“Worst hospitality I have ever experienced” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Goleta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5650 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, CA 93117   |
Ranked #52 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
San Diego, California
“Worst hospitality I have ever experienced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was booked at Hotel Goleta via price line, I called hotel to request a double bed for me and my sister, they said yes. We arrived at hotel, they did not honor room request, no ice machine, no coffee on premises or room, no blanket on bed, no clock in room, no decor, all amenities are not available, here is the most ridiculous....only one set of towels in room for 2 people, request more received one additional bath towel, next day housekeeping took away additional towel and left no replacements!! So for 2 days and 2 people we are allotted 2bath towels,1 hand towel, 1washcloth! Lol after all this the attitude of the desk staff is really the reason why I am taking the time to right this review, I am not unreasonable, the property is in the middle of construction,good hospitality can compensate for a lot, unfortunately Hotel Goleta has zero Hospitality! I would never recommend this place! Please don't spend your previous vacation time at a place that does not value their guests. I would have been happier at a Motel 6, and I am a very seasoned world traveller!

Room Tip: Would never come here again, horrible desk service, completely indifferent attitude, terrible housek...

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Solana Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here for one night w/ my wife and toddler. Booked it on Priceline and felt like we got the short end of the stick.

The Good - nice clean modern decor, pool area had a cool Palm Springs vibe going. Price was ok I guess for the area ($150). Close to freeway for easy access, Trader Joe's, movies, coffee and local Mexican food (Rudy's).

The Bad - Lots of construction still going on so don't let the website fool you since there is no mention of it. Arrived at 2:30p, was told that we couldn't check in until 3 which is standard policy but we saw lots of open rooms and usually a hotel will let us check in early. Got back at 3 for check in, got lucky room 101, right on the front corner next to where all the major construction was going on and the staircase. No towels for the bathroom, had to call it in twice. Finally a guy stops by after 20 minutes or so w/ 2 towels but no hand towels, bathroom floor mat or face towels. Asked the front desk for additional towels and received 2 more but one was still kind of damp, not good. The room has no mirrors and the bathroom has no blowdryer or iron so I guess they take the minimalist thing pretty far. The fancy chair w/ the rope isn't comfy unless you want to scrape your elbows. Bathroom has a sliding door w/ no lock and no other door inside to so if you got to do your business you better be comfortable sharing w/ your roommate(s). No sign for housekeeping or privacy so you have to call everything in.

The Ugly - The morning of checkout you can hear all the drilling going on since it's right next to our room. Nice view of the trailer/check in desk. Why don't they just hold off on booking these rooms and try to setup the guests away from the construction? Wait, we booked thru Priceline so that means you get the crappiest room location possible. Luckily we just stopped by for the night but wanted to share w/ others who might be considering this place. If you're going to stay in SB check out the Marina area, lots of hotels there, good location, next to State St, the pier, marina, beachside and the hotels we've stayed at there have their stuff together. You're going to pay a little bit more but it's so worth it.

Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I used to stay here when it was the holiday inn. Sure has taken a turn for the worse. I understand that construction makes a mess of things, but the service here is the worst I have ever experienced. I stay in hotels more than I am at home, so I have plenty of experience to draw from. Not even 1 towel in the room. The rude lady in the makeshift front desk trailer thingy told me that housekeeping was gone for the night, so no towels. Service and accommodations are so awful, that I joined trip advisor just to write this review! I guess I will just dry my fat body off on the drapes or something. yes, my butt and everything! Do not stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. My company booked us here to save a few pennies, and the hotel lied about its completion of reconstruction trying to brand itself from a mold filled, runned down holiday inn into a "boutique" hotel. Fresh coat of paint does not make the pig any prettier. I am staying directly in the middle of a construction zone. With construction workers whistling at our female employees (all had to MOVE to other hotels for safety reasons during our conference). My room is filled with dust from the construction. Housekeeping is rude and unorganized. No ability (not even a sign) to tell them when it's needed and when it's not. the internet barely works, goes in and out, and will disconnect at the most inconvenient of times. Loud people all around in the parking lot, and construction foot prints on all the old (supposedly new) carpets. Our company got a cheap rate with this hotel, but saving the few pennies completely ruined the experience of its employees. Hotel staff extremely unresponsive. Needless to say, avoid this barebones motel at all costs.

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On January 13, 2014, we booked a package deal for a trip to Santa Barbara Ca. At the time of our reservations paid in full to Cheap tickets which included air fare. The reservations were booked for July 9, 2014 through July 16th. My daughter has booked several room for some within this time frame. Now it appears that the hotel is and was under major reservation at the time of the January when the reservations were made, and we weren't notified of the conditions. Now it appears that the restaurant wont be open at this time and no pool whish was stated, and after talking to the staff in Goleta they say that that don't know the condition of the hotel when we arrive. Now no one will take any responsibility for not telling us of the conditions of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel until all renovations are completed. If you need a room and no others a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked this trip through Travelocity for 2 nights--the website noted there was construction/renovation (they get their info from the hotel). What an understatement!! Construction everywhere, front desk is in a trailer! The hotel is 2 floors that surround a pool. The inner rooms were done but the outer rooms were still under construction, so the parking lot and walkways had construction equipment everywhere. When we got into our room (2 double beds, first floor, facing pool, someone's ice cooler and belongings were still there (we heard construction workers were staying in rooms) and there was a microwave on the ground in front of our door. I had to make sure this was the room available--the front desk sent someone to take out the items. The room looked ok with new renovations and it was clean, but the table in the room was in the process of being wiped down. The rag was still on it. There were 3 of us staying in room (noted on reservation) and there was only 1 towel. We requested 3 more towels and they didn't come til the next morning. Our friends staying there told they would have to wait as they had 'run out' of clean towels. Uh...? The only saving grace to this hotel was that it is in a good location, near UCSB, State Street, Goleta beach...but for the price $280 a night (Fri/Sat) it wasn't worth it. I complained to Travelocity and they were able to help and provided a discount. When the hotel is done it may be nice but the hotel should be more honest about how much is still to be done. I was shocked to find out it is a Kimpton hotel. Shame on Kimpton for not being clear about what is still in progess and for allowing rooms to be open while so much construction is going on. Oh, and I forgot, there is a note that if damage is done to your car during construction it is not th hotel's fault. My friend got a screw in her tire and it had to be fixed before she left. Maybe it will be cute. Maybe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

In spite of making reservations in early February, we arrived to a hotel that was under construction. We were never informed or given advance notice of the condition of the hotel. The lobby was located in a trailer. At the time of check in our credit card was charged $50 per night for amenities. When asked what amenities they had to offer the staff began to recite ...the restaurant, the phone, then quickly added well we don't have a restaurant. So our credit card was pre charged $200 on top of the 4 day room fees. The room was not equipped with a coffee maker, nor were we offered coffee in the morning. We had to walk across the street and purchase coffee from a local restaurant. The blow dryer was not attached to the wall. The construction continued throughout the weekend and well into the night. The carpets were very dirty. Although we did not allow the condition of the hotel to damper our mini vacation it does not deserve a 3 star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Goleta? Share your experiences!