“Delightful boutique hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Newberg, Oregon
“Delightful boutique hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I took a short trip to Santa Barbara in January and wanted a comfortable spot to stay that wasn't too expensive. The Spanish Garden Inn exceeded our expectations! From the friendly staff to the little touches that made us feel pampered, we really enjoyed our stay. I didn't want to leave! Highlights: wine bar, breakfast quiche with fresh-squeezed juice, super-comfy bed, wonderful bath, and quiet atmosphere. The location was ideal for walkers like us, too. We could leave our car and walk to the mission, downtown or the waterfront. We highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We liked our upstairs king room overlooking the courtyard!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Mrs. Allen,

You certainly didn't have to leave....we would have been happy to have you stay with us indefinitely. Thank you for the generous review. I will share your plaudits with the staff.

Please come back and visit Santa Barbara again soon.

715 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here one night during a recent visit for our daughter's mission project on the Santa Barbara Mission. Great rooms. A few blocks from state street. Similar rooms to a Four Seasons but in a motel setting. Not a luxury resort but very clean and nice. Great free breakfast: continental items with fresh baked quiche. Would definitely stay again if rates were a little lower.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sonoma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I spent several days in Santa Barbara this month. The Spanish Garden Inn is a perfect location downtown within walking distance of the sites, restaurants, and shopping. It is located a couple of blocks off State Street and is very quiet. The staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast included quiche, fruit, cereal, sweet rolls, bagels, eggs, and a variety of specialty coffee drinks. The room was large with a fireplace. Although not on the beach, it is a long walk to the beach. It is easy to drive to a variety of beaches in the area. I would definitely return!

Room Tip: get an upstairs room
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Maybe we got a bad room but we were on pool level and our patio was blocked by a tall wooden fence (for privacy I guess). This caused the room to be really dark. Also, the space between the floor tiles was very dirty - grossed me out (particularly in the bathroom). Also not nearly as close to State Street as I had hoped. The place was fine but I certainly wouldn't rave about it. I expected more based on everyone's reviews (which is why I wanted to provide a review). Also the first sign you see at the hotel is one warning that if you stay there it might cause birth defects in your children...? really? Staff said it was something all hotels are required to hang because of cleaning products used and that we shouldn't worry. I hope this is true!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I am so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. An unclean room is unacceptable and I have shared your review with the team and am taking steps to make certain that this does not happen again.

Yes, it is odd, and rather off-putting, but every hotel in California has one of those signs posted. Countless other businesses do as well. You make a very good point, however. The law states that it has to be in a prominent location but it shouldn't be the first thing that you see when arriving for a vacation.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the property to better demonstrate the exceptional service that we are known for. Should you be willing to give us a second chance, please contact me personally to handle your reservation.

San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We were trying to find a nice hotel that was not directly on the main shopping area. I read a bunch of reviews and settled on the Spanish Garden Inn. We have always driven past Santa Barbara on the way up north but never stayed here, so we thought it was close enough to do a couple of day's for our 5th anniversary. We were too busy to go too far away.

This hotel was just what we needed. Cute, simple, and as an added bonus... the breakfast here each morning was some of the best food we actually had while we were in Santa Barbara. Which speaks volumes for the hotel, but guess that is not such a good thing for the places we chose to eat at.

We picked an upstairs room for some extra privacy and everything was great. There is a little noise transfer through the walls :) So just be aware that it's not 100% soundproof. :)

We also walked by two other hotels that we originally were going to try, and once we saw the location and the hotels, we were very happy with our choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Nice to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast.. The breakfast staff works very hard to make it the best possible experience, I will share your rave review with them.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My daughter is 15 months old and this hotel was great for families with kids that age.. We didn't ask to childproof it, but it was perfect anyway. The Bed and all tables were high enough so she couldn't pull things down. The little yard attached to the room was fenced so we had our privacy and the baby had no way to escape. I could actually lay down and not worry about her jumping out of the balcony or hurting herself by pulling the the kettle from the table down on herself
Hotel's vibe is great too. Super close to State street.
We walked all the way to the water, about 20-30min walk, prefetch for me, but I enjoy walking a lot

• Stayed December 2012
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This Inn was a perfect choice for my husband and I. We only had one night but I wish we could have stayed longer. We had room #20 which had a cute patio over looking the pool. It was a great room but might try a second floor room next time for some added privacy from other guests walking by and to avoid loud foot steps in the room above. The Inn was so adorable and quant! The service was superb, the breakfast was delicious with cinnamon rolls and quiche being our favorite. The food in the fridge and snacks were a very reasonable price compared to stays at chain hotels. Our room had a fireplace, which was a huge factor, plus a fabulous deep tub! There were no jets, just a soaking tub but it was wonderful! The soaps and amenities were very high class and liked by both my husband and myself. They gave us two free glasses of wine for our anniversary celebration, which was an unexpected nice touch! I can't think of one bad thing to say or suggest, it was just fabulous! There were robes, slippers, hair dryer, and other stuff which made traveling for one night easier with less to bring.

Room Tip: First floor room #20 had a great pool view from a small patio; however, you could hear footsteps on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely review and for the great photos. So glad that you chose us for your Anniversary celebration.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Spanish Garden Inn? Share your experiences!