“Great Place for the non- stuffy crowd” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Orange County, CA
“Great Place for the non- stuffy crowd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I write this review in response to the negative reviewers of this resort.

Yes, the rooms are outdated and the carpets in the rooms are worn and old, and the bathtubs are tiny, but it is a wonderful resort. The location is unbelievable and the entrance/lobby cannot be beaten. It's Christmas and their Christmas tree is impressive.

My wife and I attended a 2 day business meeting affair this past weekend. The meeting room on the 3rd floor was airy and comfortable, the restaurant for breakfast and lunch-same deal,

The hotel rooms were huge and every room has a balcony or patio, and the beds were comfy. I always have a hard time sleeping in strange beds and I can attest that Fess beds passed the grades.

The service was great-just fine. And get this, I left my portable water bottle in our room and they mailed it UPS to my home the next day.

Note to Fess Hotel Manager- the $19.00 per day parking fee must stop. This is not NYC or San Francisco.

Room Tip: Stay away from rear rooms, might have to pay for the upgrade. Trains run by the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Fantastic situation just across the road from the beach and not far from down town shopping and eating. Very large property. We had a room at the back of the hotel beside the car park. the railway line runs the other side of the car park and we were woken at about 2 or 3 am with what sounded like a train coming through the room. The first evening ( we had driven on Hy1 from Monetrey) we decided to eat in the hotel - after a couple of beers (cocktails for the ladies) we had a very nice meal on the terrace, looking at a spectacular sunset.

Room Tip: Look for a room facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Las Cruces
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Our room faced the ocean & walk way. Perfect location. We will stay again. Close to everything.
No problems. Did not eat at hotel. Many restaurants & other attractions within walking distance.
It is a large property. Family friendly.

Room Tip: Ocean side if possible.
Escondido, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been driven to write a nasty review regarding the Santa Barbara Double tree Hilton. I just cancelled my reservations for my 60 th birthday weekend. I had originally booked 3 days at the beautiful and usually accommodating hotel. Due to unforeseen circumstances we had an unexpected death of a beloved aunt and her services were on one of the days we had booked. We called to change one day of our reservation and they graciously bumped the cost of all three days. So much for condolences and making my stay a memorable 60th. I spoke to the manager and explained that I would be willing to pay the additional fee for the one night but not the other two nights as nothing changed with them. I was told it was hotel policy. I have stayed in this hotel off and on for the last 25 years and am sad that they feel the need to gouge the grieving. So much for sorry for your loss. I know someone else will come along and snap up the room for even more. At least it will not be me. Shame on you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are very sorry to hear of your loss and apologize for the frustration you experienced. Our reservations team is prepared to handle situations like this and they do everything they can to assist our guests at difficult times. However, if the dates or length of stay changes, some times a rate change will apply. Thank you for your review. The comments of our guests always helps us improve the service to our guests.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had traveled from SF down the Pacific Coast Highway stoping at Hearst Castle and continuing to Santa Barbara spending two nights, before continuing to Los Angles for Thanksgiving with family and friends. The room was large and more than adequate. We opted to have Bed and breakfast and found the buffet a delight. The view of the mountains was breath taking, the room was very quite, clean, and the king bed was very comfortable. Having the ocean across the road directly in front of the resort offered a spectacuar view. The staff was friendly and attentive. Next year we are considering returning for a week prior to our trip to Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Cannot rate Spa as we did not use any of this part of the facility.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
mlavine, General Manager at The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for selecting our resort for your recent stay in Santa Barbara. We greatly appreciate your thoughtful review of our property and feel very fortunate that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I kept thinking about what to write while i was staying here. Overall it is a nice place with friendly staff. Some parts of my room seem dirty like the ceiling tiles above the sink had a lot of dust build up and looked like they were never touched for the last ten years. The hallways had a musty smell likely from the carpet being older. The setup of the hotel was strange and hard to get to your room on the second floor. Stairs and elevators were not by each other. I think $99-125 would be a fair rate here. I was on a company trip but I think I would try another place if I was paying for it.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I always appreciate the comments from our guests. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff. They strive so hard to provide the best hotel service possible. In regards to your other comments, i want to let you know that we are in the planning stages of a major guestroom renovation which will begin in 2013. If your plans include a return trip to Santa Barbara, I hope you will return to experience the remodeled guestrooms.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The main reception areas are quite pleasant, but the hotel behind the scenes is looking a little unloved, mismatched carpet when you go to the rooms wallpaper looking old, needs a revamp. The rooms a quite nice but a railway line runs behind to take note! Overall its an OK hotel but nothing special. very nice staff.

Room Tip: avoid the rear rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take the comments of our guests very seriously and apolgozie that your recent experience did not meet your expectations. We do want you to know a major guestroom and corridor renovation is in the planning stage and will begin in 2013. If your plans include a return visit to Santa Barbara, we hope you will contact our resort direct for assistance with a room location that will meet your expectations. Your business is important to us and we hope you return to experience our new / fresh look throughout the resort. .

Been to The Fess Parker - A Doubletree by Hilton Resort? Share your experiences!