“Vintage Spanish luxury!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
Calabasas, CA
“Vintage Spanish luxury!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times over as many years as my industry holds its annual conference here. My stays have been consistently enjoyable.
First, this is a unique property. The ocean view is beautiful with wonderful sunsets. (You will want to plan to have breakfast onsite with the ocean view. The room is very nice with a fireplace.) If you are a nature lover, or even just an admirer of flora, the grounds will astound you. They have a tremendous variety of plants and most are labeled. Its unlike anything I've ever seen and I've stayed at quite a few nice resorts and many of them were in tropical locations where you might expect something similar. There are many gigantic trees that are simply amazing. The buildings are of a Spanish style complete with nice tile work that give you an old-world feel. Paths and common areas are dimly lit in the evening and the whole property is quite romantic. Santa Barbara has a good variety of high quality restaurants nearby so you won't lack for possibilities.
The staff is always accomodating and they even allow pets. We took our dogs one year and they laid out dog treats and bowls for them.
If I had any warning it would be that the resort is so dense with vegetation that most of the rooms don't get ample sunlight. I could see where this might be an issue for some. Also, I think it is always cool in Santa Barbara so bring a jacket even in summer. You should be fine to swim as the pool is heated.

Room Tip: I've stayed here many times. Sunlight can be scarce in rooms so if this is important you should...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,020 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hello. If I could give Four Seasons more than an excellent rating; I certainly would. I worked with Mr. Mestraud, Tanya, Maria and Joe all at different times in planning my proposal to my now fiancée. Every single person in this hotel was wonderful. EVERY person. I asked for a lot, and they delivered on every request I made and then some.

I was given the option to reserve a suite with an ocean view. Best decision I could have made. The suite was huge and had a great deck overlooking the Pacific. Couldn't ask for anything better.

For the proposal, I made a path of rose petals from the front door suite, down the hallway, through the living room and wrapping around to the balcony. Music played with candles and rose petals overlooking the ocean. Joe escorted my fiancée to the room from the spa. She walked in and followed the petals to find me waiting to "pop" the question. I did. And she said YES!

I couldn't have pulled this off without the help of every single staff member at the hotel. HUGE thanks to Tanya, Maria and Joe at the concierge desk and the hotel manager Michael. Santa Barbara is beautiful. We fell in love with this hotel and city and we are planning on getting married at this hotel based on our overall experience; along with the beautiful scenery.

Every day we would walk into the room and find a special surprise of chocolate, or champagne, or truffles, and nice notes from staff. It was fantastic! Impeccable service!!!

If you want to be whisked away into a romantic setting with your loved one, this hotel and location is the place to be.

Thank you Four Seasons for a memorable, romantic, beautiful 7 days in Santa Barbara, California.

Our stay - 12/28 thru 1/3/13

Room Tip: Suites are the way to go for a romantic trip. Quiet, peaceful and fun. Definitely rent bikes and f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
La Habra, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This first class luxury hotel was running a "buy 2 nits, get 1 nite free" special. We opted for the slightly larger room with fireplace due to the cold holiday weather. The regular rate was $655/ nite. So, the special was a substantial break. Our room was spacious with a walk in closet. The bathroom had a heated tile floor and a steam room built into the shower. Our room had a peek a boo ocean view.

The hotel was nicely decorated for the Christmas holiday. The grounds were kept immaculate. They have a putting green and croquette on the grounds. Also, they have a nice pool heated to ~ 90 degrees. As a guest... You also have access to a beach club situated across the street from the hotel ( on the beach ). The beach club is a great place for dining with an ocean view. Also, they have an Olympic size lap pool and spacious cabanas.

Valet parking is easy... $31 / nite

We really enjoyed their Christmas dinner buffet. The food was excellent for a buffet.
Included king crab legs, caviar, suishi, shrimp, lobster risotto, carving stations with prime rib, turkey and salmon. Dessert was a treat... Too many items to describe.

This is a wonderful hotel to relax and unwind. You feel pampered here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Biltmore/Four Seasons is one of those hotels you need to include on your bucket list. We love staying at historical properties and this one did not disappoint. The grounds are stunning and we had great pleasure walking around the property looking at all the gardens. We stayed in one of the bungalows which was beautifully decorated with understated elegance. A bucket of chilled champagne and strawberries were waiting for us upon our arrival. Nice touch. The staff were all cordial and professional - what you would expect at a Four Seasons. Our only meals were for breakfast and sitting on the terrace at the Bella Vista overlooking the Pacific is the way I wish I could start each morning. We enjoyed our pre-dinner cocktails in the lounge sitting by the fireplace each evening - elegant surroundings without being stuffy. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Four Seasons for one night on our California coastal vacation. We loved the hotel grounds and the location as it's literally across the street from the Pacific. The restaurants are well situated and we enjoyed breakfast and drinks outside in the cool California weather. Our room (465) was a bit outdated for our taste but was very clean. It had no view whatsoever as it faced the "inner courtyard" but really we stared into the leaves of an overgrown palm tree. The Four Seasons is known for its service but there were a few times my wife found it lacking. Overall, we had a pretty good experience but left wondering if we had received a good value. Our one night total for room, breakfast and one round of cocktails was just over $700. No regrets but I might do it slightly differently if there's a next time.

• Stayed December 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is our 2nd holiday vacay at The Biltmore. We had such an amazing time last year, we decided to return again and this time we were able to enjoy the spa, and the restaurants.

We had requested the same cottage we had last year, but was given one closer to the train tracks. The noise was bearable, just that my 20-month old toddler was scared everytime the loud train went by...We were glad he slept through the night.

Our first night sleep was not too pleasant because the crib they gave us was really small. During spa the next day (which was spectacular), I mentioned lightly to the therapist, joking about our son's feet on my face the entire night...and VOILA. 10 minutes after returning to my room, a man showed up with a large roller bed, without me even requesting for one and he set everything up for us so that my son could have his own bed. We were WOWED! AMAZING!!!

We had room service twice and ate at Bella Vista 3 times; once for Sunday Brunch which was so so for me, but my husband liked it, once for afternoon tea, which we thought was rather underwhelming, and once for dinner which we thought was REALLY scrumptious (especially the buttered truffle pasta!).

Overall an amazing experience albeit the rain for 4 days straight. And my son was given cute little Beenie babies everywhere he went!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent our first anniversary here. Stayed at San Ysidro Ranch for our honeymoon and decided to try this property by the beach this year. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne and strawberries in our room. Had a wonderful stay in a deluxe cottage suite. Exceptional service. Really impressed with in-room dining service. Food was prepared and delivered perfectly. Wonderful spa treatment with a very knowledgable massage therapist, in a room with an ocean view so you can hear the waves during your massage. Excellent service from everyone at the hotel. I thought it would be hard to beat San Ysidro Ranch, but we were pleasantly surprised. Great to be across the street from Butterfly Beach and have access to the Coral Casino. Looks like we will have to alternate between the two properties now.

Room Tip: Cottages offer more privacy. Some people complain about the train, but it is really not that loud...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!