“Great for business or pleasure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canary, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Canary, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Canary, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 West Carrillo, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Formerly Canary Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Experience
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Great for business or pleasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel! I stayed here during a recent business trip. Would definitely come back for business or pleasure! The rooftop deck is amazing. The fireplace sitting area is cozy and invites you to take in the view. The food is delicious; morning and night. Very nicely decorated.

• Stayed May 2013
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Lizy70, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and can’t wait to have you back for a fun trip! Though we loved having you here for business too. Thank you for the props and get back this way soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here this past week for what was supposed to be a one night stay, but due to the amazing service, beautiful accommodations and just overall incredible experience, we just had to extend for an additional night! We didn't want to leave!

Beau and Eddie at the front desk were so helpful and kind when we booked our room and checked in. They gave us such a beautiful room and made sure we knew the layout of the whole property and everything that went along with it (the gym next door was awesome and the drinks at the bar downstairs were delicious!). Lauren and Sarah at the front desk were wonderful as well- they all helped us pick out the best places to eat dinner (Cielto- amazing ceviche!) and breakfast (State & Fig- don't miss the green eggs and ham!), and helped us when we had any questions about the surrounding areas, how to get there and what not to miss.

It was so much fun to stay at a place with such a wonderful staff, so happy to be there and so happy to make the best possible experience for the guest!
Thank you to everyone!

Ann and Kris Cueva

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann and Kris, this review is beyond words amazing! Thank you! I am so glad you had so much fun during your stay and what a compliment to us that you decided to extend for another night. Wow! We are all so grateful that you took the time to write about all of your wonderful experiences and I am especially grateful you remembered the names of those who helped you and said such kind things. I have the privilege of working with a phenomenal group of people and am so glad you feel the same. Hope you come visit again super soon!
Salem, Oregon, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, and the staff is friendly. The bed was EXTREMELY comfy and the room was decently sized. I never heard sound from any adjoining rooms or from the hallway even though the place was busy enough.

My room was generally clean and in good shape, but for the price I was paying, I was surprised to find stuff like a burned out light bulb, a shower cap over the smoke detector (probably put there by a previous guest trying to sneak a smoke - but the room smelled fine), and a couple of other minor things that showed a bit of a lack of attention to the details.

I mentioned this stuff when checking out, and they were quick to make up for it by not charging me for parking or WiFi. They also had a mistaken $75 bar charge on my bill they took off with no complaint.

I didn't try the bar or the food or the pool/deck on the roof.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sashazur,
Thanks for the kudos on location and our friendly staff! We do have an amazing team and property and perhaps the most comfortable beds just about anywhere. I do sincerely apologize for the attention to detail items you found and can’t thank you enough for mentioning them to the team at check out. All were corrected immediately and it sounds like the team was eager to apologize and make up for it as best they could. Thank you so much for your candor and faith and we look forward to having you return again soon!
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I just returned from a first visit to Santa Barbara--two nights at Canary. Overall, at $500/night, there was not a lot of value but it was certainly a very nice property. It felt more like a $300/night experience to me and my husband. Real estate is at a premium in Santa Barbara, so I suppose the room cost is justified. The location was great.

The rooms are very tastefully decorated, cozy and comfortable, but consistent with other reviews, a deluxe room (#218) is not for hanging out much. The iron leaked horribly, the TV remote didn't seem to work (thanks to the front desk who got new batteries!), and there was no safe, which is something we use a lot during hotel stays. I would have opted for any one of those things over a yoga mat.

The restaurant, the Finch & Fork, served a great breakfast (try the huevos) and we really enjoyed the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, vtskichick! So glad you enjoyed Finch & Fork’s bar and restaurant (I agree with you – the huevos are so delicious) and found our place cozy, but in reading your review, it’s clear we could have done a much better job on managing some of the basics during your stay. I am so sorry we dropped the ball – those you mentioned should be the easiest to manage and I’m pretty embarrassed we missed that opportunity. If you have time, I would love to talk though a few of the other concerns you may have experienced. Please call me at 805.879.9180 or e-mail me at caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com so we can review. Thank you!
Malibu, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Canary Hotel is situated in downtown Santa Barbara, just a block off of State Street. The Hotel has valet parking @ $25.00 per night, a nice restaurant off the lobby, pool & bar on the roof top and areas for meetings/wedding parties. The Kiimpton chain goes the extra mile to make your room & experience pleasant, including a Yoga Matt & Umbrella placed in the closet. The four poster bed has very nice linen and a great mattress. Hotel staff is helpful and friendly, plus this is a Dog friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Well, Thomas S, you really do know how to keep the romance alive! We loved your 5 star review and can’t thank you enough for going that extra mile for us in return. It’s better than flowers! Thank you for taking the time to write and take a drive up to visit us again soon!
Grover Beach , CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I commute to Santa Barbara every day and sometimes have the occasion to stay in town for night... last night was one of those nights. ( I have stayed at Inn of the Spanish Garden, Bacara, Fess Parker's, the Upham, some of the hotels on Upper State... etc... usually at Bacara if I have a choice.)

I have attempted to make reservations at the Canary before and I've never made a reservation because the staff is usually hesitant to answer questions about the property.. they always want to send me to the general reservation number ( Kimpton) and TA reviews usually say the rooms vary greatly within the room catagories and I want more information that they (Kimpton) are able to provide. Anyway, for this time, i definately wanted to be downtown and be able to leave my car in my parking garage at work and walk to the hotel and to dinner.

The valet was friendly and efficient, check in was easy and we were in our room in about three minutes.

I booked a king premiere room... and it was nice... clean, well maintained... just like the pictures! These are NOT rooms to spread out in or to hang out in the room... not a lot of real estate... besides sitting on or lying on the bed.The bed and the pillows were super duper extra comfortable. I think they may have the best hotel pillows ever!! I didn't want to leave in the morning.

The rooftop area is all others have said... we watched the sun set and then sat for awhile in front of the fireplace... had the whole place to ourselves... it was wonderful!

This is an older hotel and the bathroom has just one sink... no way for two people to get ready at the same time.. and the shower/tub combo, while pretty and super clean is NOT a "soaking tub" like the reservation person has assured me that it was. (This is a difference between Inn of the Spanish Garden and Bacara... both have soaking tubs in their rooms ... so if that's important to you, take note.) The rainfall shower was perfect and had plenty of water pressure, which I had read in reviews was a problem for others. The hotel seemed quiet... maybe water is only a problem when they have many rooms booked.

I was happy with our stay. The only hiccup was that our room service breakfast was late. In fact it only came because I called. And when I called the person said that " my order had been put in the wrong place." He then read me my order and asked if I still wanted it. If it was right there in front of him with a requested delivery time, i am curious as to why they didn't deliver it to me as requested!! That is fairly sloppy service for $300 per night.

I belive the value at Bacara ( larger rooms, larger bathrooms, soaking tubs, double sinks, table to place the room service tray, patios) is better... however the downtown location of the Canary is sometimes preferred. it would be wonderful if the Canary offered midweek specials to make the price more attractive...especially for us locals!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear beachtravel,
Thank you so much for giving us a shot and for the 5 star review! I also really appreciate the candor in your review in that you noted both opportunities for us to work on as well as highlighted the positives: ridiculously comfortable pillows, a clean, well-appointed room and our spectacular rooftop views! As a result of what you wrote, we are developing some further training with room service as well as introducing reservation specialists on property to help answer questions that would help decide the best room type for stay. Thank you so much for that! We would love to have you back more often, so please let me know when you may return and hopefully we can work on that frequent stay rate!
Pomona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Recently took a trip to Santa Barbara and decided to stay at the Canary Hotel so that I could walk to State Street and wouldn't have to walk far/take a cab with all of my purchases ;) I could not have asked for a better hotel!!! The front desk staff was amazing. You guys, they have a DOG that wears a bowtie and greets guests at the desk. If that doesn't seal the deal for you, I don't know what will. I was treated like a rockstar every time I walked through the lobby--the staff went above and beyond to make me feel welcomed and it definitely worked. They have a fabulous rooftop terrace. You have to see it to be able to fully grasp how pretty it is. Couldn't have asked for a more picturesque spot. My guest room was wonderful--really felt like a princess with the four poster bed! Loveddd the free wine every night (how could you NOT love free wine?!)--I was even able to take my wine to the rooftop terrace to drink it!

Best hotel I've stayed at in SB by far.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynne R, you should always feel like a princess – especially when you are writing such kindnesses as these! Wow! This review is amazing. Thank you so much! And you couldn’t have described our location more perfectly: super close to amazing shopping and all the restaurants up and down State Street. But most of all, thank you so much for highlighting the team! We all love creating a warm, welcoming feel here – especially Mr. Riley with the bowtie behind the front desk. Come back to see us soon!

Been to Canary, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!