“Really pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 stars

1620 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #24 of 61 hotels in Santa Barbara
“Really pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

You don't ever expect much from a motel but this is the exception. Our room was all brand new and upon entering my wife and I both commented how clean it smelled. All the furniture and fixtures were brand new looking (including the tv) and everything was immaculately clean. Another bonus was their WiFi wasn't one of those "sign in" set-ups and worked better than any hotel WiFi we have ever used. Super friendly staff and only 2 blocks from everything Santa Barbara has to offer along with really clean and comfortable rooms make this place a serious winner in our book. We would highly recommend this place. The only negative comment we have is the room was about $300 a night all said and done but compared with rates in the area it's still not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Cleanliness of our property is one of our top priorities and thank you very much for noticing! We are proud of our new remodel and are happy to hear that you liked it too! We are very fortunate to be so close to everything that Santa Barbara has to offer so, I hope that you had the chance to enjoy all the shops and restaurants along State Street.
Thanks again for choosing to stay at the Presidio and we hope that you will visit us again soon.

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited "The Presidio" for the 2nd straight year in a row on Fiesta Weekend, Sunday August 4th and Monday August 5th, 2013--- and started out the visit on a little bit of a hiccup. After going to their website, http://www.presidiosb.co… I noticed their special tab which stated, "Want to get away? Take a last minute trip to beautiful Santa Barbara and stay with us! This promotion provides for $30 off our best available rate each room per night! Enter "LATE" into the Promo code section of the reservation page to take advantage of this special rate! Sunday - Thursday of this week only!"

I noticed the rate of $189.00 per night --- and the discount code was not accepted which would have brought the room rate down to $159.00 per night. Thereafter, I called the hotel directly --- where I was told that the best rate was $189 per night; and I asked thereafter why I wouldn't just book on Priceline for $170 per night. After a call back --- they agreed to match http://Priceline.com rate of $170 per night(honestly I was doing them a favor by booking directly with them and saving them the fee they would have had to pay http://Priceline.com), but they would not honor there discount rate of $159 per night which left a bitter taster in my mouth.

After arriving at the Presidio --- we noticed the place had been remodeled and was nicer in the rooms then we remembered with newer darker furniture --- bed, desk, and what appeared to be an Expedit Ikea Shelving Unit along with a flat screen mounted to the wall. The one upgrade that they still need to make is improving the bath towels. The current bath towels are by far some of the roughest and flimsy towels that I have ever used.

On a positive note ---- the staff seemed to be friendly --- housekeeping particularly and the free bikes are always nice to take out, however, I wish they were available after 6 PM.

I truly wonder whether I will give this place another visit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at the Presidio. We are pleased to hear that you liked the remodel and were able to enjoy the festivities of Old Spanish Days! It is an exciting time in Santa Barbara and we hope that you will come visit us again.
I do apologize for any bitterness you feel on the availability of the late deal special. As noted on the site, the late deal is subject to availability and certain blackout dates. So, since your stay corresponded with Fiesta, it was likely that the discount had been blacked out.
That said, we hope that you will give us another try soon. Please feel free to give me a call directly if you have questions and how we can better serve your needs. Thank you again.
Redlands, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I wish there was a category between "Average" and "Very Good" for this motel. If you want to stay in Santa Barbara in August, prices are very high. $500-$700 per night at the good hotels. We had no idea there was going to be a ghastly festival happening. If hoards of drunken revelers and crowded confetti-strewn streets are your "thing", than head to Santa Barbara for the yearly Fiesta in August. On the upside, the hotel was squeaky clean and the folks who run it are fabulous, very solicitous of their guests. The bed was deliciously comfortable. On the downside, it's on State Street, thus noisy, preventing us from opening our windows to enjoy the cool sea breezes. There is limited parking. It felt like a Motel 6 that had had an extreme makeover. And is it too much to ask to have some sort of kettle in the room so I don't have to get dressed first thing in the morning, schlep down to the office, turn the kettle on, wait for it to boil, in order to get a cup of tea? I mean we were paying $238 for the night. IF we were to return to this hotel, I'd bring along my own kettle. However, I think we'll give Santa Barbara a skip in future. It's got a seedy element, the streets felt unsafe sad to say.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have health issues that make it hard to carry your suitcases up step...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Fiesta in Santa Barbara. It has been a tradition in Santa Barbara for over 50 years and is a celebration of the history to the area. That said, it is not necessarily the environment for everyone and I hope that you will be able to come back to visit at a quieter time.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We take pride in the cleanliness of our property and try to make every effort to provide all the comforts that our customers seek. Most of the hotels are on State Street in Santa Barbara and we are fortunate to be walking distance to all the attractions in town. During a time like Fiesta, this can be a benefit for some and a deteriment to others.
Again, I'm sorry that Fiesta was not for you but, I do hope that you will give Santa Barbara another chance in the future and if you do, please come stay with us again.
Best Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Good value, pleasant hotel - really great to borrow their bikes and cruise down State street to the beachfront, plus they provided loads of helpful recommendations for what to do and where to eat - overall very pleased we chose to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing stay with us at the Presidio. We are so glad that you had a chance to borrow our beach bicycles to explore Santa Barbara! They are truly a wonderful way to get around town and enjoy all we have to offer. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our recommendations and hope that you will come visit us again soon. Thanks for your review and see you again soon.
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wow. From finding this place to booking it to staying there, the whole process was a breeze. Affordable (for Santa Barbara) and a nice location on upper State Street (much quieter). This little place has gone through a big renovation, turning an old-style motel into a clean, hip, nice place to stay. Pros: ULTRA clean, and I mean spotless. Loved the white linens (no stain-hiding duvets here, just clean and white and fluffy).Very clean bathroom and new carpets too. Extremely comfortable beds with nice pillows, not old or flat. Helpful and friendly staff. The only thing I would change is to move the outdoor smoking area completely away. We had a room near the upstairs deck (which we loved) and the smokers came out here so we had to come inside and close our windows. Not a big issue (not too many smokers) but it is literally the only thing we wished was different. I have already told several friends about this place and they are planning trips in the near future. I will DEFINITELY stay here again and recommend it to others. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing us a review. We greatly appreciate your choice to stay with us at the Presidio. We remodeled the hotel early this year (2013) and are so glad that you like the style of the hotel. We make every effort to ensure the cleanliness of our property as it is our top priority.
I'm sorry to hear that the smoke from the deck was troublesome during your stay. We would have been happy to rectify the situation during your stay if we were informed as we do have signs posted for these situations. That said, I hope that you enjoyed your time in Santa Barbara and that we will see you again soon. Thanks again!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having never been to Santa Barbara, looking for hotels online was quite a challenge. I didn't want anything outside of Santa Barbara but I was also not willing to pay an arm and a leg for a room. I searched many hotel sites (Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Kayak, etc) for a good deal, at a decent place, in a good location. It wasn't easy. When I found this place online, I thought it looked super cute and quirky so I figured we'd try this over a chain hotel. I could not be more happy with my decision! THIS PLACE IS A GEM! The staff is extremely nice and helpful. They were happy to offer suggestions on places to go and the best beaches when we asked. They even suggested places when we saw them in passing (without us even asking) and genuinely asked how our trip was going. The room itself was very comfortable and clean. My friends questioned my choice when I booked it but they fell in love with the pillows when we got there! I even asked the motel owners to sell me the throw blanket on the bed! It's in a perfect location, walking distance from all the shopping and dining. They also offer free bike rentals so we took a bike ride to the beach, which was extremely fun! We checked out this morning, after a wonderful 2-night stay at this motel and I honestly have nothing bad to say about the place. We absolutely loved it and had such a great time! We travel a lot and I can honestly say I've never stayed anywhere and felt so well taken care of like The Presidio. It's truly a great place, I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we could help you with all of your needs! We take great pride in both our customer service and the cleanliness of the property so to hear that you were pleased with both makes us very happy! Please come back and visit us again soon.
Mystic, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our overnight stay at the Presidio was very pleasant. All the staff were great and very eager to assist us with accomodating a teen in a wheelchair. May need some extra updating for wheelchair accessibility. Clean and comfortable updated room. Great location. Thanks so much for all your thoughfulness and friendliness.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were happy to assist you and your family with any needs that you had during your stay. We are a bit of an older property and our supply of handicap accessible rooms are limited so, we greatly appreciate your understanding. We take great pride in our customer service and cleanliness of our rooms so, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay and got to visit Santa Barbara.
Please come back and visit us again soon - it was our pleasure to ensure that you had a great vacation.

Laura

Been to Presidio Motel? Share your experiences!