“American/ French, eh I don't think so!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Santa Barbara, Carpinteria
“American/ French, eh I don't think so!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Positive things to say:
Nice place, friendly service. My husband had a burger which he like. the fries were good. end of positive input.

Negative things rumble on:
They have toxic orange juice (I mean not fresh or even trying). I order the salmon burger; it was tasteless. And, there was a tiny bug that was still alive by the fries. Didn't say anything because it wasn't on the food. By the time our server brought order, we were soooo hungry... yes very slow service... I figure because it was the day before Christmas, but by looking at other reviews it looks like that's how they operate. The restaurant wasn't even busy.

Would I get back there? unless I'm desperate. I don't even know why they call this American French... I mean not even close!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Santa Barbara, California
“Pleasantly surprised, yet they desperately need more parking!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have tried to eat at Le Café Stella before with a friend and we had to drive off because there was not a single parking spot in the lot nor on the street within walking distance, let alone 2, as we were in separate cars. Timing it right this time (11:30ish) I took my mom there for lunch. The interior ambiance is great! And it looks like they have a really nice outdoor area where you can have your dog during nice weather (it was raining). The menu was good and there were a lot of good choices. I got a sliced lamb sandwich with soup for $13, and my mom got a veggie "burger" with soup for $9. The service was good and my iced tea was refilled without having to ask. Decent lunch prices AND they're on the Axxess card and nearly always have a coupon in the Clipper Magazine. I would like to try them for breakfast or dinner sometime but the parking thing is problematic. We live about 10 miles away and having a plan to eat somewhere only to get there an not be able to park is unappealing. I don't know how they can fix this...it doesn't seem like there are many options for expanding the lot. I'd definitely recommend carpooling if you're going to try it for lunch!

Visited December 2012
“A gem in Santa Barbara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This uniquely-situated and comfortably-beautiful establishment is such a gem in Santa Barbara ! Not only are the food, cocktails, and service outstanding, but the environment envelopes you in a glow of warmth, coziness and yet roominess. There are several choices of atmosphere --- from the outside umbrella tables, the bar setting, a living-room-with-fireplace-and-couch-seating main dining room, the "large-booth section" and yet another french-doored area that can be used for private parties if desired --- each section having a unique and separate character yet binding you to the overall personality. This little treasure serves excellent breakfast, lunch, dinner, late-night goodies, amazing happy hour specials (some of the best in town), and also welcomes those who just want to sit, drink coffee/cocktails, visit with friends, go online, or just enjoy the atmosphere.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Little French Cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great lamb burgers and nice patio with view of mountains. Can buy the wine there that they have on the menu. Drink specials in the bar.

Visited August 2012
Palo Alto, California
“Better for Brunch than dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We ate twice at Le Stella, once for brunch, which was very good. Dinner was adequate...our server didn't know how to open a bottle of wine, served the entrees while we were still having salad, and was generally not attentive. The lights were on full, so there is no atmosphere. Food was tasty but nothing too special. I had Beef Bourguignon--delicious sauce, tough meat. Bottom line: A good place. Sort of a diner rather than a fine restaurant. Poor wine list.

• Visited November 2012