“Lovely Grounds at Ramada” 5 of 5 stars

Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bakersfield
“Lovely Grounds at Ramada”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

This was our second trip this year to Ramada Limited and Santa Barbara. I know we will be returning often as our daughter is a student at the nearby UC Santa Barbara and we always enjoy our stay at this hotel.
The grounds, with a beautiful lagoon-like pond with fish, turtle, ducks and lovely citrus and other flowering trees and plants, give a wonderful welcome and first impression. The pool and spa areas are very inviting also. There is a delicious breakfast served each morning for several hours...and each room has in room coffee, a small refrigerator and microwave. The tv lineup includes HBO for free. Overall the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, and the front desk staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We always look forward to our visits to Santa Barbara and this Ramada Limited is a very positive part of that experience.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff & proximitiy to UCSB
  • Disliked — It was a little noisy around 4:30 a.m. outside of hotel...trash truck maybe?
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Santa_Barbara_Ramada, Manager at Ramada Limited Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 27, 2008
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Ramada experience with other traveller's. We try to make every guest's stay a truly memerable experience and from your review it looks like we got it right. All of your comments regarding the property and it amenities are the exact experience we hope all of our guests enjoy. We look forward to serving you, your family and friends in the future.

Ramada Santa Barbara.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Wellington, NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

We had 2 nights here with teenage children.I nabbed the separate room which was very comfortable.The room was ok and the pool and breakfast acceptable.Not close to the action but ok for what you pay.

• Liked — nice pool tidy rooms with space
  • Disliked — stairs not a lift
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa_Barbara_Ramada, Manager at Ramada Limited Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 24, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to tell people about your experiences at the Ramada Santa Barbara. While we are a 5 to 10 minute drive away from downtown and UCSB we make up for it with our value. With a combination of great rates, many complimentary amenities and friendly service guests such as yourself are who we are here to serve.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Ramada back in June 2006 when our oldest son graduated from UCSB. We chose it primarily due to its proximity to the university so the amenities were less of an issue for us.

We went back to the hotel last month to move our younger son to his dorm at UCSB. And what a pleasant surprise! The hotel went through a major renovation and the results were simply beautiful. The ambiance was fresh and clean. The rooms were tastefully decorated. The bathrooms were upgraded and had great water pressure. The microwave and refrigerator were very nice additions. Service at the front desk was fast, professional, and friendly. The free continental breakfast offered a variety of choices plus the coffee was outstanding. Our stay was much more enjoyable than I remembered from our past experience. And all these for a very reasonable and competitive pricing!

Ramada is the place for us whenever we visit our son in the next 4 years at UCSB.

• Liked — Great deal
  • Disliked — Cannot think of any
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Congratulations on having another UCSB student! We are very happy that you like the remodel which was completed 2008. We try and pay attention to the details of our guest requests to provide the best service and value possible. The coffee is Peerless brand out of San Fransisco which you can purchase at your local grocery store near the other high end coffee selections. We also added brand new Sealy Posturpedic mattresses in all of the rooms. Whenever you are are in town give us a call and we will continue to provide you with our top level service and value.

Best Regards,
Ramada
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

It's not your normal Ramada!

I vowed that the Baltimore Ramada Inn (off airport) would be my last - calling that one a cesspool would be a compliment! But, having lived in the SB area at one time, I knew the location of this one and had seen it before so didn't think it could be too bad - plus the price from Hotwire was compelling.

First, be sure to get a 2nd floor unit overlooking the lagoon - it's worth the additional price. As others have said, this is the best experience and superior to the "mountain view" side (aka parking lot view and the noise to go with it).

Furniture is above average Ramada quality, bed is very very comfortable. Other than that, the place is like an older woman wearing too much make-up. Instead of replacing wall paper in the bathroom and main room, they just painted over it (poorly) with a baby-p--p yellow color. Doors are old, frames are old and with too many coats of paint, cleanliness is OK but they hit all the high traffic areas as usual in most hotels... if an upright vacuum can't get there, the dust bunnies collect.

So, considering the options in Santa Barbara area and if you can get a room for less than 120, it's not a bad place and you can squint your eyes to overlook the weary exterior - just spend more time near the lagoon and continental breakfast...

• Liked — The Lagoon
  • Disliked — The weary exterior
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hello Esmeralda,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the Ramada Santa Barbara. We are so glad that you enjoyed the award winning landscaping of our Garden and Lagoon area. I am hoping you had time to enjoy the pool and hot tub which is nestled in the middle of all of that beauty as well. As you stated many people are very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the free breakfast we serve every morning.

With regards to any dust bunnies we apologize for any inconvience. Our hotel ranks in the top percentile for guest room cleanliness of Califonia Ramadas as we try to stress attention to detail. I can assure you we will continue to make our best efforts to exceed our guests expectations in these and all other areas.

We have heard similar comments to yours about the new mattresses. If you are interested they are Sealy Posturpedics.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

Kindly,
Ramada
Santa Cruz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

We just returned from two nights at the Santa Barbara Ramada. When we arrived, we were disappointed with the room. Although the room was large and the lagoon very pretty, the 'one and a half million dollar remodel' seemed to include only surface items such as linens and curtains. The bathroom was old as were the doors, windows and climate control system. It was mostly clean although there were some hairs on the toilet and some aging grout. I was somewhat uncomfortable paying $209 a night for the room plus tax but what really set me over the edge was the appearance of a roach on the wall when we returned to the room for the night. I immediately called the manager who said it must have been a lone roach that wandered in. We killed it and a very unconcerned maintenance man picked it up. There was absolutely no adjustment of our bill even though I had trouble sleeping because I kept wondering if other roaches were in the room every time I turned out the light. I am amazed that the manager did not think a roach was a major problem. She told me about the recent remodel as though that proved that the hotel couldn't have roaches.

• Liked — Size of room
  • Disliked — Roach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
motpat, Manager at Ramada Limited Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 24, 2008
We are sorry that the appearance of the rogue roach caused you such distress. Our hotel is situated on three acres of lushly landscaped grounds and the rooms have large sliding glass doors, so there is always the possibility of a bug getting into one of the rooms. We absolutely agree that this is not acceptable and to avoid such incidents we have Ecolab Pest Control treat our property monthly. This is in addition to the normal cleaning that our staff does daily. We are graded twice each year by Ramada Corporate and have consistently received an “A” rating, which is given to less than 10% of all Ramada hotels. This rating is based on cleanliness, guest satisfaction and adherence to brand standards. We did indeed spend close to $1.5 million dollars on our remodel which included all new furniture, light fixtures, carpeting, mattresses, linens, drapes, artwork, paint & wall coverings and improved access for our disabled guests.

But even with all of these measures put into place, nature is nature and some things we just cannot control. I assure you the maintenance man on duty was non-plussed, not because he is used to roaches in our hotel rooms, but rather his stoic personality. Our front desk agent was upset that she could not offer you another room as we were sold out. We were not aware at the time of check out that you had endured a sleepless night due to your fear of more roaches.

We are appreciative that we had the opportunity to follow up with you via a telephone conversation and provide you with a refund for that night. We are glad you enjoyed our lagoon and the spaciousness of our rooms and are willing to consider staying with us again the next time that you return to Santa Barbara.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Good size rooms, comfy bed, friendly staff, good breakfast -- lots of variety for a complimentary breakfast, free wifi, quiet room.
Noisy air conditioner - we opened the sliding door for fresh air overnight.

• Liked — convenience, price, cleanliness, inclusions
  • Disliked — noisy air conditioner, big pillows-hard to sleep on
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I booked a two-night stay directly through the hotel website several months before my August 2008 arrival date. When my arrival plans changed (would not arrive until Saturday night), I called to cancel just the Friday night reservation. I was informed for the first time of a "two-night minimum stay". I combed through my confirmation, both the one I printed months ago as well as the one I accessed on my Wyndham Rewards account (while I was on the phone with the clerk). There was absolutely no mention of a two-night minimum, nor was there any mention on the website when I first booked. The reservation clerk didn't care. I had to cancel the entire reservation or pay for two nights when I only needed one.

Of course this left me in a very bad position, only three days before my arrival in Santa Barbara for a wedding. I scrambled and was lucky to find a hotel that exceeded my customer service expectations (see my review for Traveler's Motel).

Incidentally, I went to the Ramada website and tried booking reservations for other weekend stays in the same time frame. NOTHING about a two-night minimum. Since the hotel won't bother to warn you, take my own warning to heart.

Stayed August 2008

Been to Ramada Limited Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!