“Great staff and location but thin walls!” 3 of 5 stars

Lemon Tree Inn
2819 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105   |
Ranked #32 of 61 hotels in Santa Barbara
So Cal
“Great staff and location but thin walls!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had booked this hotel on short notice and had wanted a fairly inexpensive option that was close to downtown Santa Barbara. I stay in Santa Barbara for work sometimes and knew that State Street led directly into the heart of town so that was what I based which place I should stay at. It was a great price compared to other hotels in the area and I knew it wasn’t a high end hotel.

My friend and I had arrived extremely late and the night hotel employees were friendly, checked us in quickly, and gave us quick hotel information.

We had booked a two queen room and the room itself was quite large. The décor is what I would consider “modern” but the outside of the hotel is very retro. No fridge that I could see but there was a safe, an iron, a hair dryer, and a coffee maker. The hotel internet worked really well which made me very happy and the beds were decent to sleep on. Our room overlooked the pool area and it looked very clean and well-maintained.

I will say however, the walls are terribly thin. My friend and I had decided to sleep in the next day but were woken up by our neighbors’ loud talking through the walls. There seems to be a lot of spiders hanging out in the hotel and some came to visit us in our room but I attribute that to Santa Barbara being more bug friendly due to the climate.

I ran up and down State Street when I was there because I didn’t think there was a workout room but I did happen to walk by it on the last day after my run. Also, I was terribly thirsty after running and had gone to the lobby to ask if they had a water fountain and the front desk employee went to the on-site restaurant and got me a cup of water instead. I thought it was a very nice gesture.

Overall, I liked the staff and hotel location but the rooms needed improvement in terms of sound-proofing. Easy to drive to and from but a long walk from downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was very surprised to find the Lemon Tree Inn. It is both affordable and a great retreat with lovely pool, hot tubs and a great little restaurant with surprisingly good food. I had an injury and could not stay on our boat, so the manager found me a great room with a private patio and in this case thankfully close to the ice machine. I had everything I could need and didn't have to leave!
In fact I would go back to the Restaurant for dinner, even if I were not staying there! Now that is something!
Thanks for such great comfort and service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just spent last Friday & Saturday in SB for a wedding. Suggested hotels were $350+ per night. Lemon Tree got great Trip Advisor reviews for half the price, so we booked. Very clean, fantastically remodeled 1950's motel. Room appointments, free parking & wifi (that worked), close to State St, etc. The BIG PLUS here: the pool area was spectacular! Our ground floor room opened onto a small lanai with a nice outdoor table & two chairs. The walkway off our lanai led us to the generous salt water pool, twenty feet from our room! Plenty of lounge chairs & tables w/umbrellas, ice machine twenty steps away. Late afternoon sun, after walking State St in the AM. Reasonably priced beverages from the on site Crocodile Cafe & Bar. Best deal in SB. We will return.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms all had great lanai's, with your own table & two chairs, and are step...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here overnight in Sept 2012. We enjoyed the retro feel with some modern accessories. The patios are large and private. Hotel has been recently remodeled. Still have some modernizing of bathrooms to do.
The pool area is relaxing with lots of trees and shade. Towels were available at the front desk.
The adjacent restaurant was nice, with good food. Nothing to write home about. We sat ourside in the evening and the 1 candlelight at our table was not enough to see our food. A nice touch would be some stringed lights on the umbrellas or stretched across the area.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The only negative was I noticed several spiders and bugs in the room and around the room.
Possibly would recommend an exterminator to solve this problem.
This is a nice location a short drive from downtown Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: recommend a room with the patio away from the busy State Street and it's noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kelowna, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

So, clearly, this is an olderotel that has gone through recent renos to give it a modern feel. We booked this hotel on tripadvisor and it is, by far, the most reasonably priced hotel/motel we've stayed in while traveling through California.

Firstly, it's not fancy, but it's fresh and clean. It bears mention, however, that the room has a shower only so if a bath is your thing, you should be aware of that. Secondly, the bottom sheet seems to have a difficult time staying tucked in, which is quite annoying.

The service, however, is very friendly. The restaurant serves a nice meal. The pool area is very pleasant and there seem to be grounds people constantly doing upkeep, and it shows.

We are on the ground level of this two story motel so we are lucky enough to have a glass sliding door to a seating area overlooking the pool area, which has made for some pleasant reading time.

We originally intended to stay three nights in Santa Barbara but were enjoying it here so much, we're extending our stay to four.

I would stay here again, if only for the price and the great service staff...and the patio.

• Stayed September 2012
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you want to have a sleepless night, stay in this hotel. Poor noise isolation between the rooms. Beds are hard as a rocks. Room was ok. Carpet contains some stains. BR towels need major upgrade. I'm not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SBINNKEEPER, Manager at Lemon Tree Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
We are pleased to announce that since your stay in April 2012 we have replaced our beds and carpet. In addition we also replaced our furniture and many other enhancements that will surely provide a completely upgraded experience over your stay 5 months ago. Our restaurant has just received a new Breakfast menu which is offered 7 days a week. The Lemon Tree Inn is constantly upgrading and improving and we thank you for taking the time to review us!
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My sister and brother-in-law live in Santa Barbara and recommended this little hotel/motel since it's close to their house and because they frequent the Crocodile Bar/Restaurant that is part of the facility. I rented a room on the ground floor with sliding glass doors going out to a little patio overlooking the swimming pool. There were actual LEMON TREES everywhere, so that came in handy for adding to a refreshing cold beer! The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable. You can tell it's an older facility, but they've done a pretty good job of doing a modern facelift. The only thing I didn't like was the exterior doors. MANY places in SB have exposed exterior doors, even the Montecito Inn, so no worries. I'll be back to the Lemon Tree!

Room Tip: Request a room that is not on the side of the hotel backing up to State street and I'm sure you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Lemon Tree Inn? Share your experiences!