Boyfriend and I stayed here and had a negative experince. Dorms were $23. and a $5. cash deposit for the key. To go out late at night they expected you to give them another $10. for a different "night key". Being right next to the train station like their website advertises mean you HEAR the stupid trains!! They are 100 feet away as is the station itself. First thing in morning to midnight you have train noise. When we first got there you could drink. That, and no curfews are why we choose independent backpackers and avoid H.I. The second night the manager made a big speech that alcohol was being banned because the town fathers were trying to close down the hostel for being too loud. A huge crowd of youn Irish were there at the time and they said the hell with that! They checked out next morning. We didn't like that either so we moved to private cottages owned by the hostel called Haley Cottages. The place is a dump! It is in aa seedy part of SB, not good at night walking from the bars on State St. back. So...at least we can have a couple of days privacy after the dorm and no drink right? Wrong. While sitting in the courtyard having a chat at ten in the evening we were asked by staff to go inside our cottage so we don't disturb the other guests!!!! It's part fo a hostel, for gods sake!! Ten!!?? So, after we take our drinks back in and sit down a huge rat runs across my feet!! I go outside to find staff and the girl from E. Europe says rats ate up the woodwork in their room and the owner said he couldn't control the local wildlife!!! They added that the guy broght them over on visas and said they would get 6 per hour and free housing. In fact, they have to work 20 hours each week just to barter the dorm housing..with NO money. SB Tourist Hostel and it's cottages are run by a greedy unethical man. They are NOT clean, contrary to the website. Plus at the dorm no alcohol. Forget it. just go throught to San Francisco or LA, whichever direction you're going. It's too bad because SB is a classy city with nice beaches and good looking people, but if you have money get a hotel. Mid week you can find them for $49. We paid $59. and got childish treatment and rats.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Barbara Tourist Hotel
- Santa Barbara Tourist Hotel Santa Barbara
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful new hostel located two blocks from the beach and one block to State Street, famous for it's nightlife, restaurants, Spanish architecture and shopping. We are directly opposite the train station and walking distance from the bus station, with plenty of bike parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Santa Barbara Tourist Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.