“Motel 6 Extreme Make-over!” 4 of 5 stars

Presidio Motel
1620 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #23 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
Redlands, California
“Motel 6 Extreme Make-over!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I wish there was a category between "Average" and "Very Good" for this motel. If you want to stay in Santa Barbara in August, prices are very high. $500-$700 per night at the good hotels. We had no idea there was going to be a ghastly festival happening. If hoards of drunken revelers and crowded confetti-strewn streets are your "thing", than head to Santa Barbara for the yearly Fiesta in August. On the upside, the hotel was squeaky clean and the folks who run it are fabulous, very solicitous of their guests. The bed was deliciously comfortable. On the downside, it's on State Street, thus noisy, preventing us from opening our windows to enjoy the cool sea breezes. There is limited parking. It felt like a Motel 6 that had had an extreme makeover. And is it too much to ask to have some sort of kettle in the room so I don't have to get dressed first thing in the morning, schlep down to the office, turn the kettle on, wait for it to boil, in order to get a cup of tea? I mean we were paying $238 for the night. IF we were to return to this hotel, I'd bring along my own kettle. However, I think we'll give Santa Barbara a skip in future. It's got a seedy element, the streets felt unsafe sad to say.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have health issues that make it hard to carry your suitcases up step...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Fiesta in Santa Barbara. It has been a tradition in Santa Barbara for over 50 years and is a celebration of the history to the area. That said, it is not necessarily the environment for everyone and I hope that you will be able to come back to visit at a quieter time.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We take pride in the cleanliness of our property and try to make every effort to provide all the comforts that our customers seek. Most of the hotels are on State Street in Santa Barbara and we are fortunate to be walking distance to all the attractions in town. During a time like Fiesta, this can be a benefit for some and a deteriment to others.
Again, I'm sorry that Fiesta was not for you but, I do hope that you will give Santa Barbara another chance in the future and if you do, please come stay with us again.
Best Regards,

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Good value, pleasant hotel - really great to borrow their bikes and cruise down State street to the beachfront, plus they provided loads of helpful recommendations for what to do and where to eat - overall very pleased we chose to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing stay with us at the Presidio. We are so glad that you had a chance to borrow our beach bicycles to explore Santa Barbara! They are truly a wonderful way to get around town and enjoy all we have to offer. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our recommendations and hope that you will come visit us again soon. Thanks for your review and see you again soon.
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wow. From finding this place to booking it to staying there, the whole process was a breeze. Affordable (for Santa Barbara) and a nice location on upper State Street (much quieter). This little place has gone through a big renovation, turning an old-style motel into a clean, hip, nice place to stay. Pros: ULTRA clean, and I mean spotless. Loved the white linens (no stain-hiding duvets here, just clean and white and fluffy).Very clean bathroom and new carpets too. Extremely comfortable beds with nice pillows, not old or flat. Helpful and friendly staff. The only thing I would change is to move the outdoor smoking area completely away. We had a room near the upstairs deck (which we loved) and the smokers came out here so we had to come inside and close our windows. Not a big issue (not too many smokers) but it is literally the only thing we wished was different. I have already told several friends about this place and they are planning trips in the near future. I will DEFINITELY stay here again and recommend it to others. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing us a review. We greatly appreciate your choice to stay with us at the Presidio. We remodeled the hotel early this year (2013) and are so glad that you like the style of the hotel. We make every effort to ensure the cleanliness of our property as it is our top priority.
I'm sorry to hear that the smoke from the deck was troublesome during your stay. We would have been happy to rectify the situation during your stay if we were informed as we do have signs posted for these situations. That said, I hope that you enjoyed your time in Santa Barbara and that we will see you again soon. Thanks again!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having never been to Santa Barbara, looking for hotels online was quite a challenge. I didn't want anything outside of Santa Barbara but I was also not willing to pay an arm and a leg for a room. I searched many hotel sites (Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Kayak, etc) for a good deal, at a decent place, in a good location. It wasn't easy. When I found this place online, I thought it looked super cute and quirky so I figured we'd try this over a chain hotel. I could not be more happy with my decision! THIS PLACE IS A GEM! The staff is extremely nice and helpful. They were happy to offer suggestions on places to go and the best beaches when we asked. They even suggested places when we saw them in passing (without us even asking) and genuinely asked how our trip was going. The room itself was very comfortable and clean. My friends questioned my choice when I booked it but they fell in love with the pillows when we got there! I even asked the motel owners to sell me the throw blanket on the bed! It's in a perfect location, walking distance from all the shopping and dining. They also offer free bike rentals so we took a bike ride to the beach, which was extremely fun! We checked out this morning, after a wonderful 2-night stay at this motel and I honestly have nothing bad to say about the place. We absolutely loved it and had such a great time! We travel a lot and I can honestly say I've never stayed anywhere and felt so well taken care of like The Presidio. It's truly a great place, I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we could help you with all of your needs! We take great pride in both our customer service and the cleanliness of the property so to hear that you were pleased with both makes us very happy! Please come back and visit us again soon.
Mystic, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our overnight stay at the Presidio was very pleasant. All the staff were great and very eager to assist us with accomodating a teen in a wheelchair. May need some extra updating for wheelchair accessibility. Clean and comfortable updated room. Great location. Thanks so much for all your thoughfulness and friendliness.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were happy to assist you and your family with any needs that you had during your stay. We are a bit of an older property and our supply of handicap accessible rooms are limited so, we greatly appreciate your understanding. We take great pride in our customer service and cleanliness of our rooms so, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay and got to visit Santa Barbara.
Please come back and visit us again soon - it was our pleasure to ensure that you had a great vacation.

Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at the Presidio Motel with my two girls and small dog and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. The owners were very kind to me and my children. They directed me to the perfect dog-friendly beach and gave me a great recommendation for pizza delivery. The rooms were updated and clean. The location was perfect for us--close to shopping, but not right in the heart of things where there was a lot of foot traffic. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Laura Y, General Manager at Presidio Motel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We know how difficult it can be to travel when your hands are full with children so, we try to make every effort to assist our guests with anything that they need. Your children and your dog were a delight and it was definitely our pleasure to have you as our guests! We hope that you will have a chance to come visit us again soon. Thanks again!

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
+ updated/remodeled rooms with good motel standard
+ welcoming and helpful staff
+ close to a few restaurants and shops, and the motel is in the same street as "everything else" in SB

Pros/cons?
+/- the value is decent, but it is quite expensive for being "just" a motel. But every hotel/motel in SB during July seemed expensive
+/- some noise coming from the street, barking dogs nearby and different other sources (garbage emtying etc.), but it didn't bother us too much as it was mostly quiet during the night

Cons:
- the beach is a bit far to walk (30 min), and the bikes are not available during the evening
- unstable wi-fi in our room

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and got a chance to visit Santa Barbara! As you have commented, prices in Santa Barbara can be a bit higher during the summer and weekends but, we believe that we provide our guests with a competetive and good value for our central location and amenities. I hope that you did have a chance to enjoy our beach bicycles to tour the city and we apologize that the bikes are not available during the late evening hours. We can make exceptions on the availablity of the bicycles however, this restriction is simply for the safety of our guests (to prevent any issues from arising due to riding in the dark and drinking while biking).
That said, since we are just 2 blocks from the start of all the shops and restaurants on State Street, the stroll down State to the beach is a very enjoyable walk and we are happy that you chose to stay with us. Thanks again for your review and we hope that you will come stay with us again.

Laura

Been to Presidio Motel? Share your experiences!