“Beautiful grounds, attentive, friendly service.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #6 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beautiful grounds, attentive, friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Four Seasons twice now. We will continue to stay there every time we are in Santa Barbara. The hotel is right on the ocean, it is an easy walk into town and lovely restaurants. We had appetizers and drinks in the bar for dinner a couple of nights, took some people to the restaurant for dinner one night--the food is excellent both places. Couple of things to be aware of, there is no ice machines so you need to call housekeeping to get ice (a little inconvenient) and wi-fi is not included, not a big deal for us as we travel with our own hot spot, but not everyone does. Coffee and muffins are available VERY early in the bar. Great for us as we are very early risers and need a cup of coffee for our first stoll of the day on the beach

1,019 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If your'e looking for a beautiful luxury getaway the Four Seasons Biltmore is the place. The grounds are nothing more than a spectacular and amazing scene of a mediterranean garden filled with palm trees, ferns and beautiful flowers. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful, especially the front desk and concierge. The quest rooms are very nice and emanate the luxury of a mexican resort. It was my birthday weekend and never have been to Santa Barbara. We were upgraded to an ocean view front and when we entered the room there was a birthday cake on the dresser. We rented bikes and strolled along the beach which is right in front of the resort. Being an extremely picky traveler, I can honestly say this is the luxury resort you've been searching for! It was one of the most memorable experiences and I will definitely return!!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are a must if you are planning to stay in this luxury resort!!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a beautiful property - low Spanish hacienda style buildings set in lush landscaped gardens overlooking the ocean. What more could one want? A little more warmth and professional welcome for one.

We stayed at this property fifteen years ago and loved it, so I was looking forward to returning for one night during a recent visit to the Californian coast. There were two girls on reception both looking bored. We were ignored. Eventually we were attended to for check in. Not five star service. The room we were offered certainly wasn't five star either although the price was. It was on the ground floor, and very dark as the lush foliage had overgrown against the windows, but worse still it looked out on a passageway so that people could just pass and look into the room if one left the curtains open. This was not acceptable. A return trip to reception and service improved some: we were offered a room in the main building with a sea view and balcony. This was the same room type as the room I had previously booked, but I was told that there were only '12 rooms with partial sea view.' This property seems to cater mainly for two types of client: weekdays - corporate events and team building meetings; weekends - weddings, weddings and weddings. If you are a private individual you are left out in the cold. In my book it is guests such as myself and husband that the hotel should be going the extra mile for. A poorly located room could easily be palmed off onto the corporate conference attendee - it is poor customer relations to try and palm off duff rooms to individuals booking via regular rack rates.

I'll get the other negatives off my chest before I return to the positives:

The room was beautiful, and definitely enhanced with balcony plus sea view. The bathroom was spacious with twin sink,spanish tiles and large bath and overhead shower. Soft plush towels but where was the coffee machine? This is now standard in virtually all properties and ranges from a basic drip machine to up-to-date Nespresso-type capsule varieties. Where was room information? Nothing to guide the visitor at all to any of the property's amenities. But the biggest no-no of all was lack of internet, or rather there was internet, they just expected you to pay top dollar for it. I expect free Wi-fi wherever I go: whether it's at Starbucks for Coffee, Waterstones for books, or in a hotel. If this can be provided for free in the remotest places, I find it hard to believe that the Four Seasons, Santa Barbara expects its guests to shell out $12.95 for 24hrs worth of access. I refused to pay and went to Coffee Bean in Montecito, both for breakfast the following morning and to use their free wifi. But of course, I bet all those corporate guests don't worry about add on costs for wifi - their company is picking up the tab.

Now for the plus points.
The property is gorgeous and beautifully maintained. The gardens luxuriant and the ocean awaits just across the road. The tide was right so we managed to walk along the beach to Santa Barbara and back which is only possible at low tide. It's a great walk - one my favourites. Just a few dog walkers and sea birds and pelicans swooping low down to the sea.
Coral Casino is also just across the road. Despite it's name it's not a casino but a fabulous swimming pool (Olympic size), health club and spa (plus a couple of restaurants) that overlooks the ocean in all its art deco glory. It's been given a complete makeover since I last visited 15 years ago and it's just fabulous. The weather was stormy, but it was exhilarating to join the other regulars pounding up and down the lengths. And for an early morning dip what could be better than sitting in the relaxing bubbles of the jacuzzi and watching life out to sea.
What a contrast with the grumpy staff across the road in the main hotel: the staff at Coral Casino Club couldn't have been nicer - I was welcomed warmly and shown the facilities and greeted like an old friend when I returned the next morning. That's how it should be.

This is our preferred location for a stay in Santa Barbara - you can walk (or cycle) either along the beach or by the cliff top road to town (or take the car, or even a bus),plus you can walk across the railway track that runs along the back of the property into the charming upscale village of Montecito and enjoy the individual boutiques and restaurants. We ate at Mollie's and found it to be one of the best in the area. Yummy authentic Italian cuisine ... and they had wifi for free!

Room Tip: Dont be put off you don't like the room location go back to reception and demand better. There...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we truly appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the poor service you encountered at our Front Desk and assure you that follow-up has taken place to address these issues. We are also looking into solutions for the room you mentioned. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Coral Casino and other aspects of your stay. Thank you again for the review, and please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of assistance in the future.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager
Phone: (805) 896-1419
Email: Michael.Mestraud@fourseasons.com
Laguna Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The staff are impeccable, the gardens are amazing and location is superb. The only drawback was that they only rent the bikes out for free for two hours. Really? We've stayed in another SB hotel that's a fraction of the price and you get their bikes all day for free. Otherwise, can't fault it. Shame we only stayed one night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I took my wife to santa barbara for a birthday weekend get away. The hotel is beautiful. The staff was friendly and very helpful with getting us on a wine tour of the near by wineries, and the hotel restaurant food was very good as well.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

the grounds surrounding this resort were beautiful... we spent quite a bit of time walking around to where the the grounds become residential- wow! the casino club where the 50m pool is was lovely too- great food, and pool staff coming round with drinks and fruit for you to cool down. the jacuzzi is scorching though!!

the hotel itself was 'average' on par to other four seasons. the room service wasn't that great as the two times we ordered it our orders were wrong. in addition, staff weren't as 'on top' with customer service as i would have expected though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Biltmore is a lovely hotel in a very lovely setting. The hotel was built in the 20's and has it's share of quirks, some good, others not. I didn't see the entry level rooms since I was given an upgrade via Virtuoso booking but the first room I was shown was very underwhelming. It was near the back of the property down a long
corridor with no view except the wall of the patio. The room was fine, a little plain and not very well lit like many older properties. I decided to upgrade as I wanted a view and the hear the ocean. I was shown 3 other upgraded rooms. All were better than the first but I not until I was shown the Mariposa Suite did I find all the things I wanted. It was lovely, 2 baths, 3 balconies, living/dining room with gas
fireplace, steam shower and at last a view and the sound of the waves.
The staff ranged from great to clueless. Everyone was really friendly, especially
Alexandria at the front desk but several seemed more interested in standing and talking to their work mates or had little or incorrect information. I was told the
restaurants at the Coral Beach Club were open but when I arrived the bar was the only thing open and it was "closing in 30 minutes." So beware of visits on monday or tues. On tues I had a delicious lunch at the upstairs restaurant at the Tydes it was very nice, I was the only person dining so I had a host of waiters that day, all nice. Dinner at the hotel restaurant started off shaky. The hostess seemed annoyed that I didn't want to sit at the first table (in the flow of traffic) but I had a wonderful waiter and a tasty pasta and truffle dinner which helpted to make up for her intial lack of graciousness.
All in all it was a fine, ok, nice, enjoyable but not a great, over the top, wonderful stay. I love Santa Barbara and I love the setting and style of the property but for a Four Seasons and for the price, I left feeling a little disappointed and underwhelmed. Doubt I will return unless I find a really great rate on a suite.

Room Tip: The rooms furthest too the left when facing the hotel from the beach offer the best views and ocean...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!