“Beautiful Location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Dining Credit
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Hopefully somewhere I want to be
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I attended a wedding at this location and was quite impressed with the grounds. In looking at the rooms in comparison with the price, I did not feel that this location was a value and we opted to stay elsewhere. The food was satisfactory, the environment appeared a bit dated though classy, but the location was extraordinary. The staff was accommodating and didn't appear to mind the children's excitement (loud, high velocity excitement). Thank you Fess Parker, too bad we couldn't spend more time with you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Turkish first
Buena Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were at the Fess Parker for a wedding, which was held in the rotunda. During our three day stay, we were treated very well by the staff, which was instantly ready to do whatever it took to make our experience the best. One of the waitstaff, Xiomara by name, went completely above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I was pleased with the service. I cannot commend her highly enough. One of the valets, whose name, I believe, was Dave, went out of his way to make sure our physically handicapped son enjoyed his stay. The people there were great.
The rotunda with the ocean for a backdrop made an unforgettable view for the wedding, giving the ceremony a personality as unique as the happy couple in whose honor we were gathered. The Fess has a personality all its own, mixing Santa Barbara history with the modern conveniences we've come to expect.
The placement couldn't be better. The beach across the street, Stearn's Wharf a short walk up the road, a vegetable stand across the railroad tracks, and, if you have children with a particular culinary taste, McDonald's around the block.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My Daughter had a great time in the pool. There was a nice covered area to relax and watch her swim. The water was great with plenty of room for everyone. Resort was clean and all staff was friendly and helpful. Bar staff was nice. Security was helpful. Best of all the pool. only bummer was paying for parking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I only read the reviews for this resort after I had already booked a weekend getaway at this hotel.
To say the least, I was a little concerned what I got myself into. Room with dog hair, train traffic all night, shabby furniture. OMG, what a perspective.
After reading all of that, I called the hotel prior to arrival to at least make sure that I will not get one of their pet friendly rooms. First I talked to somebody at the frontdesk, I addressed my desire to not being placed in a room where they allow dogs. I was told, since I payed my stay with HH Points, I can't be helped but she will transfer me to the specialist for Hilton Honor Members. So, I explained again that I would like to get a room assigned where there was no dog guests prior to me, due to dog hair allergy. Again I was told that she can't take my request, but she will put me through the Hilton Honor Member Call Center. Third time is a charm and I again told my story. The friendly Gentlemen told me that I will have to place such a special request direct with the frontdesk of the hotel. Well, that's where I started my journey. Long story short, he offered to enter a note on my reservation but he couldn't promise that it will be considered.
After all of that, I kind of arrived with an attitude to just be surprised. The room was as requested not pet friendly and it was clean. Furniture in very good condition - Hawaiian style with pineapple shaped lamps. We only had a Standard Mountain View room, but it was very roomy with nice shutters. Patio facing east with morning sun.
Bathroom with one sink inside and a vanity outside. Towels were not really Resort quality. And not enough. I don't like to be short on towel supply. The ones which where hanging on the rod looked like somebody used them before. Which of course was not the case, but I guess there is not enough time allocated for bathroom set up. The towels could be of higher quality and there is no robe and slippers.
The mattress definately needs to be replaced. We had a King with a pot hole. Old fashion wire coils poked me. And the feather pillows....didn't know that they are still around. Rather on the uncomfortable side, but it all comes down to what you are used to.
The Inroom coffee maker comes with Wolfgang Puck signature pads and delivers good quality coffee for a bright start in the day. There is even single serve half and half milk available, not just the packaged creamer.
The heated pool is big and there is also a jacuzzi fitting 8 people. This is a family friendly place and the pool was occupied by a herd of kids who had a blast in the pool, so I didn't want to disturb their fun.
This is a very nice place if you happen to get a remodeled room as we obviously did.
To me it takes a little more to call a place resort.
Parking fees are already resort standard with $19 a day.
There is public parking on the street, but you can't leave your car overnight as there is 'no parking' signs posted for the hours after midnight until early morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks and upstairs for more privacy. If you need action get a p...
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Drab, shabby and just plain out of date! This place needs a total make over. Popcorn ceilings, dark rooms, lamps with low wattage, small and flat bed pillows. dirty light switches.....the list goes on and on. Could not wait to check out the next morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest accommodations to improve our provided experience. We hope you will visit us in the future and see how we've improved. Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well, you already know that the rooms here are expensive. And you probably also know that it is designed to churn out one gorgeous blown-out wedding after another. But what you may not know is that this property is one of the most family-friendly places I have been to, certainly at this level of hotel in the SB area.

When I entered the gorgeous, expansive lobby I initially thought, uh-oh... I'm going to spend all weekend telling my kids, Don't touch that! Don't touch that! But I got my room keys, walked past the pool, and lo and behold, a sea of kids and families frolicking in the pool and hot tub. The rooms were quite large and very well furnished. No pretension from the staff whatsoever. My kids loved the shuffleboard area and miniature golf - no extra charge. You can rent a variety of bicycles and beach gear conveniently. The property is directly across the street from the beach (and a lifeguard station is right there too). So I would have to say we were pleasantly surprised to find a nice property that embraces our kids too!

Why only four stars and not five - well, as grand as this resort is, it is admittedly showing some signs of wear and tear. However, the imperfections are small (compared with some other 4-star properties I have seen) and they are planning a renovation this year. So if you're looking for an upscale property in the SB area to visit with your kids, this is the place.

Room Tip: If you're weary of resort prices, there is an excellent little local market (Tri County Produce...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mlavine, Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our resort. We are so pleased that you selected our resort for your family's visit to Santa Barbara and hope to welcome you back real soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

What an incredible location! We had an amazing view from our room on the second floor of the main building. Palm trees and ocean as far as the eye could see. The first evening we sat on the patio savoring wonderful margs from the downstairs bar, listening to the ocean & enjoying the breeze. Staff was very attentive, food and drinks were excellent. After the first night, staff knew us & greeted us by name. This isn't the newest hotel, but it is well maintained & very clean. We used points to cover our 3-day stay, so the only thing we paid for was parking & food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
The comments of our guests are so important and the detailed information you provided is greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing your wonderful description of our location and service and for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Been to The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort? Share your experiences!