“Beautiful resort but choose your room carefully.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful resort but choose your room carefully.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were on the Amex platinum package and when we arrived at the hotel around 6pm (after check-in), our room was not ready which is unacceptable at that hour. We had to wait an hour or so and then they gave us the worst room at the end of a corridor that was very dark. Needless to say we were very disappointed. We've been to a dozen Four Seasons all around the world and this was our worst experience in term of check-in and room. I would recommend booking a suite instead of a room. The rest of our stay was very good. The coral casino pool is beautiful and with good service. The concierge was very good at booking for us Lotusland. Amazing, not to be missed! Went for a dinner at San Ysidro Ranch and it was magical, i regret not booking there for the vacation. We did one day of driving in wine country (Los Olivos etc.), nice day trip.

Room Tip: choose a room higher than first category.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
East Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited this hotel on a recent weekend, using it as a base for touring the area and some R&R. While I am aware that this is a wedding destination hotel, I wasn't prepared for how it would actually feel. There were three weddings during our two night stay, and I have heard that summer weekends can bring up to 5 such events. There were pockets of chaos the entire weekend, beginning at check in and peaking when imbibing guests wandered around the lobby and grounds to continue the celebrations. It's a version of being a non participant at a hotel dominated by conventioneers. Further, our room faced the lawn, a scene of two weddings with the additional onslaught of set up/take down noise. There was certainly nothing that the staff could do, so we didn't choose to complain about it.

There is, as many have commented on, a train that runs next to the property. We heard it a few times during the day and evening but not at night, which was a relief. The hotel provides ear plugs and a little information page about the excitement of arriving by train in days past, probably trying to tone down complaints. It wasn't a problem for us at all, however.

The property is older and generally well kept, but there are whiffs here and there of "old." There is a wide variety of rooms and cottages, so I'd suggest looking through the images on the website to make a selection. The staff was pleasant and friendly. The valet parking space is tight and can get very busy when a lot of guests arrive at the same time. Fee is $31/day. Charge for internet, as well.

Four Seasons has this irritating corporate policy of not providing much information about the hotel in rooms in order to generate interaction with the staff. As a result, there wasn't one piece of paper in the room that provided basic information, such as hours of the restaurant and fitness center, towel availability at pools, etc. Everything takes a phone call and it's just a waste of time for guests and staff to have to handle such mundane questions.

We had breakfast at the restaurant - the buffet looked lackluster, but the ala carte menu was excellent and the service friendly and professional. Montecito is short walk away, but it is a strip of mostly upscale clothing stores. For the touring part of our program, we would have preferred to be in Santa Barbara proper, with its wide selection of restaurants, shops and attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit. We do our best to balance our leisure, wedding and business guests, and while we usually do a great job, I am truly disappointed to hear that we fell short on this occasion. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding the train, we are looking at ways to better communicate this nuance of the Resort to our guests prior to arrival. We've also heard mixed feedback from guests regarding the information in guest rooms, which is helpful for us to take into consideration. I'm very glad to hear you had positive experiences with our staff and in the restaurant. I would be happy to speak with you personally regarding the details of your experience, so please feel free to contact me anytime.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager
(805) 565-8202
michael.mestraud@fourseasons.com
Hoover, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My son recently was invited to speak at a symposium of his professional association, which was hosted by the Four Seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara. Referencing my atlas, I found that the city lies at the southern end of the gorgeous stretch of the California Pacific Coast Highway which begins in Monterey, meanders through Carmel and showcases the indescribable Wonders of Big Sur. Consequently I invited myself to accompany my son so he and I might take advantage of his invitation and extend the business engagement into a long-awaited road trip. Since seeing the movie “The Sandpiper", I wanted to drive through Big Sur. This was the perfect time to do so. We spent one most night in the little arty village of Cambria, then stopped at Harmony and Morro Bay before crossing the mountains at Los Padres National Forrest and finally cruising into Santa Barbara.

Arriving at the expensively-groomed grounds of Four Seasons, there was no doubt that we were going to have a most pleasant and upscale experience. Walking into the impressively inviting lobby, we checked in and were then escorted through beautifully and meticulously maintained manicured gardens to our well-appointed cottage. Scarcely had we settled in when an attendant arrived with a tray of appetizers consisting of freshly-made baba ghanoush and delicate wafer crackers, compliments of the conference sponsors. Enjoying the refreshments we surveyed our room. Everything was exceptional as expected. The bathroom was exquisite, appointed with outstandingly colorful Spanish tile. I especially enjoyed the face and bath soap
made by L'Occitane with shea butter. Great fragrance.

Later that afternoon, I was fascinated by a wedding ceremony being conducted right outside our cottage. What an appropriate setting for such a monumental and personal event. After enjoying a simple meal at a nearby restaurant, we spent a most pleasant evening sleeping on extra-comfortable beds in our quiet, luxurious room. After my son’s presentation, I grabbed my camera and recorded a bit of the scenic beauty in which we were surrounded.

All in all, the Four Season’s Biltmore was even more lavish and special that I had even anticipated. Although I consider myself a well-seasoned traveler, only rarely have I been afforded the luxury and first class accommodations and service of such stellar lodging.

Room Tip: I doubt if there is anything other than a good room at the Four Seasons.
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is situated beautifully in front of the ocean, it is very pretty and the service is smart, our room was not huge but adequate and very comfortable, as usual the beds are a dream BUT the noise from outside our room every morning from the cleaning staff gathering outside was horrendous- not really the staffs fault more that the rooms are not sound proofed and the doors are flimsy.
We complained, we got nowhere. Apparently there was no quieter room available. The manager promised the staff would be silent- I'm sure they tried! We ended up just getting up earlier....
The beach club across the road is amazing and we spent most of our time there. The food is good both pool side and in the restaurant.The beach is nice to walk on. The sea is not the cleanest.
The main restaurant in the hotel is nice especially if you sit outside.
The spa is well run and a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs as all rooms are noisy apparently.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FSSantaBarbara, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I truly appreciate your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to mention the positive aspects of your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was less than perfect, as we expect it to be, and will use this opportunity to revisit this topic with our staff. I sincerely apologize for the noise issues and moreover that we were not successful in resolving your concerns. I would welcome a chance to speak with you further about this, so please feel free to contact me anytime, and thank you again.

Michael Mestraud
Resort Manager
(805) 896-1419
Michael.Mestraud@fourseasons.com
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We will return to this beautiful place one day. The architecture is radiates a tranquility that cannot help but make you feel relaxed.

We were upgraded to a cottage and I could have lived there forever.

The gardens are beautiful and our children (aged 3 and 5) loved to play croquet and practise their putting on the green, just like daddy.

We ate all our breakfasts and had one dinner in the restaurant and one as room service.

All the food was impeccable; tasty, hot, well presented, plentiful and delicious. I would class the breakfasts as the best we have eaten outside Asia.

Any employee we encountered was charming and welcoming to our entire family.

The one tiny niggles we had were that the two afternoons we were at the pool there was no pool service at all. I know we could have gone to the larger club pool, but we loved the intimacy and proximity to our room of the hotel pool.

We will return to Santa Barbara as it is a gorgeous part of the world and when we do we will stay here again.

los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I just returned from my perfect weekend getaway at the Biltmore and it was spectacular! I went with two friends to have a low-key birthday celebration and from the moment we arrived we were treated with such kindness from the staff. While on the way to Montecito from Los Angeles, I spoke to Guadeloupe from the Biltmore to see to check on a possible early check-in to the hotel before the standard 4 pm check-in time. She was lovely over the telephone and assured me that yes, our room would be ready for check-in early. When we arrived at the front desk 10 minutes later, not only were we warmly greeted by both Guadeloupe and Alexandra, but when we got to our room there was a beautiful gourmet chocolate birthday cake waiting for us!!! That was just the start of our star treatment at the Biltmore. We can not sing enough praises about Guadeloupe. She went above and beyond to take care of us and because of her we can't wait to return!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great staff, attentive service from the moment you walked into the premises. Very helpful conceirge to lead us to the local eateries. They do know how to make our whole famliy have a wonderful stay. My 2-year old daughter was given a cute toy puppy and kids toiletteries, AND kids size bathrobe. Our whole family felt so pampered for the short 1 night stay. What we love is the consistency of great service all throughout, from front desk and restaurant-not a single miss. That's why we love the four seasons.

Not to mention the room was absolutely gorgeous, especially the very spacious bathroom- just one small cons- the floor could be very slippery with the tiles. Otherwise- perfect perfect stay.
Did i mention the beach club access for the guest, where you could swim at the heated pool literally next to the pacific ocean? Can't rave enough about the Baltimore-we definitely will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!