“Delight” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Morgan Hill, California
“Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Loved this hotel. We had a spacious, clean, very comfortable room (room #6, which would be called a suite anywhere else, with living room/fireplace) with tasteful and attractive Santa Barbara-cozy-style decor. Reception staff was excellent, pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast was delicious.
Well located within a few blocks from the main downtown shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass along your comments to the Reception staff. The room you stayed in is in fact one of our Junior Suites and is our best selling category due to the extra large sitting area.

We hope to see you at the hotel again before too much time passes. Have a very Happy Holidays!

Brian Cogswell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Spanish Garden Inn is one of the nicest hotels I've visited! The room was huge, beautiful balcony, amazing bathroom, huge shower, nice TV, very very spacious. This was for my 40th birthday, expensive, but very much worth it for a special occasion. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Get the executive King!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. So happy to have been a part of your special occasion. And I stick by my assertion that there was an error on your birth certificate and you must have been turning 29...

Please come back and see us again soon.

Placentia, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Hotel was beautiful until hot water was out for 12 hours and no one seemed to care. Obviously a plumbing emergency but took a ridiculously long time to fix and was told by bell staff "30 more min" at least 6 times. Was offered a shower in another room, but wasn't paying 300+ a night to feel like I was camping. Only after being misinformed multiple times I asked for a mgr. ( being a restaurant manager myself I couldn't understand why they hadn't already made an attempt to speak with me) received a rushed apology and promise of a discount. On checkout no discount had been applied, desk clerk said he was only authorized to apply $20. At that point it was a joke. I realize this was beyond their control but was handled so poorly... We should have been offered a new room, or a different hotel, or at very least a sincere apology. I'll never be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Casaundra D,

I am very sorry to hear that we failed to provide you with a comfortable stay with us. I completely understand your frustrations. The plumbing emergency was a dramatic one and it took the full 12 hours largely due to the fact that the closest replacement equipment was in Los Angeles.

There might be some confusion regarding the discount you mentioned. Our records show that you did receive a significant discount. Please contact me directly at the hotel if you aren't seeing that reflected on your credit card statement.

Regardless, I would hate to lose you as a guest for the future. If you contact me next time you decide to travel to Santa Barbara I would love the opportunity to prove to you that we care greatly for all of our guests.

With apologies,

northen england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were rec here so good we changed our trip and went back for two nights ... Even tho it still rained! Very comfortable rooms unobtrusive service cheaper places to stay but we loved it and Santa Barbara

San francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Years ago I lived in SB but have started coming back over the last few years. Usually stay at the Canary (fantastic hotel), however this time moved to the Spanish Garden Inn. I've stayed other places here as well and can truly see this is probably one of my favorite hotels in the world. The staff are extremely accommodating and polite, the parking in the garage downstairs is extremely convenient (not like the other review, particularly since the homeless are not in this neighborhood and it's extremely safe). The hotel has a familial vibe to it, however it probably is not a great place if you do have kids (should probably stay closer to the beach, zoo, etc). It's quiet, romantic, serene, inviting...overall a great place to hide away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Made a last minute reservation here for a quick getaway to Santa Barbara. I had a free Hyatt night but this place looked really cool on line so we went for it. Very intimate and romantic. Staff was very accommodating. This was our anniversary so I ordered a dozen chocolate strawberries and a bottle of wine waiting in e room. Great touch. Quick 5 minute walk to State Street where the shops and restaurants are located. Highly recommend.

Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

When I was looking for a place to propose to my girlfriend (now wife) I decided that I would look to Santa Barbara. After reading the reviews for the Inn I made the call and booked my weekend retreat. I was greeted by Izumi and she quickly took down my reservation.

While making the reservation I had asked Izumi if she could suggest any nice restaurants in the area. Within 10 minutes I had received an email with 4 restaurant recommendations along with a link to each. I decided on the Wine Cask (GREAT restaurant) so I called the Inn back and they made the reservation for us and they even requested a table by the fireplace. I am a pretty simple guy and am not used to this type of service but I was grateful.

The lnn is located off the downtown strip so there is some walking but it took 10 minutes to get from A to B; at best. We walked just about everywhere that weekend. The Inn also has underground parking which was a huge plus for us because we planned on walking as much as possible and wanted the car protected from the elements. Street parking is limited around the Inn so it was nice to know that you do not have to worry about driving around looking for a place to park if you did decide to drive somewhere.

We stayed in Room 16 on the second floor which overlooked the courtyard. As the name suggests our room was decorated with a Spanish touch including the Spanish tiles that lined the entryway and continued into the bathroom; which had a soaker tub and a separate shower. The toilet was tucked away behind a pocket door since you entered the bathroom through a beautiful archway so there is a need for some privacy which the pocket door provided.

The entryway included a hall closet and a refrigerator with some snacks should you get hungry/thirsty while lounging in your room. The room has a French Press and an electric kettle for making your morning coffee or tea (creamer is in the fridge). The Inn provided a local paper at your doorstep to enjoy along with your coffee.

Our bedroom consisted of a king bed, dresser, desk/chair, (2) extra comfortable leather chairs and an ottoman to enjoy while sitting by the fireplace or watching some TV. (Games and DVD's are available down at the front desk if you are interested...we played UNO!) The room also has two French doors that open up onto a balcony that overlooks the courtyard but we did not use it much because of the weather.

The grounds are cozy and intimate, this is not a sprawling hotel, but I was sold on the intimate feel of the Inn. Once inside the Inn you would be hard-pressed to realize you are in the middle of a neighborhood!

The Inn provided a complimentary continental breakfast if you need something more than the in-room coffee. They offered juices and coffee, bagels, cereals, fruit and quiches. It was a great way to start the morning.

The Inn has a smaller pool tucked away in the back that would be nice to relax in and around; weather permitting.

We truly enjoyed our time at the Inn and it will always be a special part of our lives. While checking out Izumi leaned over to me and asked if my wife had said yes; to which I replied she had. This showed me that the Inn and their staff actually care about their guests. And to further that point, shortly after we returned home we received a handwritten Thank You card from the Inn.

If you are looking for an intimate place to stay, with a friendly and helpful staff you need not look any further than the Inn of the Spanish Garden.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Steven,

Wow, Congratulations on your engagement and marriage! One of the highlights of working at a "romantic" destination is the opportunity to play a small role in making special memories for many of our guests. Wonderful to hear about your experiences. Thank you so much for putting in the extra effort to share such a comprehensive review. I will be certain to share with Izumi your kind comments.

Please come back to visit us again soon, whether it be on the Anniversary of your proposal or of your wedding, we'd love to have you back.

Brian Cogswell

Been to Spanish Garden Inn? Share your experiences!