“Late night sushi!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #201 of 449 Restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
“Late night sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Great all around. Love the staff and clients. Good scene.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Tasty. Great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

One of those small places only the locals seem to know about (not anymore, eh?). I don't eat meat or fish. I hate it that people eat octopus (please don't!). But I have had some great meals at Edomasa. Best service ever.

Visited May 2011
Santa Barbara, CA/Dallas, TX
“Great Deals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Wonderful dinner deals, great food and excellent service!

Visited September 2011
“Sorry, no good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

After several unsuccessful experiences at Edomasa, I wanted to give them a last chance yesterday. I avoided to write a review before since it was going to be negative. But this time, I had it.
I have been going to Edomasa since their 1st day, I was even a special guest at the opening night, early 90ies. I have known chef Fujita-san since he arrived to Santa Barbara.
He still doesn't smile, and does not even recognize me, never says hello, that's another story. This attitude is considered very rude in Japan (I lived in Japan for 6 years).

Last night, we arrived around 7, sat at the counter. Another angry looking, non smiling, non Japanese man handed us the restaurant menu. Hard cover menu at the sushi bar? A sticky note on the cover explained that they had to raise the prices because of the fish market in Japan. So the fish is coming from Japan?
The angry looking man (not the owner, he was on the left side of the counter) took our orders and proceeded with cutting ultra thin, almost transparent slices of fish. After a few order, I had to tell him that I want to eat decent sushi, even if I have to pay more, please have them cut properly, I just don't want to eat sticky rice. He didn't react in any way.

The fish taste was below average, some even looked dry and pale, too much shari (rice), no neta at all (presentation). Basic sushi like Hamachi and Magura are tasteless. Salmon and Japanese Mackerel were pale and dry. The rolls I had were not good, I didn't try all of them. The "Edomasa" roll was not good, with some sweet sauce and strange color.

No greeting from anyone, no individual plates or board, the sushi or rolls were served in a service plate put in the middle of us, we were expected to eat from the same dish. When I asked about a service plate, they forgot to bring it, had to ask three times. Then a busboy wanted to take them away, when I said we were eating in them and I want to keep them, he insisted that he had to take them.

The only positive person was the Japanese woman who served us beer, and took our money.
After paying more than $50 per person, I left unsatisfied. Next time I will have to drive to Taiko, in Irvine, about 2.5 hours of drive and 1.5 hour to wait in line to eat decent sushi. Believe me it is worth the drive.
I do not recommend Edomasa even to beginners, go buy ready made sushi at the supermarket, it is cheaper and more tasty, and you don't have to deal with angry looking man.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara
“value conscious Japanese food without much style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

it is what it is, and we go there anyway. order enough sake and the whole thing will seem memorable