“Quiet, tucked way, next to beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles, California
“Quiet, tucked way, next to beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been fortunate enough to stay here by myself for business and also with my family. This is a beautiful, serene resort, I love that it's tucked away in it's own little corner of Santa Barbara, away from the crowds. Parking was easy, both weekday and weekend. The beach is literally a stones throw away. If you're up to it, you can jog to downtown Santa Barbara but I wouldn't recommend it if you have kids. For business, this place will spoil you. The company they use for a/v support cannot be topped and I will 100% trust them for any future events we may have. Food as expected is excellent, both for business catering (buffet) and also on the premises restaurant. For families with young kids, the vibe is good, some resorts you get the feeling children are unwelcome, both from staff and guests. I did not get that here which is great because we can schedule business trips yet feel comfortable inviting our family to stay over the weekend. The zoo is nearby, small enough to not promote temper tantrums, close enough to head back to the room for a nap. Children's toiletry kits and kid-sized bathrobes are provided. And of course, the beach to keep them occupied. There's a certain snootiness that becomes apparent with some of the guests (not the resorts fault) and the front desk/concierge have varied from extremely warm and inviting (asking how the stay has been, offering Ty animals to the kids) to downright cold (I am too busy so I am going to look past you while answering your questions, please go away.) Bottom line, I will be back (both for business and pleasure), the positives far outweigh the negatives and it'll be hard to find another resort in Santa Barbara that matches the service and location.

Room Tip: Great food on the premises but you really owe it to yourself to try all the restaurants in Santa Bar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
ST ALBERT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In all respects, the facilities, service level etc, etc, were the best I have ever had. Really no compaints. This is a beautiful facilty. Would stay here again no problem. While the prices at the restaurant and lounge were up there, that's commensurate with the quality of food and quality of service. The locale is also close to the most attractive parts of Santa Barbara.

Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Two-day stay at the Resort was wonderful. Service and amenities are excellent and extra treats were provided for our celebration. Only disappointment was the Bella Vista Restaurant - ambiance was great, but the food was rather bland. Breakfast buffets and lunch at the Casino Restaurant were very good.

Room Tip: Many deluxe rooms are offered with a deck. These decks are rather dark, so it may be better to ask...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently visited this hotel on business but stayed longer......for the fun of it. A beautiful property with the best in Four Seasons service. Service was exceptional whether it was at front desk, bell service, spa or restaurants. It is definitely on my list to re-visit soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Portola Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What can I say but the perfect Santa Barbara experience! Love the location right on Butterfly Beach, a short walk to the quaint town of Montecito, a nice bike ride to the pier for lunch. There are a couple of pool options. If you want to be on the beach with more of a crowd you have the beach club across the street or on site is a small quieter pool which I love. There is poolside food and drink service at both. We had a wonderful fireplace room looking over the front lawn to Butterfly Beach with a nice private patio. This is a special place to get away to! We enjoy the restaurants as well. There are alot of nearby places to eat and if you like a little shopping, it is just blocks away.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We arrived here for a 2 night getaway mid week. At check in, we were pleasantly surprised by Olivia that we had been upgraded to a cottage. I had to change our reservation weeks before and casually mentioned that it was my birthday. They had a chocolate cake with Happy Birthday in our room.
The cottage itself was so nice. It had a bathtub for 2 that must be over 6 feet long. A 2 headed shower with a rain head that was 7 feet high. It felt like you were in a waterfall.
The service staff, incredibly helpful and cheerful.
Across the street they have a fitness center with the biggest swimming pool ever. I am a swimmer and I am so impressed. Plus, there are decks of comfortable lounges overlooking the pool and ocean. Lovely people bring you ice water.
I live on the central coast and have stayed all over coastal California and the Biltmore has my vote on several levels.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I are huge Four Seasons fans. We appreciate the fact that their properties are all unique, and that a stay at each one brings a new surprise, unlike other "cookie-cutter" properties that try to compete.
Though I must be honest and say that this property lacks some of the features that other, usually newer Four Season properties offer, the location and layout of the hotel more than makes up for it.
The good:
1) The hotel is RIGHT on the the ocean in Santa Barbara (actually ten minutes outside SB), and the view is amazing.
2) This is an older property, and it is extremely well-kept. In addition, the mature landscaping as you walk through the hotel offers a canopy of trees, leaving a cozy feeling that leads to the impression that you are on some far, distant property, away from it all. In fact, the feeling you get is that you are in an amazingly romantic property. In addition, there are archways leading to quaint, romantic grassy knolls, with benches, or croquet courts. The effect is sublime.
3) There are two lovely pools, one in the middle of the property, and a second, larger one, right on the ocean.
4) The Biltmore offers a private swimming and dining club to locals, and the restaurant (located on the second floor at the larger pool) is casual, but with outstanding food, and an unbeatable view of the ocean. I highly recommend that restaurant, which is only open to hotel guests and members, rather than the larger restaurant in the main building.
5) The bar is lovely, and has comfortable seating, both indoor and outdoor, where you can watch the surf pounding.
6) The service is typically "Four Seasons Impeccable". My wife and I drove once from the hotel into SB for dinner, and upon our return, the valet welcomed me back by name, though it was the first and only time I touched my car during our weekend stay. I was amazed. Kudos.
7) The Southwestern style of the hotel and rooms is charming.
8) The lobby has comfortable seating, and it is comfortable to sit and chat with other guests.
9) I was told that this facility is exceptionally busy and hosts more than 150 weddings per year, and I can certainly see why. It would be an excellent choice for a destination wedding.

The not so good:
1) We were upgraded to an executive king room, which came with a lovely fireplace. That said, the bathroom was less than I have seen in other Four Seasons properties. I realize that the facility is older, but if I'm honest, I have enjoyed nicer rooms and baths in other hotels of this caliber.
2) Their main dining room is okay. Nothing special. You'd do better in town. Again, this is not a complaint. I'm simply being real.
3) For those of us that have visited Santa Barbara, we know that the wine area in the region is fantastic (see "Sideways"). However, Santa Barbara itself is nothing more than a long street with chain stores. There's nothing charming about SB. Sorry, but it's the truth. I can't blame the hotel, but if you are traveling from a long distance, you might as well know the truth.

There are better hotels in the Los Angeles metropolitan area (including the Four Seasons Beverly Hills), but from my perspective, if I really wanted to get away and just get lost and get romantic, I might possibly choose to return, and I don't way that about all the places I've traveled to.

Enjoy the splurge. It's worth it!

Room Tip: Though I didn't see one, the cottages in the hotel appear to be very nice. If you're interes...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!