“mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

431 Corona Del Mar, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Paris, France
“mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

As I had some holidays which I wanted to spend alone in Santa Barbara, I decided to choose a B&B because they are normally more personal and often you can easily chat with other guests. When I arrived the inn-keepers were not there, but they had left the key for me to get in. I had chosen the Captain's Corner because I liked the name and it had a private little patio going out to the backyard. The room was quite big, decorated in an old-fashioned, but charming way. And it was quiet - I am really very, very sensible to noise, but it was really ok there. Maybe it was a bit dark, but that was no problem as I spent all the days outside.
The breakfast was wonderful. In the afternoon they serve local wine with some cheese and grapes, which is a nice idea, but as I did a lot of sight-seeing/ acitivites during the day, 5 o'clock was a bit too early for me. Maybe I was a unfortunate, but the other guests were nearly all couples sticking to themselves even at breakfast. Normally I don't have a problem travelling alone which I do quite often for work, but this was one of the rare places, I think even the first one, where I felt a lot of people looking bizarre at me because I was a woman travelling alone.
When I went out after breakfast the first day in the morning it was a real joy to discover the beach just a short walking distance away. I went running there everyday, which was wonderful. You can walk from the Old Yacht Club Inn easily along the beach to the center of Santa Barbara and Stearns Wharf.
Conclusion: The Old Yacht Club Inn is a nice guesthouse which I would mostly recommand for couples. It is quite expensive, but it's the same for all the other B&Bs and hotels in Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: I liked the Captains Corner where I stayed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We came to stay two nights over Memorial Day weekend.

We enjoyed our stay. We had a nice room and a small deck for ourselves. But instead of the deck, we sat on the charming and spacious front porch in the evening.

The area was quiet and the staff was wonderful.

The breakfast part of the B & B was exceptional.

We WILL be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review of your experience at the Old Yacht Club Inn
during your two night stay over the Memorial Day weekend.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your evenings sitting out on our front porch and found it to be charming and spacious.

Wonderful staff and quiet area is a plus an exceptional breakfast is such a compliment for us and sounds like it really added to the enjoyment of your stay.

Saying that you'll be back, is the best compliment you could give us.

Thank you so very much for taking the time sharing your experience.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had the opportunity to speak with the owner of the Old Yacht Club Inn (Eilene) during my reservation process. She is extremely friendly and knowledgeable, the rates are also excellent!! We are very happy with the place and have not even checked in yet.

Anthony & Darla

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your five star review of the Old Yacht Club Inn. I personally speak to all guests during their phone reservation process to be sure I can help them be situated in the best accommodation for their situation. I've lived in Santa Barbara for almost 40 years and love this city more than any place on earth. I love to help guests with whatever it is they would like to know-off the path little secrets, great places to eat, etc. Thank you so much for appreciating the extremely friendly and knowledgeable service that you experienced when you booked your stay with us and for acknowledging that our rates are also excellent! We are so delighted that you've be so very happy with our service.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the night before and the night of our wedding and was so happy we did. Our room was super cute and had plenty of room. The location was ideal, walking distance to the beach and the service was amazing. Everyone was so nice and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We appreciate your 4 star review of our property especially since you stayed here the night before and the night of your wedding and were so happy that you did! We're happy you did also and that you found your room super cute roomy, especially the night before your wedding. Walking distance to the beach is a plus. Thank you so much for pointing out that "the service was amazing and" that "Everyone was so nice and accommodating." That is exactly what we strive for. We hope you come back to visit us again very soon.
Simi Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had a small wedding in Santa Barbara last year and a friend thought this place would be great. We stayed one night! We had a room downstairs at the foot of the staris (an upgrade because it had a patio that looked at the driveway). The bathroom was clearly a converted closet, long and skinny. The sink was a triangle in the corner and smaller than a motor home. Two people could not even pass each other. The bed creaked and hit the wal every time you moved yet alone anything else. Ww had to put towels up so the headboard wouldn't hit the wall. The heater was a little pseudo pot belly stove and made so much noised when it went on so there was no sleep at all. (its was cold in January). Breakfast was not horrible but less than mediocre. Do not go. Santa Barbara Inn gave us a room with a view for less money. Stayed an extra night to make up for the debacle of this place.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your free room upgrade with your private enclosed deck. Most of our bathrooms are small like you point out. When the home was built in 1910 it only had shared bathrooms and we converted all of the walk in closets into private bathrooms so that all guests would have private baths. In years past and in many B&B's it's still common for guests to share bathrooms. We decided that private bathrooms for all guests would be a better fit even if they are on the small side. In addition to the central heater in the home we also added small electric fireplaces and large ones in some of the rooms. They are all individually controlled so you can turn them down very low or very high depending upon the strength you need. I've never had anyone mention them being noisy and I use them in my own home and love them because you can turn them on for a while and each person can heat up their own room for as little or as long as they like in addition to the central heating. We just checked on this one and turned it up as high as possible and it is still not making any noise so I'm not quite sure what the problem was with it for you back in January during your stay. For breakfast we always have alternatives if guests have food allergies or would like an alternate breakfast choice. We're really known for our wonderful breakfasts and most people rave about them and ask for our recipes because they are not your ordinary diner food bacon and egg dishes that you can find almost anywhere. You mentioned finding another property and liking it better. That property is not a Bed and Breakfast. It is a standard hotel with standard rooms and does not include the breakfast, wine social, free bike rentals, beach chairs, and extra amenities included in your stay at the Old Yacht Club Inn. However, not one size fit all in this industry and some guests prefer a shared balcony on a high traffic noisy crossroad over a private enclosed wicker furnished deck like the one you were free upgraded to. I'm surprised that the traffic noise did not bother you and a heater that you can turn off would. Also that you would prefer no breakfast as opposed to a full sit down breakfast being served to you, even if it was just our excellent fresh brewed coffee, home made granola and juice. This was clearly not a good fit either for you or for us however if you had let us know of your concerns during your stay we would have tried to make you more comfortable.
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We recently spent a full week at the OYCI. We had one of the best rooms I think, in the second building. While the staff was truly wonderful, the room, the bkes, and particularly the plumbing were not. Our room was on the ground floor, had a kitchenette, and deck. Everything was well worn. The first night we had guests in the room above us the plumbing backed up raw sewage into our shower, nasty! Jasmin and house keeping did a remarkable job, responding very quickly to the mess.

I'd recommend a major cleaning of the breakfast/living/check in room. It needs fresh paint and a good decorator. The food was good. Breakfast could have used a bit of meat once in awhile with more variety! One hour was hardly adequate access especially on weekends. Cognac in the room, wine reception at 5pm and cookies for after dinner were all fine and appreciated. Skylar was always available and eager to be of help.

I'd stay again but will look elsewhere if it's for a week or more.

Room Tip: Definitely stick to the lower floor. Traffic on the 101 and the late train would have been miserabl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
We value your input especially since you spent a full week visiting with us. Thank you for complimenting our "truly wonderful staff " and location and how our Innkeeper, Jazmin did a remarkable job, responding very quickly when a plumbing problem occurred. We will check the paint in the kitchen area that you pointed out. Thank you for that. " The food was good," you point out -we don't serve meat, never have as it leaves a rancid, diner type aroma which we want to avoid. Our meatless menu does rotate daily with some menu items being Santa Barbara Omelet, French Toast topped with fresh toasted walnuts & sliced bananas, Chile Cheese Souflfe, Herb Onion-Potato Omelet accompanied with varying breads, fresh fruit and various juices, imported tea selections and freshly ground coffee. We also put out early breakfasts upon request at any time for those who have special events to attend. Sherry is always on hand in your room as you point out in addition to wine reception at 5pm and home made cookies for after dinner that were all appreciated. Innkeeper,Skylar was always available and eager to be of help. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and let others know about the Old Yacht Club Inn.

I'd stay again but will look elsewhere if it's for a week or more.
Westlake Village, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

very nice and well located...breakfast was good and the B&B is a quaint old place that gives one a feeling of being around 100 years ago...in a good way! the bikes are fun and a great way to see the town and the boardwalk. this place is a great launching point for wine tasting in the Santa Ynez / Los Olivios area, as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Old-Yacht-Club-Inn, Owner at Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Old Yacht Club Inn.
You chose such a special time to spend with us. We love this location as you have pointed out and enjoy to share it with guests like you who appreciate the quaint feeling of "yesteryear". Yes, the bikes are a fun bonus since the coastal bike path is just a block away and breathtaking to ride right along the ocean. I hope you got to experience the Urban Walking Wine Tasting Trail too, walking distance from the Inn in addition to the wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley. So happy you enjoyed your second anniversary with us.
Warmly,
Eilene Bruce/Innkeeper

Been to Old Yacht Club Inn Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!