“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
northen england
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were rec here so good we changed our trip and went back for two nights ... Even tho it still rained! Very comfortable rooms unobtrusive service cheaper places to stay but we loved it and Santa Barbara

701 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
San francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Years ago I lived in SB but have started coming back over the last few years. Usually stay at the Canary (fantastic hotel), however this time moved to the Spanish Garden Inn. I've stayed other places here as well and can truly see this is probably one of my favorite hotels in the world. The staff are extremely accommodating and polite, the parking in the garage downstairs is extremely convenient (not like the other review, particularly since the homeless are not in this neighborhood and it's extremely safe). The hotel has a familial vibe to it, however it probably is not a great place if you do have kids (should probably stay closer to the beach, zoo, etc). It's quiet, romantic, serene, inviting...overall a great place to hide away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Made a last minute reservation here for a quick getaway to Santa Barbara. I had a free Hyatt night but this place looked really cool on line so we went for it. Very intimate and romantic. Staff was very accommodating. This was our anniversary so I ordered a dozen chocolate strawberries and a bottle of wine waiting in e room. Great touch. Quick 5 minute walk to State Street where the shops and restaurants are located. Highly recommend.

Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

When I was looking for a place to propose to my girlfriend (now wife) I decided that I would look to Santa Barbara. After reading the reviews for the Inn I made the call and booked my weekend retreat. I was greeted by Izumi and she quickly took down my reservation.

While making the reservation I had asked Izumi if she could suggest any nice restaurants in the area. Within 10 minutes I had received an email with 4 restaurant recommendations along with a link to each. I decided on the Wine Cask (GREAT restaurant) so I called the Inn back and they made the reservation for us and they even requested a table by the fireplace. I am a pretty simple guy and am not used to this type of service but I was grateful.

The lnn is located off the downtown strip so there is some walking but it took 10 minutes to get from A to B; at best. We walked just about everywhere that weekend. The Inn also has underground parking which was a huge plus for us because we planned on walking as much as possible and wanted the car protected from the elements. Street parking is limited around the Inn so it was nice to know that you do not have to worry about driving around looking for a place to park if you did decide to drive somewhere.

We stayed in Room 16 on the second floor which overlooked the courtyard. As the name suggests our room was decorated with a Spanish touch including the Spanish tiles that lined the entryway and continued into the bathroom; which had a soaker tub and a separate shower. The toilet was tucked away behind a pocket door since you entered the bathroom through a beautiful archway so there is a need for some privacy which the pocket door provided.

The entryway included a hall closet and a refrigerator with some snacks should you get hungry/thirsty while lounging in your room. The room has a French Press and an electric kettle for making your morning coffee or tea (creamer is in the fridge). The Inn provided a local paper at your doorstep to enjoy along with your coffee.

Our bedroom consisted of a king bed, dresser, desk/chair, (2) extra comfortable leather chairs and an ottoman to enjoy while sitting by the fireplace or watching some TV. (Games and DVD's are available down at the front desk if you are interested...we played UNO!) The room also has two French doors that open up onto a balcony that overlooks the courtyard but we did not use it much because of the weather.

The grounds are cozy and intimate, this is not a sprawling hotel, but I was sold on the intimate feel of the Inn. Once inside the Inn you would be hard-pressed to realize you are in the middle of a neighborhood!

The Inn provided a complimentary continental breakfast if you need something more than the in-room coffee. They offered juices and coffee, bagels, cereals, fruit and quiches. It was a great way to start the morning.

The Inn has a smaller pool tucked away in the back that would be nice to relax in and around; weather permitting.

We truly enjoyed our time at the Inn and it will always be a special part of our lives. While checking out Izumi leaned over to me and asked if my wife had said yes; to which I replied she had. This showed me that the Inn and their staff actually care about their guests. And to further that point, shortly after we returned home we received a handwritten Thank You card from the Inn.

If you are looking for an intimate place to stay, with a friendly and helpful staff you need not look any further than the Inn of the Spanish Garden.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Steven,

Wow, Congratulations on your engagement and marriage! One of the highlights of working at a "romantic" destination is the opportunity to play a small role in making special memories for many of our guests. Wonderful to hear about your experiences. Thank you so much for putting in the extra effort to share such a comprehensive review. I will be certain to share with Izumi your kind comments.

Please come back to visit us again soon, whether it be on the Anniversary of your proposal or of your wedding, we'd love to have you back.

Pemberton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Love the atmosphere - room was very comfortable - great amenities - lovely soaker tub!
Very helpful staff - breakfast & parking included...added to the value of our stay.
Would definitely book the hotel again.
From Pemberton, British Columbia.

Room Tip: 2nd floor #11 great room - view of the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are travelling through Southern California.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We took the train from San Diego and walked from the train station to the hotel (about one mile). Main street, wonderful restaurants, and attractions are within walking distance or a short and cheap bus ride. This is our second anniversary trip at the Inn and we loved it. Here's just a few perks that make this Inn extra special- reasonably priced for a great hotel, great customer service and staff, complimentary breakfast (even soy lattes), french press coffee in the room as well as tea, Bose speakers, DVD player in the room (free movie DVDs), Molton Brown toiletries, fireplace and oversized tub, and cookies at the front desk in the afternoon/evenings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Marie,

Thank you for making us a part of your regular anniversary trips to Santa Barbara. I've taken the train to San Diego and back myself. It is such a relaxing way to travel, I highly recommend it.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next anniversary trip, but hopefully even sooner.

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Liked this small inn quite close to the shopping area in a quiet neighbourhood. Best part is the courtyard, having breakfast there. Reminds me on a bed and brekafast inn in a southern european town. Rooms could have a little fresh up, although our room was clean with a fireplace and balcony overlooking the small pool. Nice touch is the free indoor parking (other hotels in California, charge 30 dollars). Spanish garden inn is a place for couples, not for family and is not a place to be seen. Nice option if your are looking for an alternative to the usual big players like four seasons, peninsula ......Be aware this place has limited facilities and is not a luxurious place, but is full of romantic. Would probably stay here agian.

Room Tip: top floor either with view to the pool or the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Spanish Garden Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Wow, reviews in 48 Cities? Color me green with envy. Thank you for choosing to stay with us as your world travels passed through Santa Barbara and thank you for writing such a nice review. Should you circle back and want to stay with us again, please ask for me personally when making your reservation as I would love to hear more about your trip.

Brian Cogswell

Been to Spanish Garden Inn? Share your experiences!