“Love this place - 2nd visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canary, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Canary, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Canary, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 West Carrillo, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Formerly Canary Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
New Year's Treat
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Love this place - 2nd visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I came here a year ago with girlfriends and had a great time. Second time was just as good.

We stayed in a Junior Suite - it was a beautiful room. Nice spacious bathroom, and comfy bed.
They had a wine reception in the evening (and had cider for my daughter) and had coffee in the lobby in the morning (hot cocoa for the kids). The service is impeccable but not pretentious. I really cannot find anything wrong with this place. It was pricey, but it was New Years Eve so it's expected.

Oh, and the view from the terrace is breathtaking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
The-shmi, you are the best! Thank you! It’s so great hearing that you had a blast both on a girlfriend trip & your recent family visit. You never know how the same place will be on different kinds of getaways and I’m so glad we beat your expectations! And I love what you said about our service style. We genuinely care about every single guest and when you mean it, it just shines through. Thank you so much again! Can’t wait for your 3rd visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

While Santa Barbara is known for its higher prices, The Canary was an extremely great value and we would highly reccomend it to all, especially if your traveling with your dogs.

The staff and service stood out. What stood out was that the entire staff truly eeemd to non only enjoy their work but were proud of thoer hotel.

The location is ideal to walk to resturants, shopping and nightlife. And there are several nice areas close by to excercise your dogs. As well as an off leash beach a short drive away. The staff readily & eagerly gave us tips and directions.

While rooms might be on the smaller side, they were well maintained, clean and very comfortable. The decor was very tasteful.

The late afternoon Wine tasting was a real treat. Nice touch that dogs were notd on aq welcome Bone Board.

All in all one of the better values for a hotel we have stayed in. We definitely will go back. Oh, and beleive it or NO ANNOYING extra charges for parking and internet. Maybe just the package we where on.

And the roof top terrace has one of the best views.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hey DexterDoodle! Great photo! It sounds like you had a wonderful visit to the Canary and we couldn’t be happier. It’s true; we love what we do here and have more fun than we should coming up with personalized recommendations and reservations for our guests – even of the canine variety! Thank you so much for the kudos – we are happy you came and hope you visit us again soon!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Canary over new year (including the NYE party on the roof top). I was really pleased with our room which had a wonderfully comfortable four poster bed and was decorated in a tasteful but colourful way. The wine reception every day was great and we found the staff to be very helpful throughout. A couple of little niggles - we kept having to re-set the tv to get the digital channels and while we had booked bed and breakfast, it wasn't made clear to us that the included breakfast was just a coffee and a pastry. Not sure how we would even have got this.

A special mention for the party - it was really fun on the rooftop but 85usd cover charge per person with just one drink was a bit steep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma F,
Yay! So glad you enjoyed yourself here at Canary and took in some New Years Eve rooftop party fun! It sounds like the staff was helpful even through the little niggles (my new favorite word) – which I am sorry you experienced. It sounds like we have a little work to do with breakfast, so thank you for that feedback too. I hope we get to have you come visit our beautiful property again soon! Don’t be a stranger!
travelcat26
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had a hard time deciding on a Santa Barbara hotel because I wanted a good location. It turns out I couldn't have made a better choice. This was perfect. We were close to shopping and restaurants, and just had to hop on the electric shuttle to visit the wharf and zoo. Plus, I love the decor. It reminded me of my trip to Spain.

The rooftop terrace was wonderful. Our room was spotless and large with a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and professional. The night of our arrival we missed the complimentary wine so they gave us vouchers to get a free glass from the bar. If I return to Santa Barbara I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Travelcat26, thank you so much for your review! I’m so glad you had such a great time here at the Canary and in Santa Barbara! We are fortunate to be a sweet spot right in the middle of the action with a view like no other. Your words regarding the staff were so sweet – thank you! I hope we get to take care of you again in the near future!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just spent a few nights including NYE (including the rooftop NYE party) at the Canary. It has what you expect from Kimpton properties, but with a Santa Barbara flavor. The staff were incredibly welcoming and accommodating, the lobby was warm and inviting (especially with mulled cider and wine in the evenings), the beds were very comfortable (wish they sold them like Westins do), and very centrally located, in the heart of State Street shopping and dining. We booked a Junior Suite, since we were spending several nights on vacation and wanted some extra space. The decor was very Santa Barbara, with brightly colored tile and folksy furniture, but I could have done without the bathroom doors that were more like shutters with open slats that gave little (sound) privacy. Parking is $25 a night (valet only). Overall, a wonderful stay, but with a few minor issues (listed in Cons, below).
PROS: Kimpton hospitality, location for shopping and dining, room comfort
CONS: most junior suites apparently face the inner driveway with the valet parking, so if you're a light and early sleeper you may be kept awake with the sound of intermittent slamming car doors; our room kept having issues with the TVs only getting about 1/3 of the channels and needed to be repeatedly reset by maintenance; luxury hotel in Santa Barbara, so it's priced accordingly

Room Tip: light sleepers ask to avoid inner driveway view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ptbooth, was that you doing the electric slide on New Years’ Eve? If so, nice moves! Thank you so much for attending our party and ringing in the New Year with us! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, the team and the inviting touches we had for the holiday season. I’m sorry for the TV issues you experienced (which have since been resolved) but it sounds like you made up for it with some fun shopping and wine hour. Also, just so you know, we actually do sell the beds on our Kimpton website so hopefully you can take that experience home with you! Thank you again and hopefully we can do it again soon!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I visited the Canary hotel for a quick business trip to Santa Barbara and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The hotel was centrally located, had great amenities (tons of power outlets and free wifi if you're part of Kimpton's loyalty program), and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They went so far as to check the traffic for my drive back to LA before I left, as that drive can be tricky if you leave at the wrong time of the day. The proximity to State Street was amazing - gave me the change to sneak in some shopping in between my meetings. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy W, Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Wow TBentsen! Thank you for recognizing the small things that we do. It makes what we do so much fun when they get noticed! We love you just as much as you love us and are excited to have read what you think of us. See you next time!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while in town visiting my family for Christmas. This is my third stay here and it keeps getting better and better. The hotel was formerly the Andulusia and then Canary Hotel and now Canary, A Kimpton Hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and quickly checked in by the front dest staff. The hotel is pet friendly so my Maltese Basil stayed with us. Our room was spacious and decorated nicely. The bed was beautiful and the linens high end :) (very important!) The floors were dark hardwood and I was very happy with the layout. My favorite part of the day was my morning coffee in the sun by the rooftop pool. There is nothing in the way of views as the hotel is only 5 stories and smack dab in the center of downtown (one block from State Street) but the convenience of being downtown and not having to drive makes up for the view. There is no gym on premise but guests can use the Spectrum club next door and it is a nice gym.

I would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Caroline_Dyal, General Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear allison P,
Oh my goodness - you are amazing. Thank you so much! I can’t thank you enough for the incredible review! It is a rare and beautiful thing to hear that your hotel just keeps better, so I appreciate your loyalty, the acknowledgement and most of all the collective smiles you just gave me and the team. We love that you brought the adorable Basil and got to have a comfortable, relaxing stay while visiting with family. Please come bask in the rooftop sun anytime. We can’t wait to take care of you again!
All my best,
Caroline

Been to Canary, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!