“service dogs unwelcome” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 59 hotels in Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz, California
“service dogs unwelcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have a disability (invisible) and have a service dog. Her access to all accomodations is protected by federal law, however, I usually chose motels designated pet friendly because they are used to dogs. For this weekend however, the Motel 6 at the beach in Santa Barabara had no vacancy, so I reserved a room at The Pacific Coast Inn next door. When I arrived at the front desk with my certified service dog,(in her service dog vest with license number), the manager told me dogs were not allowed. I explained she was a certified service dog, so her access to accomodation was protected by federal law. He said he'd have to make a call to check if it was O.K.. I said again it was against to law to refuse accomodation because I had a disability and needed a service dog. He discussed the situation with another employee behind the desk, who said hthey would have to change my room to one with no carpet. I told him it was discrimination to change my booking . He made a call anyway. (or pretended to). I waited. I was exhausted, felt ill, needed to lie down. I just wanted the key to my room. But then he wanted to see "the dogs papers". I guess to prove she was in fact a service dog. Eventually I got into the room. It was O.K.: spacious,nice view, clean. But when you arrive at accomodation tired from a long drive, the last thing you want is to have
to struggle with reception for your right to stay in the room you reserved.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My son was graduating in April 2013. Santa Barbara is an awesome town and staying there is not cheap. Pacific Crest Inn was near the water and reasonable for pricing. We stayed in the room on the 2nd floor above the Managers office area. Nice View. There is also a pool.The room had a small kitchen. We are from Pennsylvania see we were up at 5am everyday. Coffee was not easily acceptable. (In fact we ran into other East Coast people wondering the streets for Coffee) There are larger hotels nearby that probably wouldn't notice if you wondered into their lobbys. LOL. If you want a super clean and updated place to stay look elsewhere. I was fine with it but i could see others finding it unacceptable.
For the price I paid I was very satisfied but it was nothing really special and nothing bad to say.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Shell Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was very disappointed with this hotel, even after the mediocre reviews. I chose it because everything else in the area was sold out one month before our trip. From the room pictures, I thought it was a shined up budget hotel; I guess anything looks okay from a distance. I had to take pictures to show anyone interested in staying here what it really looks like. I don't want the next person to be as disappointed as I was. I chose the Ocean-View Suite because of the large room and inexpensive price.

On the plus side, it is one block from East Beach and my boyfriend and I could walk to the wedding we were attending at Cabrillo Arts Pavilion; It is not close to many restaurants, State Street or the wharf.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

bed was so hard.
The tv in room is too small to be viewed from the bed.
The heater made so much noise, we had to turn it off.
Overall the location and price is a deal still and the staff was very pleasant.

Room Tip: if you love a extra firm mattress, great! the location to beach and the price of the room are the be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed her for 3 nights in October. It was refreshing to have a wooden floor rather than a sticky horrid old carpet so that was a real pleasant surprise.

The room was clean and tidy and very private (we had a room overlooking the car park)
Free wifi, however this was not availbe in the room we were in and had to sit outside to access it. I found it rather noisey as you are close to the 101 and as the windows are vented they do not shut fully. Nothing a pair of ear plugs couldn't sort out!

Only downfall was there was no breakfast, but you can pick some up at the beach for a reasonable price.

It was a good location for the beach, but a good 20 minute walk to get to the heart of santa Barbara. We did this walk late at night on one ocassion and did not feel unsafe at any time...albeit not sure I would want to do it regularly.

Overall think it is one of the most reasonable places to stay in SB (Although still not cheap).

Enjoyed it enough to book an extra night and would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Only one block to the beach, very friendly staff and best deal I could find in a very expencive town. They have a great pool and free wifi. I would most definetly stay there again, next time I'm in California.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here for a night with my boyfriend on our first visit to Santa Barbara. On arrival it is not nearly as nice as the pictures online, however staff were friendly enough and although very old and basic in its decor our room appeared clean. The location is in fantastic proximity to the beach but quite a walk to the pier and main shops and restaurants. It is surrounded by other hotels and motels that all look to be a lot nicer and if we had been staying for more than a night I would have considered changing to one of these. In short, it is fine if you are looking for a base for the night but would not stay here again as it is so dated, would rather pay a bit more for somewhere nicer!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pacific Crest Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!