“As good as the other Kimpton Hotels I've stayed at” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canary, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Canary, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Canary, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 West Carrillo, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Formerly Canary Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Experience
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“As good as the other Kimpton Hotels I've stayed at”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've stayed at a few other Kimptons for business. This time we traveled with our family during a vacation. It was a quick one-night stay on our way down the coast.

The staff are young, energetic, and helpful, from valet parking to check-out. We arrived after the complementary wine hour, so were given coupons for free drinks to use in the restaurant - a nice touch I haven't seen anywhere else.

The rooms were great, with two exceptions: one, there is no sheet, just a wraparound cover for the duvet, which requires keeping the room ice-cold so you don't sweat to death; and two, there is no "noise privacy" with the shutter-like bathroom doors. This isn't limited to this Kimpton, or a lot of other new upscale hotels, and I really don't get it - why would I want my traveling companions to hear me in the bathroom?! Other than that, comfy bed, great southern California decor, and enough room in our room with two queen beds for us and our son.

The restaurant was perfectly fine. I was surprised that there were so few people eating there, given that the hotel was full. Perhaps it was due to the proximity of so many other options outside the hotel.

One complaint about service: I booked two rooms four months in advance and expressly noted on the reservations for each that I was booking two rooms and wanted them close together. The only rooms available were on two separate floors. Not a big deal, since it was just one night and our other kids are college age, but a trifle annoying and would have been problematic if they were younger.

Overall, I'd certainly stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jeremy W, Manager at Canary, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Hi Megapax,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on the property! Being a brand new member to the Kimpton family, it is great to hear we are maintaining the standards you seek when staying at one of our hotels. All of your feedback is much appreciated and I apologize for the shortfalls but am glad to hear your stay overall went well, you should only expect it to get better the next time you stay with us.

See you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I leave relatively close, but my girlfriend lives in Ontario, Canada, so we often spend a day or two in Santa Barbara when she is in town. We've stayed at the Canary twice and absolutely love it. Its a bit on the pricey side, but might be the nicest hotel overall anywhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grretings from Santa Barbara N1120A!

We are blushing at the compliment of being called "maybe the nicest hotel overall anywhere"! That is fantastic to hear and we are so happy our staff could make your trips to Santa Barbara to meet up with your girlfriend as memorable as possible. We look forward to treating you to the same level of service as always the next time you come back!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

If you like Kimpton Hotels, you will like Canary in downtown Santa Barbara, California.The name is inspired by the island...not the bird! Great location. Creative design. Great service, the staff can't do enough for you and always with a smile. Comfortable rooms, a bed with Frette sheets, lovely amenities in the bathroom, really fun bathrobes. What could be better? There is parking on sight, a spa, and a roof pool and terrace with drop dead views.There are gym privileges near by. You can walk to just about anywhere. Every morning there is complimentary coffee in the reception area and every afternoon complimentary wine which you can enjoy either there or the roof terrace. A new chef was scheduled to start several weeks after we were guests. Unfortunately our timing was off to enjoy the new restaurant but having dined in many o Kimpton in house restaurants in other cities I am confident this will not disappoint once it's up and running. We look forward to a return visit to the hotel and to trying out the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi SanDiegoJCU,

We love hearing that your experience reminded you of other Kimpton Hotels and as the newest kid on the block with the company it means alot! We love being a part of Kimpton and the fact the company ranks as one of Fortune Magazine's 100 best companies to work for (#16 actually) and it is great to hear that it shows in the smiles on the staff.

We hope to see you again soon so that you can try what Chef James is showcasing!

Thanks again for feedback!
Gillette, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My sister, two daughters and I stayed one night for a girl's birthday celebration in Santa Barbara. It was our first visit to the area and I got the hotel recommendation from trip adivisor. We booked one room with 2 queen beds. It was a little tight, but generally very comfortable.
The gal at the front desk welcomed us warmly. We enjoyed our room....just lovely. We took our wine to the rooftop deck...just breathtaking. I recommend this hotel to everyone...it exceeded our expectations in every way.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Cowpokes!

Wow! That is great to hear that we could deliver an experience that exceeded your expectations. This is what we strive to do with every guest that stays with us and we are pleased to receive your review. The rooftop is an amazing location and certainly unparalleled in Santa Barbara as far as the setting. We hope to have you back soon for some great wine, amazing views and a weekend to remember!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

First trip to Santa Barbara. This is our second night and I'm definitely pleased with the hotel. One more night tomorrow. I hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Location is great, right next to State street, which is where you want to be. The hotel has a quaint feel and the rooms are nice. The beds are comfortable, but the pillows are too soft for me (my wife loves them though). If you like a firm pillow, bring your own.

They put coffee out in the morning and always have ice cold water set out in the lobby. I liked that.

A couple other picky negatives: the water pressure of the shower is really lacking. The shower head itself is a very awesome gadget, but no pressure, just a underwhelming trickle. The shower is an important part of my hotel experience so it is kind of a bummer for me.

The other thing is that there is no soda vending machine in the entire building. You are forced to drink their overpriced sodas in the room refridgerator (I forgot to buy drinks and bring them up to the room).

Oh, and the water didn't drain properly in the shower. When I mentioned it to the front desk at check out, they offered to pay our parking which I thought was a very nice gesture. That was a classy move to compensate for that. We will be back. Thank you Canary.

Overall, an enjoyable hotel. The staff does try hard to please their guests.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Darien2011,

I hope the rest of your stay went as well as the beginning! The next time you are here please let us know your pillow preference and we will be happy to replace them with foam pillows which are a little more firm. We always want to make sure our guests have the best possible experience and if you let us know about any shortcomings in service or product during your stay we will absolutely do anything we can do to ensure it gets fixed. Thanks for recognizing our "can do" attitude, we love hearing that!

Hope to see you next time!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Canary Hotel was surprisingly luxurious. It's got some California charm, great rooms, and a beautiful roof with a pool, hot tub, and sitting areas. We actually had our drinks and food from happy hour brought up to the roof for us. The location is perfect, as it's right near the best restaurants and shops in town. It's a little bit of a walk to the beach, but nothing crazy. There's a gym next door, and hotel guests get free entry. The bathroom in our room was huge, and the bedroom was separate from the living area. At the bar, try the salmon tartar sliders.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings 27sam27!

We are happy to hear that you experienced the unexpected in a good way! The hotel is lovely and our staff aims to please at all times, we love it when a plan comes together. :-)

On a side note, if you like the salmon tartar sliders you should try the ahi tuna salad the next time you are here! Chef James is just introducing this dish and it is fantastic.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst travelling down highway one. The rooms are beautiful. They have a Spanish feel and the four post bed is a nice touch. The rooftop pool is classy and the views are amazing whilst having a glass of wine from the bar. One useful tip is to park in the carpark next door to the hotel. We parked there by mistake and the receptionist tried to convince me to use their valet service for 22 dollars. She told me they would not validate the parking from next door. I was really tired from a long drive and didn't bother moving the car as I didn't mind paying that bit extra. I was surprised when we left that following afternoon that I was charged only 12 dollars by the car park for my overnight parking. It is a saving of around 20 dollars when you considers tips etc. The hotel staff were really nice so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt with this one!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Cappagh80,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay while visiting from across the pond! We hope you will think of us the next time you make your way to our part of the world. Safe travels!

Been to Canary, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!