“Great Location & Service - Bathroom only issue” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Location & Service - Bathroom only issue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed in Santa Barbara one night in April. We took the Amtrak from San Diego. We wanted to be close to downtown and obviously close to the train station. I contacted the Indigo and Frank assisted us with our reservation. He was very helpful in finding us a room despite the busy spring break and lack of rooms at the hotel. Frank accommodated us, despite their policy of only allowing a minimum two nights (we stayed only one night); though it helped I mentioned I'm a Rewards member (Holiday Inn member).

The hotel is a small boutique facility, two stories and contained a nice restaurant (we did not have time to try it out...it was busy). The lobby was modern and contained a business center and meeting room. Brandon checked us in and asked us if we needed any directions or suggestions for dining. We had completed a bus transit (via Amtrak) from Solvang... so we were tired and wanted to rest in our room. The room is very small but it was comfortable, containing a queen size bed, desk, and small closet. A small outdoor patio was part of our unit (very cozy and private). The quarters are pretty tight, but we did not mind. The bed was a queen, was comfortable and had a down comforter and blanket. The bed is very close to one wall, that it is challenging to get in/out of bed on that side. The television was a flat-screen and the hotel had Direct TV. We slept very well and were not disturbed by any noise, including the nearby Amtrak station and trains.

The only negative is the hotel unit bathroom. The shower is not separated by a glass door or shower curtain to prevent water from draining into the bathroom, which made the restroom very wet during our stay. Let me explain... there is no separate shower stall/bathtub to prevent water from flooding the bathroom. The shower curtain provided, only prevents splashing; while a glass door basically separated the toilet from where you would shower. Meanwhile, a larger opaque glass door separated the room from the bathroom (essentially making the bathroom one large shower). In conclusion, although the drain removed all water, the floors remained wet. You will need most of the towels to dry up the floors. Unless you are a couple or married you probably won't like the lack of privacy in the bathroom either.

Carmen assisted us with our check out and was very considerate, as she offered to hold our bags while we spent all morning walking through downtown, having breakfast, and enjoying the beach boardwalk.

In conclusion, the Indigo is in excellent location, between the 101 and the pier on State Street. The hotel is walking distance to downtown and the Amtrak station. We would definitely stay again, if they can resolve the design of the bathroom in the room.

Room Tip: If you do not mind the difficult room bathroom or small bedroom you will enjoy your visit. Very nic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Chico, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

A stylish boutique hotel with a European feel. Fine location a block from the water and Stearns Wharf. The room was small but spotless and the staff was very friendly and courteous. Although we didn't dine there, the restaurant was packed on a Thursday night even with no convenient parking. But there were annoyances. The bed had only two tiny pillows and the "blackout shades" could not close all of the way because of the bed installation. The "night stand" shelves attached to the bed are tiny and no trash can in the bathroom. Once again it's a matter of priorities. If location is primo, this place might be worth a night or two for it's competitive price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear tsainta,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased our location suited you well. We regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Regards,

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is very convient located to the peer and the beach, calculate a 10 min walk to the city. Since it can be challenging to find an affordable hotel in St Barbara, this hotel offers a great alternative - the entire hotel serves as a art gallery and the staff was very friendly. However, I would only recommend it for a shorter stay due to the very small rooms and the occassional noise from the train station.

Room Tip: A room which does not face the train station
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel since I had been to the San Diego Indigo and thought it was great, but the room was a micro-sized. The decor was modern, fashionable, and had some unique 'small-living' features, but it was so cramped that I just wanted out of this hotel and could not wait to leave. The bed was very close to wall you could not walk around the bed comfortably. For two, this room just did not allow enough space. If I sat at desk (the only chair in room) then it blocked the passage to the closet/cabinets. It is very convenient to the train station, but also very loud from people and cars on street. No elevator to second floor, only a luggage dumb-waiter. Anyone could have walked in off the street to the room area. Maybe there were larger rooms, but none showed up when I booked on-line.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy the compact rooms at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Despite the fact that I had previously been to this hotel, my experience with this hotel now has vastly changed my opinion of this hotel. I have been to over 50 countries and 100s of top flight and not to top flight hotels and this was some of the worst hospitality treatment I have ever been subjected to.

First, although the location is good, the rooms are tiny. Tiny meaning you barely have enough room for you and a bag. The hotel is located next to a train station and therefore you will require earplugs to sleep. Worse still the City is tearing up the street in front of the hotel and the jack hammering starts at 7 am and is scheduled to continue through August. None of this is disclosed until you arrive to find out you have jackhammers going on the left of the hotel and trains blaring though on the right side. Forget sleeping.

Onto to the abominable customer service. The front desk failed to run my credit card on check in, despite representing they had. After staying there for two days I returned to the Hotel after a day out and the front desk staff literally locked me out of my room claiming, after two days, that my credit card didn't authorize? I explained it was run when I arrived, yadda yadda, and that if there is a problem Id have to call my bank, which was closed and would resolve it in the morning.

Despite the fact this was their error that denied me entry to room and belongings and embarrased me in front of other guests by treating me like a common criminal. Worse still when my wife faxed over a secondary form of payment with a specific authorization amount, they looted her debit card for items not authorized.

We will be taking our experience with Indigo's corporate offices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for bringing the issues that you experienced during your stay to our attention. Please accept my very sincere aplogies for your unsatisfactory visit to our hotel. We pride ourselves on excellent service and vibrant, comfortable guestrooms, and we failed to deliver those during your stay We will make sure that the issues that you experienced do not recoccur. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Celebrating our Anniversary, my wife and I chose Indigo because we love different. Hotel Indigo is different (from the standard American hotel) in that the rooms are small, the bathrooms are smaller, but everything is ergonomically efficient. The styling of the hotel lobby, hallways, and rooms is unique and interesting. We loved it!
The hotel location is within two blocks of the beach, Stearn's Warf, and at the South end of State Street downtown where the shopping and restaurants line the streets. The staff was awesome, the in-house restaurant, Anchor Wood-Fire Kitchen has excellent food and is in step with the hotel's cool atmosphere.
Helpful tip: If you are flying in, and NOT renting a car. Call the front desk at Indigo, they have a flat rate taxi fare that will save you some money over just catching a cab on your own.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
The staff thought this review was too groovy! Thank you!
Southampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ok ok boutique hotel..small ,think Europe,Paris etc. It is small and new and lovely and clean and to the point.After that, the staff makes this place really special!Whatever they can do for you they will do for sure.Ok I said small,just go with it. Yes it is next to the train station and it toots at five in the morning...whatever.I went with the flow no problems . A short walk to everything. I had a room with a small sitting area outside that was great! I think the best value in Santa Barbara. I visit three times a year and will be back to Indigo.The staff rules!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the great review of our staff. We hope to see you soon!

Been to Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!