“Good From Far, Far From Good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Milo Santa Barbara

You added Hotel Milo Santa Barbara to your Saves list
Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   202 W. Cabrillo Blvd., Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Formerly Hotel Oceana)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
San Diego, California
“Good From Far, Far From Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel, however it was impossible, especially for the price we paid. Charming property at first glance, but once you start looking around you will see how run down the hotel is. NO AIRCONDITIONER. It was not that the air conditioner didn't work, there was not one at all. It was very hot and uncomfortable. Extremely small room and bathroom, both dirty. The worst part of the stay was the bathroom smell. It smelled like a sewer during our entire stay. I would recommend finding a different hotel if you are looking for a luxury stay in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Shelley S, General Manager at Hotel Milo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Alexis W,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a more enjoyable stay with us. I would describe our hotel as more of a lifestyle hotel over luxury and do understand if you were looking for a luxury resort how we may have fallen short in your expectations. While we may not have all of the amenities of a full service luxury resort, we work with our team to create a curated, individualized experience as a local in Santa Barbara and do apologize if there was any confusion in regards to our property being a luxury hotel.

This past week has been warmer than usual and I agree that AC would have been more comfortable. As for cleanliness I am surprised to hear this as this is not typical of the feedback we receive and is something I will be sharing with my team.

We are actively working with our new ownership to improve the hotel and look forward to offering you more amenities in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Shelley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Lovely hotel and a great location. But there is no air conditioning which is not a problem except that the room had only one window that faced the walkway. People walked by the entire time so you really can't keep the window/blinds open at night. I would say there was a 10 degree difference between the inside room temperature and the outside. The staff was very helpful providing fans but it didn't really help.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Nancy M,

Thank you for your review and it's great to hear that you were able to enjoy our location and that the staff took such great care of you.

You are correct that we do not have AC, which majority of the year is not a problem being that the weather is typically 70-80 degrees year round and our proximity to the water offers such a cool breeze, however, this past week has been warmer than usual and I do understand that AC would have been ideal. I do apologize that this impacted your stay and do hope you will be back to visit us again, perhaps this fall when the weather is guaranteed to be a bit cooler.

Thank you again for your review.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Dreadful VERY hot rooms with no air con!! Who has a beachside hotel with high summer temps over 90 without air conditioning? Add to that pokey basic dated rooms and lumpy bed plus paper thin walls and a low budget motel like feel (essentially this is an old motel don't be fooled by the internet pics)

Walkways run outside the rooms and someone could very easily pop their hand through your window as they walk past oh that's if they don't wake you up beforehand b/c it's sooooo noisy!

Please don't waste your money, this place is vastly overpriced, dated and needs knocking down

I'm so sorry we had the misfortune to stay here I hope you don't.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Slred,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience in Santa Barbara. Our typical weather here year round is between 70-80 degrees so our cooler ocean breeze is normally quite refreshing, however, I do understand that the warmer weather we recently had would have been nice with some AC.

As for our windows we do have security latches on our windows as well as screens similar to most hotels in our area. I am sorry to hear that you felt any less than secure and do hope that you would let our staff know in the future as we would have been more than happy to find you a different room if it would have helped you feel more safe.

We are actively working with our new ownership on some exciting changes for the property to provide our guests with a better experience and do hope you will think of us in the future as I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you a great rest of your summer.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We only spent the night but really loved the hotel. The pool is beautiful - and nice rooms overlooking either the ocean or the pool. One thing to note was that there was construction going on right next to the pool the day we were there- and considering the only reason we went was to have a relaxing day by the pool- we were a bit disappointed by the noise level and lack of peace and quiet. I mentioned it at checkout - but nothing was deducted from my bill. Besides that small inconvenience, we really enjoyed our stay. Everyone was super nice and helpful and they even have bikes you can take and ride around town. Definitely recommend this beautiful hotel!

Room Tip: if you stay in an ocean view room - beware of the noise from the street at night. Great view but it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MlssusClown,

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back! I am sorry to hear that your relaxing day by the pool was interrupted, and wanted to make sure you knew that we actually have 2 pools throughout the property which often provides different atmospheres. I can understand, however, your disappointment if you were looking for a quiet getaway and do hope you will come back to visit us again to find just that.

Best,
Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. We booked last minute. The room was $400 but it was close to the water so I thought it would be worth it. The staff is very friendly even offering to make us dinner reservations when I booked the room. When I did ask for them to get me a reservation, a half hearted phone call was made for me. I called Bouchon (eat here its great) right after and was able to get a reservation for a resturant that was "booked". The parking is expensive $18. Dont pay it if you are going to be out past 6. We came back to the hotel at 10 and had to find parking on the street. The room is ok and the worst part is the uncomfortable bed. Spend the extra 200 and stay at The Four Seasons down the street. This hotel is just not worth the money even if the staff is friendly.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear LuvChevelles,

I was disappointed to hear about your experience with us as we aim to offer each of our guests a unique experience not just at Hotel Milo, but in Santa Barbara as well. Bouchon is a lovely restaurant and I do apologize that our team was unable to get you a last minute reservation as I can understand your frustration. I would be more than happy to personally assist you with any reservations you may need in the future as I also love sending our guests to the best restaurants our city has to offer.

We also just upgraded many of our mattresses this past week and hope you will find our beds much more comfortable. This is just a start to the many upgrades we have in store for the property under the new ownership and hope you will visit us again in the future. Don't hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance as I would like to personally ensure you have a more enjoyable stay.

Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I really like this hotel, but it needs attention in some areas. The location couldn't be better, but I was not happy with what I felt were undisclosed hidden charges when I checked into the hotel. They have a $12.00 "service fee" which I was told pays for breakfast and internet. I didn't take advantage of either. The breakfast didn't look good to me, cold cereal, lunch meat, fruit, hard boiled eggs and a few other items. I chose to walk down the street and pay for breakfast instead.

In addition to the service fee, they charge you an $18.00 parking fee. When I checked in they didn't tell me that I had the option to pass on this "parking fee" if I parked somewhere off property. When I complained to the front desk attendant about this upon checkout, he let me know that if I didn't park on the hotel property, I wasn't obligated to pay this fee. He was kind enough to waive the fee for me. Because of this small gesture, I will stay here when I return to Santa Barbara again. Just be aware that your stay will cost you at least $12.00 more than you payed to book your room "service charges" and an additional $18.00 if you choose to park on the hotel property for a total of $30.00. I'm not sure what the other hotels charge.

When I went to use the shower, the handle fell off. I understand things happen, so not a big deal to me.

Pros: Great front desk staff.
Excellent location.

Cons: No bottled water in rooms
No Air conditioning
Extra charges: Parking, internet and breakfast.

I will stay here again because the location is excellent and the staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose and upstairs room overlooking the courtyard and ocean if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear DavidSantaCruz,

Thank you for your feedback. I also apologize for any confusions regarding any charges as this is definitely not something we have tried to hide. You are correct that we have a $12 service fee that we advertise on our booking site, confirmation email, as well as registration card at check-in. This fee is inclusive of breakfast, wireless internet as well as use of our beach cruiser bikes. Most hotels in our area do charge separately for all 3 of these options, so we feel it's actually a great deal for our guests.

I am also happy to hear that the front desk was so accommodating in helping you with parking. And, I thank you for letting us know about the shower so that our maintenance team could address and for your understanding in allowing us the opportunity to fix it. It's feedback such as yours that allows us the opportunity to improve our services as well as raise the bar and I thank you for that.

Please don't hesitate to let us know when you are ready to return so that we can make sure your stay is better than the last. Thank you again for your feedback.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Nice, quiet and clean room with a beautiful ocean and pier view. Excellent breakfast included. The staff was polite and helpful. Excellent restaurant a less than 2 minutes walking. ( Toma - Italian restaurant- reservation recommended) . State street is at walking distance.

Room Tip: Choose the first floor if your luggage is heavy. There is no elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joseli B,

Thanks so much for your lovely review! Sounds like you got to know Santa Barbara quite well during your visit in getting to know our staff, enjoying the beautiful ocean view and dining at Tomas! Please let us know when you are ready to return.

Shelley

Been to Hotel Milo Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!