“my dad's favorite” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
lahaina, maui, hi.
“my dad's favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

we go here almost everytime we visit my father (95yrs old!) he is an old school foodie and finds the best places.
Madame Lu's has become sort of a 'must go' for the family get together's we have for his birthday,
we were just there at the end of oct. Even my Thai wife was clamoring for 'madame lu's!)
it doesn't disappoint. highlights : crispy orange beef(or chicken) , mu shu pork (or whatever you like) this time we had tea duck, servery crispy, smokey and with the plum sauce, egg foo young a bit different egg patties under veggies in a brown sauce.......crispy won ton!...other dishes we'ver ordered sweet/sour pork , seafoood cripsy noodles, hot and sour soap...........I"m getting hungry writing this. Atmosphere is mininal or typical for US chinese restaruants , not fancy but sufficient.........Madame usually does the serving her self since my dad has be such a regular there but she was our on errand, but the staff was attentive and we cleaned the plates! and I thought we ordered too much food there were 8 of us..........other family memebers are well traveled and they enjoy this place a lot

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Santa Ynez, California
“Really good soup but everything else, meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Been wanting to try this place for a while since they consistently win Best Chinese in the local paper. Honestly I was not that impressed. The wonton soup was excellent with a rich delicious broth but the rest of the meal was somewhat of a let down. The eggrolls and wontons were just too greasy and otherwise lacked flavor. I will stick to Empress Palace.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara, CA
“Santa Barbara Chinese Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

There is something about Chinese restaurants that drives them to mediocrity it seems. Probably they compromise with the standard American menu to reduce spice and ethnic flavors so much that most "locals" come out about as interesting as McDonald's chicken with dipping sauce. That has happened here. Madam Lu is a great presence and responds well to customer requests (more spice or some special cooking style) but what is served from the pro forma menu is predictably sweet and greasy. There were a lot of customers in the restaurant that seemed to be family--they pretty much knew what to order and did so. If you have a preference you will probably get something like what you want but absent such knowledge it seems to me that over the decades or so I have eaten here (on and off) the food has become a parody of itself. Unfortunately there is not a lot of choice in this town. In fact if one were blindfolded I suspect it would be impossible to differentiate three or four nearby restaurants' product one from another. This place is convenient to local motels and does a lot of take out. This is its best use.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
California
“OK, nothing fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Nothing bad, and nothing good. Food was OK, nothing I would want to come back and try. Spicy food wasn't. Service was polite and efficient. Since only one other table was in use, the place was quiet.

Visited April 2013
Santa Barbara, California
“the best chinses in southern cal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I like it the place is modern with chinses theme and reasonablely priced the food is great the service is good very clean up kepted the lunch specials are great and for the price yum yum. great for the pocket book.

• Visited April 2012