“Better than ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles, California
“Better than ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was so excited about returning to El Encanto and I was not disappointed. In fact...I truly believe it's much better now than ever before. The staff was amazing. Walking around the grounds (which are beautiful!!). The historic lilly pond was restored brick by brick, the famous wishing well is still lovely. I would run into staff members and you would think it was their own home the way they described the new hotel. They were so excited and happy and they would tell me stories about the hotel like they were trained docents. I love seeing staff happy and proud of where they work. This makes for a better experience for the guests.

The bar staff was fun but respectful and made me feel at home, the terrace staff was so attentive that at times I thought they must think I was a celebrity. My room was beautiful. After dinner I came back to find a roaring fireplace, beds turned down, dim lights and a lovely cake (I had told them it was my birthday).

The next day at lunch on the terrace, I felt I was in someone's private home. Even the guests were friendly and since I was having lunch with a Santa Barbra resident I was graciously included in their warm hellos. Can't wait to come back to what I now consider my second home.

Room Tip: Hard to decide which rooms are better. This time we stayed in a bungalow close to the pool. No noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Laura M, General Manager at Belmond El Encanto, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Cynthia P.,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear you had a terrific experience. I am so appreciative of our amazing team members and am glad to hear you experienced their sense of pride in El Encanto during your stay. I will certainly make sure they see your comments! Looking forward to your next visit!

Best wishes, Laura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Well overdue for some much needed R&R, I enjoyed several unimaginable moments at the El Encanto. This is a special place I could return to again and again to discover something memorable each time. "Harmoniously Elegant" is the phrase that comes to mind. The lobby bar at sunset was a sexy place for cocktails and live music. The food was fabulously delicious. Loved the Floating Island dessert...sublime! The spectacular city and ocean views can't be described, only felt. The landscaping is beautifully appointed and wonderfully fragrant. My room was exactly what I needed...unpretentious comfort. Plush bed, velvety robe, heated bathroom floors, hot rainfall shower, private patio and attentive service across the board. What rewarding escape! Next time...spa day with my girlfriends!

Room Tip: Room 601...morning coffee on the patio. Beautiful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Laura M, General Manager at Belmond El Encanto, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear MsEscapades,

I am so glad you found such a respite here at El Encanto! 601 is one of my favorite rooms as well. With each room being unique we have so many great spaces to find a quiet moment, next time perhaps you will discover another great one! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed two days at this property in April 2013 for a business meeting. The hotel has pulled off quite a feat by maintaining the integrity of an older, even iconic, Spanish style group of bungalows in a spacious garden setting. Despite their classic looks, once you get inside, the rooms have the latest in bathroom fixtures (with fast-running water in the showers), entertainment options, endless power outlets - amenities not usually associated with older facilities. It is clear that the renovation that closed the shut down for several years has succeeded. The public areas were outstanding: the health club has state of the art equipment and the swimming pool ( I am an everyday swimmer) was a treat: about 20 meters long and rectangular and using salt as opposed to chlorine. Great for laps! The dining area has a inside and an outside portion, the outside being one I really enjoyed - given the magnificent view of the Santa Barbara coast. I cannot comment on the restaurants, as my meeting had its meals programmed. But the restaurant decor was very tasteful with carefully chosen dinnerware. But for me the crucial feature that will bring me back for personal visits for rest and recreation was the tranquility and comfort of the room. Exceptionally luxurious sheets and comforters and a fire place in the corner. The zen-like character of the surrounding gardens made for one of my most most enjoyable sleeps ever. The staff was excellent: checkin was quick, turndown service was total and the parking valets were courteous and quick.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently stayed at El Encanto with my family, after their re-opening. We loved our experience...beautiful views and rooms,friendly staff and wonderful food. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed at the newly renovated El Encanto and was very pleased. Everything on this sprawling 7 acre one story and two story, simple, understated bungalow property with its lovely landscaping and charming lily pond and arbor creates a welcoming aura.

The ocean view from both the covered deck and the dining room is stunning. Every table has a wonderful view! You seriously should make a trip up here for this if you are visiting in the area, it's worth it.

There are pathways and steps leading to the individual bungalows. Bungalows that I stayed in had comfortable seating patios outside. Inside there was good natural light with lots of windows, wood floors, oriental rugs, gas fireplaces, and generously sized writing desks.
The flat screen tv's and Nespresso machines just add to the fun of being in the room.

A pre-printed welcome note, signed from the general manager and accompanied by a small bowl of fresh fruit is a nice touch.

All is immaculately clean, nicely done, and they have the most incredibly comfortable beds, pillows and silky-soft sheets!

White sheer window treatments cover the windows during the day, and black-out curtains provide additional privacy at night.

The new bath towels were thick, soft and very absorbent.
Toiletries are 1.3 fluid oz. sizes from Aqua di Parma, which smell wonderful.
Water pressure was very good.

The 74 degree heated pool surrounded by lounge chairs looked very inviting, with the pool's unobstructed view of the ocean.

All of El Encanto management and staff went out of their way to be helpful and nice, with gracious and attentive service, from the valet parking attendants ($35 daily rate if you are staying overnight - but free if you have just come to use the spa or dine at the restaurant), to the front desk (Katie, Kelly, Laura and Maximo), to housekeeping, to the dining room during meal times.

Breakfast was delicious, and service was prompt from the smiling Mauricio.
A wonderful Huevos rancheros with attractive presentation, and with a steaming hot latte in an enormous cup:)

Afternoon tea was superb. Exquisite china and serving pieces, a plethora of freshly made offerings with the $30 dollar menu and 6 loose leaf teas to choose from.
They outdid themselves with this incredibly elegant tea service, even surpassing the award winning luxury hotels that serve afternoon tea in London!

From about 6:30 a.m. to approximately 8:00 p.m. there is some road noise from the nearby residential streets, the loading dock / trash bins area adjacent to the valet parking circle / entrance to the hotel , on the private service driveways meant for valet parking as they take cars to and from the overnight garage, housekeeping / maintenance as they trundle by with their carts, and the gardeners with what I think was their leaf blowers but may have been some other sort of landscaping gadget.

However, at night I had a blissful relaxing quiet sleep.
Luxury Cottage Wishing Well is my personal favorite, and deluxe 703 would be my second choice, with a delightful filtered view of the ocean through the treetops on a clear sunny day.

Next time, I will try the Spa!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Laura M, General Manager at Belmond El Encanto, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Cinderella_Dearest,

Thank you for the comprehensive and wonderful review! It is great to see El Encanto through your eyes! I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and were able to experience so many of our amenities and dining options. We very much look forward to seeing you again very soon, the Spa is calling!

Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Kudos to the newly remodeled El Encanto! The last time I visited the El Encanto was over 10 years ago. They have always had the best views in the city, but were in need of a refresh. Well that refresh has been completed, and they did a fantastic job. The new hotel has the perfect mix of feeling like a classic, but sporting hip modern undertones.

Sitting on the patio sipping one of their signature cocktails around sunset is something all visitors to Santa Barbara should put on their to do list. Sitting perched up on the riviera provides expansive views of the city, pacific ocean, and channel islands which are unrivaled. The patio is large and expansive so you can find your own little private corner to take in the sunset.

We stayed for dinner a well, which was delicious!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here over spring break, I dont know where to begin.
This property truly is quintessential Santa Barbara.
The hotel is elegant, tasteful, and cozy all wrapped up in one.
The grounds, decor, tasty food and service is all top notch.
I enjoyed my stay so much that we are coming back in August and throwing a birthday bash here.
My new favorite spot to get away from it all, cant wait to come back this summer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Candy S,

I am so glad to see you enjoyed Spring Break at El Encanto! Please let us know if you need any assistance planning your August visit. Our Catering team will be happy to help to make your birthday celebration unforgettable!

Best wishes, Laura

Been to Belmond El Encanto? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Belmond El Encanto

Address: 800 Alvarado Place, Santa Barbara, CA 93103
Location: United States > California > Santa Barbara
Bar / Lounge Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#1 Family Hotel in Santa Barbara
#2 Spa Hotel in Santa Barbara
#3 Romantic Hotel in Santa Barbara
#3 Luxury Hotel in Santa Barbara
#7 Business Hotel in Santa Barbara
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Belmond El Encanto 5*
Belmond El Encanto, a Forbes Five-Star luxury hotel, has been meticulously restored to capture all the romance and glamour that endeared it to both the local Santa Barbara community and visitors alike. As part of Belmond, this is the company's first excursion to the American west coast.

Ninety-two quintessential, California-styled suites and bungalows dot the lush, terraced grounds featuring seven-acres of gloriously landscaped gardens with sweeping views of Santa Barbara and the Pacific Ocean.

Original architectural features have been lovingly restored, including the historic, trellis-lined Arbor and Lily Pond. Modern additions to the expansive outdoor zero-edge pool and a new beautifully appointed boutique spa enhance the journey for today's luxury-seeking guest.
... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Belmond, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Belmond El Encanto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
El Encanto Hotel And Garden Villas

If you own or manage Belmond El Encanto, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.