We stayed one night at the Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites. We had a voucher for a free night at any Best Western and choose Santa Barbara since we had been wanting to visit again. We decided to stay at the Encina Lodge & suites based on other reviews.
The motel was nice. We did not use the pool or spa, but they looked nice. Our room was on the 2nd floor, above the restaurant, and there were only tiled stairs to get to our floor. This was a bit of an issue for us as it was raining and our daughter has some mobility issues. If I had known about the stairs, I would have requested a first floor room.
Our room was dated, but clean. The beds were comfortable. I know that others think that they are rock hard, but ours were not. I guess we lucked out and got good beds in our room. The bathroom was older tile, but it was in great shape. There was a recliner in our room, which was a first for us at an hotel. One of the walls were covered in mirrors (???) and the rest of the walls were wallpapered. Everything was in good working order.
The staff were very friendly. My daughter loved the gift shop and purchased a few small items. They had coffee hot and ready when we arrived in the lobby. The bath products were Crabtree & Evelyn. Nice.
Now onto the restaurant. It was horrible. We waited over 45 minutes after ordering our food for it's arrival. It was pathetic. The servers were never in the dining room, but with only 2 tables being used, I guess that they felt that they could all stand around the bar and talk. As we only ordered breakfast- eggs, pancakes, bacon and fruit- we expected it to come out in a timely manor. It did not! And, it was not good when it did come out! The fruit was moldy. The pancakes were tiny and not very good. The eggs were pitifully small (it said eggs, but seemed to be part of an egg on each of our plates). The bacon was good. Our bill, with no drinks, was $50. I am certain that our meals cost the restaurant no more than $3. I think that they had more cost in their linens than our food.
Next time that we visit Santa Barbara, we are most likely going to stay at another hotel, based largely on the restaurant. It is sad, since we were told when we arrived that the restaurant was not owned by the hotel, but when that is your only on site breakfast option, we will pick elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on a quiet residential street lined with turn-of-the-century homes, the BEST WESTERN PLUS Encina Lodge & Suites in Santa Barbara offers all the amenities of a small luxury hotel with the charm of a bed and breakfast inn. Relax by the garden pool, enjoy the aviary, book a massage, or simply unwind on your own private patio or balcony. Ideal for extended stays or family vacations, Encina Lodge offers a variety of accommodations, including guest rooms, suites, and apartments. Quilted bedding and floral accents lend the rooms their quaint country charm. Many of the units have full kitchens; plus Las Aves Café is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with room service available.Located in midtown, the hotel is adjacent to Sansum-Santa Barbara Medical Foundation Clinic and Cottage Hospital, and is just minutes from historic downtown, the Red-Tile Walking Tour, Mission Santa Barbara, golf courses, beaches, wineries, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Encina Lodge & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Encina Hotel Santa Barbara
- Best Western Encina Hotel
- Best Western Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Best Western