“Better than a motel and pet friendly!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   421 South Milpas Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93103   |
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Better than a motel and pet friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I was looking for some time away to relax that wasn't too far a drive from where I live in LA and didn't want to spend a lot of money. And I wanted to take my dog! This was perfect. The rooms were very crisp and clean and very nice, with a little kitchenette so I was able to bring our own food. The shower was nice, the bed comfy. Cable and free wi-fi (though I purposely did not bring my computer). There is a little park right next door which was convenient for dog necessary walks and the beach less than a block away. The beach itself is not pet friendly but the walk along the beach is fine with dogs on leash. There is a dog beach not far away where dogs can play off leash so we stopped there in the morning.

Only thing I do wish is that the rooms had air conditioning. They do have ceiling fans and with windows open we did get enough of a breeze to be comfortable. However, I did not like having the windows open all the time. I had a german shepherd with me so didn't worry too much about security when I was there but at one point in the night I had to take the dog out and had that "DUH!" moment when the door closed behind me and I didn't have the card key. I tried ringing for the manager (it was after the office closed but there is someone supposedly on site) but no answer. I was able to pop off the screen to my room very easily and reach in and got the key and popped the screen back in. It did save the day for me but I was concerned that the room is so easy to enter. Since I had the dog I left the window open when I went to bed but later in the evening people coming in making noise (not trying to be loud but talking) woke me and one time caused my dog to bark. So we had to close the window and lose the breeze. If there had been an AC or fan unit we could have had the window closed and stayed cool. Better for sleeping and better for security.

That aside, if traveling with my dog again, I would absolutely stay here. The folks that run the motel are nice, the rooms are very comfortable and the location is convenient.

Room Tip: Is a motel so no restaurant but you can call for food delivery from nearby restaurants and you can b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Loved this place. We stayed for one night on our way from San Francisco to LA and it exceeded expectations. Very well decorated/furnished room with a very good shower. We enjoyed the pool and the motel provided pool towels for us. Beach 3 mins away and they provided beach towels and chairs too! Only gripe was that there was no air conditioning which wasn’t great at night when it got rather hot.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed as part of our trip up the west coast and arrived without a booking. , This place is an excellent stopoff and actually far better than a motel. Clean and well appointed it is a very convenient place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonoma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Blue Sands Motel for two nights in March 2014. We were impressed with the large tidy bedroom and a spacious bathroom that had a great shower. Understand that the latter was due to a recent renovation but not all of the units have received the upgrade. The staff was very helpful passing on good comments on the local restaurants and things to do. I have no hesitation in recommending the Blue Sands for travelers looking for good value.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room and found it to be very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was a bit anxious when we pulled into the Sands from our drive up from LAX on a fri late evening to an empty office. When we called the night manager he stated he left the key in a safe hidden location. My friend and I laughed that it felt like checking into a campground. So I was incredibly delighted that the king fireplace room was as cute as it was!! The bed was very comfy the shower had brand new tile and the whole place was quaint quiet and clean. Great location awesome value. The night manager the next morning gave us great advice on a combination bike hike that was difficult but perfect. We had a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Went there for one night with two kids. Nice, quiet place which is close to the beach. Not very fancy place, but nice. The people working there were very kind. It is not open 24-hours så don't arrive too late in the evening.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The best kept secret in Santa Barbara. Location is great. Nice market just up the street, and only a half block from the beach! Great location. The staff there very friendly. Reasonably priced. Clean, fireplace, with a kitchen. I highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
BlueSandsMotel, Manager at Blue Sands Motel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for very kind review. The produce market you mention is a wonderful place and consistently gets great comments from our guests. It is particularly convenient for our guests with kitchens and is popular with the locals as well. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Blue Sands Motel? Share your experiences!