“Nice hotel with charme” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel with charme”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is very convient located to the peer and the beach, calculate a 10 min walk to the city. Since it can be challenging to find an affordable hotel in St Barbara, this hotel offers a great alternative - the entire hotel serves as a art gallery and the staff was very friendly. However, I would only recommend it for a shorter stay due to the very small rooms and the occassional noise from the train station.

Room Tip: A room which does not face the train station
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel since I had been to the San Diego Indigo and thought it was great, but the room was a micro-sized. The decor was modern, fashionable, and had some unique 'small-living' features, but it was so cramped that I just wanted out of this hotel and could not wait to leave. The bed was very close to wall you could not walk around the bed comfortably. For two, this room just did not allow enough space. If I sat at desk (the only chair in room) then it blocked the passage to the closet/cabinets. It is very convenient to the train station, but also very loud from people and cars on street. No elevator to second floor, only a luggage dumb-waiter. Anyone could have walked in off the street to the room area. Maybe there were larger rooms, but none showed up when I booked on-line.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy the compact rooms at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Despite the fact that I had previously been to this hotel, my experience with this hotel now has vastly changed my opinion of this hotel. I have been to over 50 countries and 100s of top flight and not to top flight hotels and this was some of the worst hospitality treatment I have ever been subjected to.

First, although the location is good, the rooms are tiny. Tiny meaning you barely have enough room for you and a bag. The hotel is located next to a train station and therefore you will require earplugs to sleep. Worse still the City is tearing up the street in front of the hotel and the jack hammering starts at 7 am and is scheduled to continue through August. None of this is disclosed until you arrive to find out you have jackhammers going on the left of the hotel and trains blaring though on the right side. Forget sleeping.

Onto to the abominable customer service. The front desk failed to run my credit card on check in, despite representing they had. After staying there for two days I returned to the Hotel after a day out and the front desk staff literally locked me out of my room claiming, after two days, that my credit card didn't authorize? I explained it was run when I arrived, yadda yadda, and that if there is a problem Id have to call my bank, which was closed and would resolve it in the morning.

Despite the fact this was their error that denied me entry to room and belongings and embarrased me in front of other guests by treating me like a common criminal. Worse still when my wife faxed over a secondary form of payment with a specific authorization amount, they looted her debit card for items not authorized.

We will be taking our experience with Indigo's corporate offices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for bringing the issues that you experienced during your stay to our attention. Please accept my very sincere aplogies for your unsatisfactory visit to our hotel. We pride ourselves on excellent service and vibrant, comfortable guestrooms, and we failed to deliver those during your stay We will make sure that the issues that you experienced do not recoccur. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Celebrating our Anniversary, my wife and I chose Indigo because we love different. Hotel Indigo is different (from the standard American hotel) in that the rooms are small, the bathrooms are smaller, but everything is ergonomically efficient. The styling of the hotel lobby, hallways, and rooms is unique and interesting. We loved it!
The hotel location is within two blocks of the beach, Stearn's Warf, and at the South end of State Street downtown where the shopping and restaurants line the streets. The staff was awesome, the in-house restaurant, Anchor Wood-Fire Kitchen has excellent food and is in step with the hotel's cool atmosphere.
Helpful tip: If you are flying in, and NOT renting a car. Call the front desk at Indigo, they have a flat rate taxi fare that will save you some money over just catching a cab on your own.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
The staff thought this review was too groovy! Thank you!
Southampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ok ok boutique hotel..small ,think Europe,Paris etc. It is small and new and lovely and clean and to the point.After that, the staff makes this place really special!Whatever they can do for you they will do for sure.Ok I said small,just go with it. Yes it is next to the train station and it toots at five in the morning...whatever.I went with the flow no problems . A short walk to everything. I had a room with a small sitting area outside that was great! I think the best value in Santa Barbara. I visit three times a year and will be back to Indigo.The staff rules!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the great review of our staff. We hope to see you soon!
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I am writing this review and I haven't even checked out yet.

While travelling from San Francisco to LA my husband and I stopped en route in Santa Barbara. Having stayed in a Hotel Indigo before we decided to stay here for the following reasons:

- It looked great (funky boutique)
- There were fantastic reviews
- and it was reasonably priced.

We found the hotel no problem from the highway. A delightful trip down State Street - the main vein of Santa Barbara.

On check in we were greeted by Carmen who was a fountain of knowledge on where to go and where to avoid. She also told us about the local wineries which we wouldn't have considered but ended up going to following her recommendation.

The room was great (queen with garden patio). Great space, clean, comfortable bed, luxurious shower - what else do you need .

In terms of location ignore the comment that says that the hotel is in the wrong part of town - not sure where those people wanted to be but Hotel Indigo was perfect for us. 5 mins walk from Fishermens Wharf, short stroll to the Harbour, round the corner from the wineries, and at the foot of State Street - shops, bars, restaurants.

Having now enjoyed my stay so much I am looking to switch my hotel in NYC to the Hotel Indigo.

Enjoy

Room Tip: We enjoyed having the outdoor patio
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review, I'm glad you liked the hotel. Carmen was especially pleased to be recognized!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We checked in to this Hotel from a long 8 hr drive and were quite surprised with it! The Rooms are SMALL!!! As in European small. The Bed awesome and comfortable and the staff and service excellent! I have stayed in Hotels with bathrooms bigger than this room was! With that being said it was comfortable, clean and modern with all of the amenities. Within walking distance of everything we needed, and enjoyed it! If you dont like trains, and being in a little room , don't do it. We enjoyed it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Indigo Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!