“Can't Say Enough About This Place...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canary, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Canary, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Canary, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 West Carrillo, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Formerly Canary Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Brew-mance
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Can't Say Enough About This Place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed at hotels all over the world and this is truly one of the better ones for a multitude of reasons. The front desk guys are on point: sharp, helpful and funny. It was my 30th b-day and they upgraded me to a suite at no charge and without me asking. They also sent a bottle of wine and fruit plate after we got settled in. The hotel itself was beautiful. Very well done and welcoming...not at all over the top for a 4/5 star property. The rooftop needs to be seen to be believed. They have a free wine happy hour in the evening; grab a drink and head to the rooftop for sunset...you're welcome! HAHA. The beds are some of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. And the location, about 50 yards off Street is priceless for such a walkable city like SB.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Greg G, will you be our Valentine!? Awesome, awesome review – thank you so much! I’m so glad you had a great birthday and got to enjoy some lil gifts from us. Great recommendation on the sunset cocktail too! Thank you! Come back and see us soon, okay?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Researched Trip Advisor for a great but reasonable hotel in Santa Barbara. The Canary got great reviews and was priced right. Could the be real? The answer was YES! Great room, 4 poster bed, great big Hotel Bar and Riley and Maggie greet you at the front desk. Yes, Riley and Maggie, the boxer and his little friend were welcoming other dogs to this pet friendly hotel!
Lastly was the fantastic Roof top open air lounge,pool and hot tub area. Big cushioned chairs, couches and chaises offered a great spot for quiet reading and relaxing.
Will go back again.

Stayed February 2013
Riley, Maggie & the whole crew say a rousing thank you for your great review, GNA2511! Paws up! We are truly thrilled that you enjoyed yourself and that we lived up to the good stuff you read in the other reviews. Thanks again so much!! And the photos are great – especially Riley in his dress up bow tie. Too fun! Hope to see you back again soon!
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Canary Hotel a few nights while in Santa Barbara on business. I had stayed in other locations in Santa Barbara in the past but wanted a hotel directly downtown amongst all the shops and restaurants. Wow -- the Canary did not disappoint!! The room was beautifully appointed with a 4-poster bed, high quality bedding, beautiful tiling and a large, sumptuous bathroom. Everything about the place exuded old charm and elegance.

Beyond the room, the location couldn't be better: right in the heart of all the shops and restaurants, within walking distance of everything. The rooftop of the hotel is also a huge plus -- gorgeous, panoramic views of the city, a pool, hot tub and various seating arrangements both around the pool and in a separate area down some steps and to the other side. A lovely, quiet place to have drinks or simply take in the amazing views.

Staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and the on-site bar/restaurant lovely. All in all, whenever I'm in Santa Barbara and want in-town convenience, this is definitely my place. Highly, highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bisquin!! This is an amazing review - thank you so much! I love everything about what you wrote and couldn’t be happier that you have discovered us as you new place in SB. Please come back and visit us again soon! We’ll have a rooftop cocktail waiting for you!
La Paz, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Full Disclosure, I'm a Kimpton in touch member. This locatin right "downtown " Santa Barbara puts you walking distance to business , shopping and restaurants. The reception was first class. I received an upgraded room, a min bar credit and assistance in securing spa treatments for my wife. The rooms are nicely appointed, with upscale amenities. The bar and restaurant are more then adequate for a business meeting. Overall the best hotel experience given its proximity to my business needs in the Santa Barbara area

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Well played, LAPgolf! Thanks for the positive review and for naming us your best hotel experience in SB! We are so grateful for the kudos – and even happier to have you as an InTouch member. Come back and enjoy the perks again soon!
Newburyport, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were quite impressed with our several day stay in San Fran at a Kimpton hotel, the Palomar and expected a similar experience here. We booked here as my partner wished to watch the Super Bowl at an Irish bar downtown, enjoy some beer and not have to drive. Normally we have stayed near the harbor.

The decor is for the most part wonderfully done/stunning in some areas...a definite "wow" particularly in the common areas. BUT whoever thought that a hotel bathroom (particularly one within 3' of the bed) should have thin, louvered, french style "closet" doors with a gap in the middle when "shut" and with light shining through the louvers shouldn't be in the design biz. Very "privacy lacking" both in terms of noise, light and other aspects....not good! Definitely our major criticism.

Number two complaint; why no top sheet??? I like to sleep "cool"; even the lightweight comforter was too much sometimes. Why take away a customer's choice with "all or nothing"? Bed was very comfortable however. I wonder if they just forgot the sheet???

We booked the standard King room; I'm not one to demand huge rooms but a king bed has no place in this room....very cramped feeling esp with a huge four poster bed (which I love but...) There are only probably 2+ feet from TV/chest to footboard and not much more from bed to walls/bath entry. We walked in and went "Wow...small, small."

Be aware beds are high. We're on the tall side and have a high 4 poster at home but shorter people might very well have a problem with this. The stool provided is a trip hazard ...I found that out in the first 2 mins in the room.

Air/heat is somewhat loud...and ran most of the night. Garbage truck arrives pretty early in the morning; about 6:30 or so. Nothing the hotel can do about that but later sleepers should be aware and perhaps book rooms on another side.

Room was lacking a comfortable easy chair but it appears there might have been one at some point; a side table and a floor lamp in the corner of the room with a natural spot for a chair...but not there. Asked the front desk person but he had no idea; apparently they're re-decorating? I think with rates this high a comfy chair might be a minimal expectation. There is an armless desk chair at the desk/nightstand combo but it's right in front of the bathroom doors when pulled out...:(

Staff seemed very friendly, service-oriented but perhaps a bit inexperienced with knowledge level.

Rooftop patio is stunning...we ventured up there with our coffee before checking out in the morning. Very pretty hotel, terrific location DT.

I realize we're paying the "rent" for very expensive SB real estate but I cannot imagine paying in season prices for this room....we paid off season ($250ish) and even that was a bit rich I think for this particular room. (Location, location, location obviously....)

I wanted to love this hotel but they have some issues to address with the rooms. Hope they can pull it off.

I hesitate to put "poor" with the room rating but those bathroom doors and the size of this particular room were a major turnoff...esp for the room rate. If trendy decor is your thing and the bathroom doors don't bother you, you might love it!

We stayed in room 224.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JaneTSBoston – first off, thank you for the Kimpton love! The Palomar SF is truly fabulous and I’m delighted to hear how impressed you were with them! That said I’m so sorry you didn’t have a similar experience here. It sounds like we got close with our friendliness and location, but definitely failed to impress from a rooming standpoint. I would love to talk through it a bit further if you are available. If so, please call me at the hotel or e-mail me directly at caroline.dyal@canarysantabarbara.com so we can chat. There are some great things on the horizon here and I would love to have you come back to see them – and to maybe have a “do over”! Thank you very much for the valuable feedback. I hope we can talk soon!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

For the first time you walk into the hotel it feels like home. The reception staff and the dogs that run around on the front desk are just great and give a great welcome! The rooms are lovely and the beds are the most comfortable that we have ever had at a hotel, just amazing!!!!! We ate at the hotel restaurant both nights and the food and service was fantastic. In summary an amazing hotel and we can't wait to return, thanks to everyone at the Canary!

Room Tip: From listening to other guests the beds are sooooo good it's hard to get up!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
This is by far one of my favorite opening lines to a review! Thank you so much, Smasher1!! I’m so glad you had such an amazing time while you were here. Let’s do it again soon!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay here. I usually stay at the Inn of the Spanish Garden, but since we had a group meeting, I stayed here to be with my colleagues. There are almost always people at the main entrance to open the door for you. The front desk staff was friendly, and the check-in process was fast. I asked for a high floor and received a room on the 5th floor, which is the highest room floor. My room was fairly small with a pretty tiny bathroom. My one complaint is that the lights in the bathroom are not bright enough, especially for when a woman puts on makeup. However, it was clean and cozy. The bed was spectacular! I had a king size pillow top mattress with a 4 poster canopy bed. I slept like a baby, which is very unusual for me when I am traveling. There are nice little extras in the room like a pair of binoculars if you want to go bird watching, a big candle with matchsticks which I lit before going to bed to add some ambiance for relaxation. The top floor is a must see. There is a small pol and hot tub, a fireplace with heated gas stands all around. The view from the roof overlooking Santa Barbara is wonderful, especially for sunrises and sunsets. The location is one block from State Street, and it is about one mile to the wharf. You really can't go wrong staying here. They also have a full bar and food, as well as complimentary coffee in the lobby. I believe I will stay here again next month.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
KittyAtlanta – you are the cat’s meow! Thank you for the wonderful write up! It’s wonderful to read that were well taken care of. And you are exactly right, our beds are ridiculously comfortable and I’m thrilled you actually got some great rest while travelling. Sorry for the ambient bathroom lighting. So you know for your next visit, we have lighted makeup mirrors available to borrow – just ask the front desk or include the request in your reservation. We are happy to make the assist! Thank you again so much and I can’t wait to welcome you back!