“Could have been worse.0” 2 of 5 stars

Rose Garden Inn
3643 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105 (Formerly Hacienda Motel)   |
Ranked #47 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
West Covina
“Could have been worse.0”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

We went for weekend get-a-way with our two boys.Our stay seemed to be better than the others I read about. The room was newly decorated, clean with no holes in the walls. However, the ceiling fan was so wabbley we thought it was going to take off. The bathroom door shuts but with a push can be opened. Light bulb was out and pillows are flat; bring your own. Nothing big. It was clean, bright and suited our needs. There were a lot of ciggerette butts outside our door. (an ashcan of sorts would have helped.) The desk personel were pleasant but didn't go out of their way. No pool or continental breakfast. Next time were planning WAY ahead and going to a nicer place. It was okay in a pinch. We don't want to stay there again though.

• Liked — Nice bathroom
  • Disliked — No pool. Bed wiggles too much and the pillows were flat.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
los angeles, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

this place looks like a dump! don't believe the website!!! it smells, there was water running, the place is under construction, and there is a dog forever barking. I went to inspect a room and it was dirty and dumpy looking. I asked if the heater was working because it was cold and they told me it took a while before it got warm. the man then came and yanked the key out of my hand and said, "do you want it or not"! after treatment like that I told him he was extremely rude and wouldn't stay even if it was free. after arguing with the lady at the front desk because i had booked in advance she was planning to charge me a $35.00 cancellation fee. i told her it looks nothing like the website and was telling her all the reasons why i would not stay. she just disagreed with certains points saying, "does not smell, not dirty" and said cancellation fee is $35. so i just stormed out. trust me look for another hotel

Stayed February 2007
Burbank, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever experienced. The sink's faucet fell off the first time I used it. There were sweat or some kind of stains on the chair in the room. There was graffiti on the lamp shade. The check out time was written in sharpie on the back of the door. I sound like I am exaggerating, but this was all real. Do not waste your money at this hotel.

Stayed September 2006
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

Got in very late after a long drive. There were no vacancies anywhere else. I guess that should have explained it. I got "the last room" with a queen for me, my wife and three year old. As one of the other reviews states, there was a huge hole in the wall with a second fridge trying to cover it. I could literally hear the bugs crawling around in the hole and munching. The carpet was so dirty I put my son on the bed and never let him get down. The wife and I wore flippers the whole time. After ripping off the comforter to set the kid down, we pulled the sheets back and there were dirty smashed booger filled tissues between the "clean" sheets along with the occasional private area curly hair.

Well what would you do after driving from Phoenix and getting in at 1:30am? We had a down throw and we all shared it along with our own pillows thankfully. There were noisy low lifes in and out all night. The only way to deal with the extreme urine odor was to leave the windows open, this is not something I would suggest to most people but I always carry a handgun in my luggage (yes even in California). We got up only five hours later of horrible sleep and bailed. I ripped the owner a new one and asked for my money back or a discount but he couldn't care any less. I am contesting the charges to American Express just for the point of it!
Honestly people, it was so bad I am buying a travel trailer so I never make that mistake again.

Please heed the warnings! I wouldn't let my dogs sleep on this motels floor!

• Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
orange county
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

Me and my fiance decided to take a trip for our anniversary. We wanted it to be relaxing so we planned to take the amtrak train. So prior to booking the hotel I wanted to make sure it was in reasonable walking distance. I looked online for hotels most of them already booked then I came across the Hacienda It looked ok and it was priced great. I called the front desk and was told it was one mile from the train station. Well once we arived at the train station 3000 blocks later after a trolly and a bus ride I called to get cross streets was told the wrong street so we had to walk three streets back. We stood infront of the motel my fiance laughing and me crying. Well we thought can't judge a book by it's cover. So scared and disapointed we walked in to a DUMP. The carpet black, dust on the walls dirty bathroom, creaking ceilling, four foot tall shower, the worst smell ever, bugs in the frig, dirty towels, thin sheets, no air, windows that wouldn't lock. Thank god I brought flip flops because I never took them off even in the shower. Pretty much I would never stay again even if it was free.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — filth evey where
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here it's worth paying more eltsewhere
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

My husband and I went on line to find a hotel/motel to stay at since we were going to be in Santa Barbara for a wedding. I should have checked out the reviews, as I have in the past, but I did not.I saw a picture of the motel on the Internet and it also advertiesed it had internet access......so I thought.it has to be decent! On arrival, the floors were dirty, carpet filthy. I had flip flops thank goodness, but husband did not. We asked to be changed to a new room because there was a huge hole in the wall. The owner said it was for a new AC and most of the rooms had a hole. They covered it up with a refrgerator. So now we are staying in a dump with TWO refirgerators in the room. We had little time to spare before the wedding, so we changed and left. We did leave our car at the secure restaurant site (at the wedding) for fear of vandalism at this place. Several of the guests were smoking "something", one young man I almost called 911emergency on due to his incoherent state. They actually charged us $120.00 a night. We almost left at 0300 we woke up due to the filth. I do not recommend this to anyone!!

• Liked — CLose to wedding event
  • Disliked — FIlthy accomadations
  • Tips/Secrets — check trip advisor before selecting a hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

I had read the bad reviews on this site about the Hacienda Motel, but decided to try it anyway. The website looked ok and I was in need of somewhere cheap to stay. When I got there I kept in mind all the bad things I had read about the place and made sure to check out everything right away.

The room was decent, clean but not great. I saw no major flaws. The furniture looked like it was just thrown in there. The cabinet for the tv was crooked and slightly in front of the mirror, the lamp shades were all slanted, and one had no bulb.

The bed was not good. Very uncomfortable both of us had sore backs in the morning. Although the bedding seemed to be very clean and fairy new.

The bathroom was far below average. The floor was pretty dirty around the perimeter, the soap too small, and no shampoo which was a bummer. The water pressure was terrible and the temperature was difficult to adjust. I seemed to get only very hot or very cold. Nice big mirror and cabinet space to put my things.

Only major problem was that our power went out twice. Once when we used the microwave and once with the hairdryer. Both occasions the staff was very helpfull and took care of it within minutes.

I wouldn't say it was a horrible place to stay, but i'm sure i'll be trying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!