“Cool hotel, great value” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Cool hotel, great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is a great value! Its located near the beach, at the south end of State Street, and you can walk to everything. The furnishings are very cool, a sort of "comfortable modern" vibe, and the staff is extremely friendly. Our room was a Compact King with a nice patio with two armchairs and small tables. I loved the different types of succulents planted out on the patio.

We both had a good nights sleep. The bed was very comfortable and the duvet was nice and thick. No crummy, skimpy duvet here! I am a light sleeper and was concerned about noise from the nearby Amtrak train station. Although we were on the train side of the hotel we were not bothered - two trains went by in the afternoon and one train went by maybe at 8am-ish (it didn't really wake me up). From inside the room, you could hear the trains bell a little bit but it was kind of like hearing the foghorns in San Francisco.

The bathroom is a bit odd. You do have to swing a glass door out to create the space for the shower. Not a luxurious or sexy shower experience. But its an efficient use of space.

Other bits... The lighting in the room is good. Everything was sparkling clean. I liked having access to free, fast wi-fi. And the room was indeed compact, but comfortable for two tall people. The restaurant is fantastic as well!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and the restaurant also. Anchor Woodfire Kitchen is a great addition to the neighborhood. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Looking for an inexpensive hotel in Santa Barabara? The Hotel Indigo was my best option, and it was a very nice surprise.

The room was very, very small and would have been crowded with even two people, but was fine for just one. It was smaller than I've experienced in Japan or Europe, but similar. There was an outdoor private patio that did not get used and a cleverly designed bathroom that used every possible inch.

The only downside was the train that passed through in the very early morning with horn going full steam. I suppose I should have used the earplugs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us; we are so glad that you liked our hotel. Be sure to call us in advance next time, and we will reserve a room away from the train for you. Thank you again!
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I didn't read the review until I was there having problems and feeling totally uncomfortable. Rooms are small and the bathroom was a pain to use. To Take a Shower you have to close a glass door near where the toilet is. Using the toilet was another issue, toilet paper was under the sink on the left hand side, and not locked in. The T.P kept sliding out of its location. I hated that. I am right handed and 6'2 reaching was still aquard. I can't imagine a shorter person or someone with back or arm problems to reach. Just be warned that's all. Watching TV was another issues every time I changed the channel it would take several seconds about 4-10 seconds to change. At one point it didn't even change. Ahhhh... I couldn't wait to leave this place. Parking is extra too! When I was leaving another car came up and since it's a small parking lot. I had to wait until the guy unloaded his car for me to exit the parking lot. Noisy too! Thin wall you can hear people even in very morning hours. I can't believe people are not mentioning this. Our room faced the tracks and you can hear the traffic and train. Believe it or not this did not bother me as much as the room itself. Never again will I stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if u can. Is not worth it for the money you pay. I can't believe I payed go...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered during your stay. We pride ourselves in providing excellent accommodations and service, and in this instance we did not deliver. If you would like to talk further about your experience, please call me directly at the hotel. Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I had read the reviews and wasn't sure what to expect. The location was great - very close to the water and a short walk to the central commercial district. The staff was young and very helpful. We stayed one night, which was fine, but don't know if we would have wanted to stay longer. As the other reviews have mentioned, the room is very small (a factor if you are traveling with a lot of luggage), but everything is new and every inch is well utilized. The bathroom is modern and sleek and an interesting experience as the shower is not enclosed - and it's almost as if the shower and toilet are in one space. You wonder how you can shower without soaking the entire bathroom, but somehow it worked. As we were checking out, we ran into the went who told us that he developed the property a year and a half ago and that it is typical of a European boutique hotel. A few notes - there is no elevator and the stairs to the second floor and the landing smelled like dogs and yes, they do allow dogs, but hopefully since I mentioned this to him, they've taken care of it. Also, the hotel is next to the Amtrak station, but we were told that the last regularly scheduled train comes through at 11:30 PM and that on some nights, freight trains may pass by. The morning train was at 6:30. Along with the Aveda products in the bathroom, there were also 2 sets of ear plugs. Finally, there is only valet parking at a cost of $14/day.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you will stay longer when you come back. We would love to have you try one of our patio rooms on the ground floor.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The decor of this place took much thought and an artists point of view. All done in good taste. If you're not already into art this will do it!
Rooms are small but every inch is thoughtfully put to good use. Then you also have the tremendous trio working the front desk, William, Frank and Brandon - it's all about customer service.

• Stayed March 2013
William, Frank, and Brandon really appreciate your recognition of their excellent service. Thank you so much!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, and knew when we turned up it was going to be a very long one night stay as Hotel is right next to train line and also road works happening around hotel. We woke to road works at 7 in the morning and trains were heard until late at night. The rooms are way to small, we had a room with 2 double beds but they looked more like a king singles. The staff at reception was the only good think about this hotel. Never again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. Please accept my apology for your noisy stay. I am sorry that the construction was a problem. This city is expanding the sidewalks in front of the hotel. It will be nice when it is finished and will provide seating for the restaurant. I am so sorry that it woke you up.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here en route from LA to San Francisco and found it to be a great find in Santa Barbara. The hotel is located just two blocks from the beach and is easily accessible to the State Street shops and restaurants.
The hotel reception is clean, bright and modern. The check in was efficient and the rooms easy to find.
THe room was beautiful, we took a room downstairs with an outdoor terrace, which was possibly not worth the extra money as the weather was a little cold and damp when we were there. It was a nice outdoor space though.
The room was spacious enough and the bathroom was compact and functional. I liked the way that the toilet was screened from the shower, it was a good use of space in a small bathroom.
The only downside we found was that there was no drinks fridge in the room as we had a bottle of wine that we wanted to chill.
The room that we were in was on the train line side of the hotel and I would recommend that you request a room on the sea side of the hotel. Although only two trains passed in the night, they were quite noisy. I would not let this put you off staying here though.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the train track side of the building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel. When you come back, be sure to try the new restaurant, Anchor Woodfire Kitchen and Bar, for a "farm to table" experience.

Been to Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!