My husband and I stayed here last week just for one overnight stop in Santa Barbara and it was just perfect. I totally agree with all the other positive reviews of this inn. But because I find on TripAdvisor it is more helpful to provide reasons and specifics plus some clue as to what kind of travelers we are...(spoiler alert - don't read if you want to be nicely surprised at the inn)...
- feels like an old Spanish adobe style home that was converted into an inn, surprisingly it is a newer construction so kudos on keeping it in the style of the historical district
- lots of smaller rooms and a building layout that is not predictable nor is it anything like a vanilla-corporate-chain hotel
- beautiful courtyard with fountain, flowers and cafe tables - felt like we were in Sevilla, Spain
- hotel has extremely convenient covered parking with an elevator to the lobby, but as one of the less favorable reviewers stated, the parking is open to the street... And there ain't no valet or special key card entry gates... But this is Santa Barbara not Detroit! It's perfectly fine
- super easy to find off the highway
- a few blocks from State Street, very pleasant to stroll over
- we had a ground floor suite (#6) so there was no view except of the little private sitting area for ourselves, and we were really only there for the evening so we weren't concerned about this at all
- some people may not like the noise of other guests enjoying their wine in the courtyard, we found it in keeping with the vibe of the place
- property may very well have lovely views from some other rooms
- considering it is Santa Barbara and the free parking and the amazing breakfast the price was great for us when comparing to other similar options in town
- I feel like this is one of those places where they would greet repeat guests by name
- there were three different young men that we met at the front desk, all equally charming, helpful and down to earth
- this is not a stuffy nor formal place so the type of employee and service matches, but don't get me wrong, the guys were totally polite and professional
- we asked for a dinner recommendation and they suggested Cielitos after asking what we felt like and it was perfect, they even have little recipe card papers pre-printed with walking directions and your reservation time
- we also asked if we could get some of their yummy breakfast to go as we were leaving stupid-early the next morning (in order to make a tee time at Pebble Beach), and the staff in the morning set us up amazingly, he couldn't have been more gracious and accommodating
- as mentioned we had room #6 which was a suite (free upgrade from our regular room) so it had a sitting room with a gas fireplace, large tv and soft jazz playing for us as we entered
- perfectly clean and well appointed room
- next room was the bedroom with King bed, dresser and tv (note, no closet in this room)
- then in the back was a huge bathroom, I wouldn't say the space was efficiently used which was what made me think this was a converted old home, also the lighting feels a little odd, and old fashioned maybe even described as rustic, the closet and safe were in the bathroom, the handicap-friendly walk in shower was huge but a little strange looking to be honest, the soaker tub with the very nice bath products was just amazing though, quality Frette towels and lots of hot water were really all I cared about anyway
- bed was super super comfortable, warm duvet and a selection of pillows were just right
- furnishings are not antiques, more like classic-modern but nice wood, it is more simple then elaborate, ornate or elegant but extremely comfortable
- saving the best for last...
- great wine selection and even an outside fireplace to sit around to enjoy it
- continental breakfast on steroids - fresh pastries from a local bakery, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, local charcuterie, boiled eggs, freshly brewed coffee, tea, the best freshly squeezed oj,... Yum!
- since we had to take it to go, the staff helped us make our yogurt parfaits, juice and coffee in to-go cups with lids, packed up our pastries in little bags and put it all neatly in a carry-out bag to the car
- I was missing this special morning treatment at our next hotel at the next stop on our road trip!
If you want to stay in a place you'll remember fondly and wish you stayed longer, I would not hesitate to recommend this place!
#6 is great for wheelchair access, older travelers etc and is bigger with an extra lounge and firepl...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.