“Beware of the off site building” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Santa Barbara

You added Hyatt Santa Barbara to your Saves list
Hyatt Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (Formerly Hotel Mar Monte)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Cincinnati
“Beware of the off site building”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arriving after a long day of travel, we were so looking forward to the Hyatt experience in Santa Barbara. We were given room in a location that was NOT on the main campus. It was the recently purchased Parkside Inn. It was a very old building, however the rooms were recently upgraded. For the price, it was not up to the Hyatt standard. The room did not ever cool off throughout the night, no ice machine in the building. To get to the pool, beach and other amenities required a very long walk or drive.
I was so very disappointed. So beware of the off site accommodations. Not the expected Hyatt experience.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
mykohwu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Decent hotel, great location since it is right across from the beach, but not worth the price in my opinion. We stayed in the hotel but the rooms definitely needed some updating. We had people running around at night which woke us up to the point where I had to call the front desk. Luckily we only stayed for one night and we were able to find parking on the street. Also the bed was terrible, I have never slept on such a crappy bed ever....

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms facing the pool, especially the ones in the other building
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I booked a one night getaway for my family months ago. As a Hyatt Platinum level member (which I'm starting to realize based on feedback from multiple Hyatt employees means little to nothing) I called the Platinum line and a very cheery and lovely agent excitedly told me that we were able to get into the newly remodeled second location which was ONLY a block from the main hotel. This newly remodeled location is nothing more than a seedy, rundown old apartment building (or former motel) that has been spit polished (the rooms are small but nice enough - like a high end Motel 8. The rooms were clean - but very tight to move around for 4 people with two beds). There is no Hyatt employee downstairs as there is no lobby. So if you need anything it can take a long time (an hour and a half to get toothbrush and toothpaste) The elevator did not feel new or remodeled - my daughter was afraid it would fall - I believe it's safe but again, goes against the "remodeled" or what I would expect as Hyatt standard. The train (with its VERY LOUD whistle) is VERY VERY close and VERY VERY LOUD. You're across the street from a very large rundown park (if you can sneak your dog into the hotel - which would be easy as no one works in the building, the park is an added value as they can run around). The freeway is so close that until traffic died down around 1AM, it was very loud and kept me up (I'm not a light sleeper and can usually fall asleep to anything/anywhere). When I first realized that this would be our location I told the front desk that this was not comfortable for my family but was told that they had no other rooms so we were stuck. I like hotels to have people working at the hotel I'm staying at so it doesn't feel like I'm at an Air B&B apartment building (and a rundown one at that) with no one downstairs - not knocking Air B&B - I've had great experiences with them - but if I had wanted to stay at a non-hotel, I would have. Hyatt, you should be ashamed of this mediocre, slightly seedy feeling, not on the beach, has no amenities or people property. This is NOT up to your standards. If you can stay in the main hotel, you're much better off. The pool was good enough. The drinks and food by the pool where good too and the staff at the pool were very nice and helpful. The beach was beautiful and the area in general for the main hotel (not the second site) was great which is why it gets two stars. Santa Barbara is gorgeous and the area is prime for a great vacation - but if you can't get the main hotel I would find other options that are either cheaper or nicer.

Room Tip: Only stay at MAIN HOTEL location
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, yesterday
Hello NoEmm, Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community and with us. We do take our guest’s feedback under consideration as we continue to strive to improve our hotel for future guests. We appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt Hotels. Your Platinum Status is a very significant achievement that affords you many benefits including guaranteed late check-out upon request, a 15% bonus when earning points, and the ability to guarantee a room within a 72 hour notice - which I’m glad we were able to accommodate. We are happy that you enjoyed our friendly service, drinks, food, and convenient beach location. We pride ourselves on providing great service and great products.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the impression that was left with you from staying in our newly renovated Santa Barbara House. We are very proud of how these model rooms have turned out and look forward to the renovation being completed in all rooms, but understand your frustration of not being in our main building. As part of the current phase of our renovation, we have a few newly remodeled rooms in the main building that I'd like you and your family to experience. Please feel free to contact me at chris.lichtman@hyatt.com to discuss this further. Thank you again for visiting beautiful Santa Barbara and we look forward to having you and your family join us once again.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Main building room had serious noise issues. Extensive construction noise started at 7:30 am. Moving rooms at that point isn't much of an option and only thing the front desk had to offer was earplugs. Understand that is when construction workers want to work, but does nothing for guest relations. Otherwise, location is great and our room even had a partial ocean view. Room was well maintained and staff was courteous. If you can get a room away from the renovations, or are an early riser, room will be fine.

Room Tip: Get a room far from the renovations.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Marcus Y., Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the noise resulting from our current renovations. We certainly understand that this noise can be an inconvenience even though we try our best to maintain it in the early mornings. Looking ahead a few weeks, we are extremely excited about unveiling the results of the renovations as we are very confident that the updates and added conveniences will be a great benefit to all guests. We are happy that you enjoyed the comforts of our rooms and courteous staff. We hope to welcome you back for a more tranquil experience once the renovation is complete.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Friendly service and across from beach. 10 min bike to State St. Lots of local places to eat nearby. Room ok but had one right next to pool - noisy. Could open my window and pass sunblock to children outside. Pool was decent but small. They charge to same price $27 to valet or self park on the lot. Expensive for the room and price. We've stayed at Four Seasons and at motel; for their cost it was underwhelming. Go to the Motel 6 across the street from Hyatt; they are also clean, well located and half the cost. Or spend the extra $100 and stay at the Four Season.

Stayed May 2015
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello Mimi E., Thank you so much for taking a moment to write this review, we certainly value your feedback. We are very sorry for the noise inconveniences you experienced due to the sounds of summer created by the children at the pool; believe it or not, but some guests specifically request poolside rooms to just be closer to the action. We are happy to hear that we provided you with our signature friendly service and that you experienced biking to State Street, as this is one of our many fantastic options we invite all guests to enjoy. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you again.
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent are honeymoon here in a spacious ocean-view room. We come back every couple years for our anniversaries and haven't been disappointed with any of the rooms we've gotten. It is an older hotel, but Hyatt's done a good job in upgrades. Love having the beach across the street.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I spent the first night in a room with noise that continued unabated throughout the night, thus was unable to sleep. The next day I went to the front desk and they which room I was in. When I told them they explained there was constructions and it was noise from pipes. They were great about moving me but I was very disappointed that they seemed to know of the noise issue yet put me (or anyone) in that room. The second night there was no noise issue. However, the bathroom door did not open all the way as it hit the toilet. This hotel was lacking.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience with us. We know that your time is valuable and appreciate that you left us this feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the noise that you experienced. Our hotel is currently under renovation and unfortunately this means some construction. On the day of your stay, a pipe ruptured as a result of the work that was being completed. We were unaware of the extent of the noise until you brought this to our attention, for that we thank you. We are pleased that the room move was successful and hope that you enjoyed your overall visit to beautiful Santa Barbara. We hope to see you again in the future.

Been to Hyatt Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!