“Do not waste your money.” 1 of 5 stars

AAE Santa Barbara Guest House
111 North Milpas Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Ranked #15 of 22 Santa Barbara B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Do not waste your money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

It says that cleanliness and safety are at the highest standard - absolutely not. It was so dirty!! The first room we booked, a private double, was made up of a single bed and a single bunk bed. All the beds sagged in the middle and we were required to make our own beds. In the process of making the bed we noticed that there were huge wet patches on the floor and a USED CONDOM. Upon telling this to the staff they upgraded us to their best room (the staff did deal very well with this and we're nice and apologetic). Immediatly we noticed crumbs in the bed and a cupcake wrapper on the floor. While it was definatelt an upgrade there was a DISGUSTING smell that came from the bathroom every now and then which made us dry wretch. In so far as safety goes the doors have tiny flimsy locks on them. They have a staff member at reception the whole time which helps but there's a back door that's open to the back car park which anybody an access during the day. It advertises that it is 'new'' but it's in an old house with old and cheap furniture. The bed we ended up sleeping in had painful springs across it. The couch was hard and uncomfortable. They DO have good Internet and good digital entertainment available. Pay the extra money to stay at a hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go here. Pay extra to go to hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Davis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Strict and unwavering cancellation policy. I paid to make a reservation on the same day, and other plans came up. I still had to pay a full night's stay. I expressed my misunderstanding of the policy but was met with relative coldness. It's also quite expensive for a hostel. I don't have much else to say about it. The weather in Santa Barbara is beautiful! It's a lovely place.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Berkeley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Never been so disappointed! For 155$/night for my Girlfriend an I we really were expecting a better place. Plastic mattress, sheets to small for the bed, curtains missing, broken sink... Allright, Santa Barbara is expensive, but this is a scam. I would never recommend this place unless they divide their price by 2.

Room Tip: Choose another hostel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Viscotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hostel was quite a surprise when I first arrived. I was a little thrown off that it looked like a house, but I went in anyways. It was adorable inside! The rooms were a little small, but still spacious enough for my luggage. The beds were a little squeaky but much more comfortable then some of the beds I have stayed in before at other hostels. I had booked a dorm, and I enjoyed meeting the people who stayed in the same room with me! The guesthouse has a lovely commens area with a TON of DVD and books to choose from. And I cannot forget about the patio! Perfect for relaxing in the sun, I was able to eat every meal outside! Such a lovely place! Ill be back!

Room Tip: Dorm are fun, but can be loud. If you want a quieter experience I would suggest a private room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Athlone, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Ok first of all this opinion is from someone who has stayed in there fair share of hostels so I'm not one to expect a lot butttttt this place took the biscuit.... We stayed here for 4 nights and I wanted to leave the first night but we had already paid... So here are the issues... 1.the places is not clean there was ants all over the bathroom floor disgusting there's only 2 bathrooms in the place and one sink didn't work so people were getting frustrated at waiting to use the bathroom ...2. The "breakfast is a joke make ure own pancakes ... Please! We woke up went down the a tiny kitchen to a bowl of pancake mix for the whole hostel I might add and instructions on how to make ure own pancakes what a joke...3. We payed a lot of money to stay here cos everywhere was booked out we booked at 4 bed dorm but it was joined onto anther room for 5 ppl so they had to walk In and out of our room to get to there so we might as well have been In a 10 bed dorm!!!.... Overall this place is a joke I know most ppl Travelling only want the basics but this is below that trust me... Lots more issues to tell lack of toilet paper in bathroom .. Owners never at reception always in tere rv at the back of the hostel. Overall terrible experience !

• Stayed July 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hostel is in a very small and old house. The rooms are tiny and the walls so thin that you can hear everybody arriving, leaving, talking, laughing.... Our room was next to the common room/tv room which practically meant that we could follow all the dialogs of the movie they were watching next door and that we had no privacy what so ever. The beds were crappy and squeaked everytime you turned. In our room it smelled like fried food...all night. On our floor there was a tiny toilet and a bathroom with a tub and a nonfunctioning sink. Breakfast was: make your own pancake. And last but not least: as a couple we paid 130 Dollars which was definitely too much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a great hostel/guesthouse. It's in a smaller house but has around 10 nice rooms. Each pretty new. It's very clean and you get great pancakes for breakfast. The staff is really easy going and will help you make your stay as comfy as possible. They know a lot of good tips for going out or having a nice dinner. And the atmosphere is great! You have a nice kitchen to meet people and a pretty decent living room with TV, lots of movie and book for your entertainment. Definitely to recommend!

Room Tip: Room number 4 or 5 has a little garden which is pretty decent or one of the rooms upstairs, since th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to AAE Santa Barbara Guest House? Share your experiences!