walk by it on the last day after my run. Also, I was terribly thirsty after running and had gone to the lobby to ask if they had a water fountain and the front desk employee went to the on-site restaurant and got me a cup of water instead. I thought it was a very nice gesture.

Overall, I liked the staff and hotel location but the rooms needed improvement in terms of sound-proofing. Easy to drive to and from but a long walk from downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was very surprised to find the Lemon Tree Inn. It is both affordable and a great retreat with lovely pool, hot tubs and a great little restaurant with surprisingly good food. I had an injury and could not stay on our boat, so the manager found me a great room with a private patio and in this case thankfully close to the ice machine. I had everything I could need and didn't have to leave!
In fact I would go back to the Restaurant for dinner, even if I were not staying there! Now that is something!
Thanks for such great comfort and service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just spent last Friday & Saturday in SB for a wedding. Suggested hotels were $350+ per night. Lemon Tree got great Trip Advisor reviews for half the price, so we booked. Very clean, fantastically remodeled 1950's motel. Room appointments, free parking & wifi (that worked), close to State St, etc. The BIG PLUS here: the pool area was spectacular! Our ground floor room opened onto a small lanai with a nice outdoor table & two chairs. The walkway off our lanai led us to the generous salt water pool, twenty feet from our room! Plenty of lounge chairs & tables w/umbrellas, ice machine twenty steps away. Late afternoon sun, after walking State St in the AM. Reasonably priced beverages from the on site Crocodile Cafe & Bar. Best deal in SB. We will return.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms all had great lanai's, with your own table & two chairs, and are step...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here overnight in Sept 2012. We enjoyed the retro feel with some modern accessories. The patios are large and private. Hotel has been recently remodeled. Still have some modernizing of bathrooms to do.
The pool area is relaxing with lots of trees and shade. Towels were available at the front desk.
The adjacent restaurant was nice, with good food. Nothing to write home about. We sat ourside in the evening and the 1 candlelight at our table was not enough to see our food. A nice touch would be some stringed lights on the umbrellas or stretched across the area.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The only negative was I noticed several spiders and bugs in the room and around the room.
Possibly would recommend an exterminator to solve this problem.
This is a nice location a short drive from downtown Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: recommend a room with the patio away from the busy State Street and it's noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kelowna, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

So, clearly, this is an olderotel that has gone through recent renos to give it a modern feel. We booked this hotel on tripadvisor and it is, by far, the most reasonably priced hotel/motel we've stayed in while traveling through California.

Firstly, it's not fancy, but it's fresh and clean. It bears mention, however, that the room has a shower only so if a bath is your thing, you should be aware of that. Secondly, the bottom sheet seems to have a difficult time staying tucked in, which is quite annoying.

The service, however, is very friendly. The restaurant serves a nice meal. The pool area is very pleasant and there seem to be grounds people constantly doing upkeep, and it shows.

We are on the ground level of this two story motel so we are lucky enough to have a glass sliding door to a seating area overlooking the pool area, which has made for some pleasant reading time.

We originally intended to stay three nights in Santa Barbara but were enjoying it here so much, we're extending our stay to four.

I would stay here again, if only for the price and the great service staff...and the patio.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Lemon Tree Inn? Share your experiences!