“Not what i expected, not happy” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Goleta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, CA 93117   |
Ranked #52 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, California, United States
“Not what i expected, not happy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

checked in around 1030pm, there was no lobby because of construction. front desk was inside a trailer perched in the parking lot with a small make shift sign that reads "front desk". blankets were very thin, construction started at 730am. if i would have known i was paying for a 7AM alarm clock i would have just driven home. not the most ideal place to stay. probably better off at motel 8. or some whole in the wall. checking out was terrible, the employees were qauick to get rid of me, i tried to explain i was unhappy with my stay and they simply told me theres nothing they can do. and just handed me a business card with an email address, and said MAYBE we cn work something out for you in the future if you decide to come back.

Room Tip: wither dont stay here during renovations, or make sure youre getting a room near the back of the pro...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for UCSB parent orientation. I chose this only for location purposes. I wanted a hotel less than a ten minute drive to campus. I knew they were under re-model, I thought it would be okay, I am one NOT to complain, whine, etc.. I just wanted a clean decent place to stay. The check in procedure should have been a red flag. It was hot the two days we stayed, unusual for SB. The check in " trailer" yes, trailer had no air conditioning, stifling hot is an understatement. Front desk woman never looked up from her computer, took my name, credit card, pointed to the direction of our room and that was it, no thank you, have a nice stay, just, " drive around" you'll see it! Pull up to room with a concrete mixer 5 feet from our door. This kept mixing until 9:45 pm.. Workers walking, talking around lot till 10:30. You could tell rooms were just finished because it smelled of fresh paint, the decor was brand new too, by the way, they gave us two thin towels.. That's it. Same thing the second night except there was no parking, construction workers took most spots. So we drove to dinner and came back and found one spot open.. Complete opposite side of our room. Workers again all over the place working loudly till 9:00 pm. I guess it was better than 10:30...I went to call front desk for more towels and found the phone was dead. Used my own cellphone and asked for more towels. Within 5 minutes a car pulled up and a nice enough guy handed me ONE towel. Went to use it and it was covered in makeup. It was a USED towel. The next morning I went to check out and again nobody at front trailer looked up.. I asked do I need to sign anything before I leave?? One man mumbled, "no". That's it. No thank you or anything! That was my 2 day, 250.00 a night hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I chose this hotel during Fiesta week in Santa Barbara because I needed a room on short notice and the town was booked. It was a lucky find. The hotel is currently under construction, and the rooms feel a bit incomplete e.g. no microwave or refrigerator. The decor is modern beach cabin with distressed wood and slate grey with turquoise accents. Strangely, it works fairly well. The room I received looked out onto the pool area, which when open will likely be a bit loud if you keep odd hours, otherwise a nice spot. The hotel was 2 floors, but I didn't notice any noise from upstairs.
In my stay I found the hotel staff to be very courteous and cheerful, even though at this time reception is in a trailer, on the northwesterly side of the building. They expect renovations to be complete by Labor Day Weekend, Sept 1, 2014, but if the clutter bothers you, I'd check and make sure. At this time, there were a few rooms still being worked on, those in the northerly corner, and the pool and reception areas are torn up leaving no place for visitors to relax outside of their rooms. Please not that at the time I left, 8 am, the workers were just arriving.
So all in all, I thought the price a bit steep for an hotel under construction, but during Fiesta week, was willing to pay. I would stay here again when it opens fully so long as prices don't go up much, and if I had business in Goleta. Otherwise there are nicer choices in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
La Quinta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

They are undergoing a facelift right now. Which is great! And people need to understand that it has to happen and you can't just close down a business just because of remod. It's just not that easy. So NO time is a great time for it happen, but it needed to be done (obviously).

***One thing I will mention that really bothered me:
I wound up staying in the last room downstairs, literally right next door to construction and the things that irritated me the most is that I couldn't park anywhere near my room because the construction workers' trucks were all parked there. They need to figure that out ASAP. It's frustrating to have to unload and truck your bags to your room from a distance after a long day of driving. Also, the workers are there early. Fine, but be quiet when walking down the sidewalks in front of the rooms. PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING.

Anyways, the interior remodel of the room was really great. Clean, simple, beachy-modern spin. The bed was very comfortable, all of my linen and towels were bright white and clean. Wished we'd had a hairdryer but, didn't fuss about it. Also, loved all the pastel green & blue hotel doors! Subtle but lovely.

We would/will stay here again.

I forgot to mention another con, unfortunately. You may be woken up by a train passing through. No way around that one, sadly...

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the East side of the building, as there is little to no construction going on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Longmont, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Ugh! MAJOR renovations underway that they failed to mention when accepting my reservation. Paper-thin walls made it almost like having the people in the next room in bed with me. This place didn't have a freaking ice machine. The worst dump I ever stayed in up to now at least had a freaking ice machine! . . . Low priced for the Santa Barbara area, but a terrible value nonetheless.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Walnut Creek, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My partner was on a business trip and we spent four nights there. You would think for the price we paid we would have a coffee maker(amenities list it) and hand towels!!! Yup, you have to go for coffee down the street to Starbucks or across the street, and for hand towels all we got was a 12" by 12" scrap! Very noisy, internet service was really bad.Keep the fan on at night to drown the noise. If you have booked a room there, please take your own shampoo, lotion and soap. We were given some the first day and in spite of running out, it was not replaced. I tripped multiple times as there were no warnings to tell you the cement floor near the stairs had been made lowered to accommodate the stone pavers they were putting (about 4 inches...enough to loose tour balance and trip). Finally the day we left they put some wooden ramps. Parking at night was hard to find as a lot of spaces are taken up by Budget Rental trucks and construction. Front desk not very helpful. Rooms very spartan. There is only one chair and a beanbag in the rooms. Beds were comfortable. Linens clean.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As part of a large party we got a "discount" of $189 (including taxes and fees) for a room with a queen and single bed. They didn't have such a room when we got there so for the same price they gave us an additional room with a single, however, other members of our party paid the $189 for one room. The hotel is under renovation and trucks, garbage bins, etc. are everywhere. The office staff (very friendly and helpful) are in a trailer. Pros: Nice large, heated pool, bed is comfortable, small fridge, iron, lots of electrical outlets, clean and comfortable, wifi worked. Cons: No microwave, no coffee either in room or lobby which was nonexistent, no bath mat. Even though the rooms are refurbished, the rug had large ugly spots giving the impression that it was dirty though it wasn't, table also appeared dirty and old though it wasn't, Bathroom and sink was behind a strange sliding glass door that, although not transparent did let light and noise through.
No bath mat. Some members of our party complained that they didn't have towels. Overpriced since regular price is around $300 a night.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Goleta? Share your experiences!