“great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Santa Barbara

You added Hyatt Santa Barbara to your Saves list
Hyatt Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (Formerly Hotel Mar Monte)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #38 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
West Covina, California
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Hyatt SB for about 90 nights (and counting!). I've had a great experience as the hotel staff have made my stay in SB stress-free and relaxing. I'm here on assignment for work so I guess you can say that Hyatt SB is my home away from home. The front desk staff members are very nice and accommodating - I have had several last minute changes due to work but they've pulled through every time.

Some pointers:
-The 2 queen rooms are a big step above the 1 king rooms. I can attest to that! The extra space is great and added to the comfort of my stay.
-Try to get a room in the main buildings. The park view rooms are a little weirdly positioned.
-The lobster benedict is amazing!
-Having an ocean view room (vs not) really makes a huge difference. I find myself more at ease and a little more motivated to get up in the morning to soak up the ocean breeze.

I wish there were more TV channels but the free wifi is pretty decent.

The location is great. It's right in front of the beach, meaning beach workouts every morning! It's also about a mile away from the Funk Zone and 1.5 miles away from State Street.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Oberlin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We Pricelined our stay, came to around $145 a head including fees. Pretty good for a hotel in Santa Barbara. The lower fee is probably why we were located in their 'newly refurbished building' which is a couple of blocks away (and farther from the ocean) than their main building. If I had paid full price to stay in this property I would have been very upset. Here's why:

The newly refurbished building looks like an old tenement from the outside. All views are either of the parking lot and freeway (building front) or of the neighboring properties' walls (building rear). Our initial joy to see we had a balcony soon faded when we saw the 'view' was of a 6 foot garage wall. Some rooms have balconies and some do not - I leave it up to you to decide if that matters.

Expect a minimum 10 minute walk to the beach from this location. However, off-street parking is abundant closer to the main beach road.

The refurb rooms are in very good shape and in themselves worth the (Pricelined) cost. Still there are some issues they need to address: worst is that the fire alarm has a constantly strobing light which reminds you of sleeping in a disco,

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello JGletherow, Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, we consider every piece of feedback very important and absolutely appreciate it. Indeed you did find an outstanding rate and we are very happy that we were able to get you into a newly renovated room. We are very proud of these rooms and excited that this type of room will be the model for each and every room in the hotel. You are correct that the Santa Barbara House, in which you stayed, is a short walk to the beach and the main building, but we feel that on most days a leisurely stroll is good for the soul. As well, the flashing light that you mentioned is something that we recently became aware of as well and are in the process of rectifying the situation. We hope to see you again.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel was a charming Spanish style with a cozy atmosphere. the rooms were older but clean and spacious. the view of the Pacific was excellent and the staff helpful, inviting, and pleasant. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Venice Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Came to Santa Barbara for the weekend for my wifes birthday. The hotel itself is in a great location. Across the street from the beach and an easy 10-15 minute walk to all of the wine tasting spots.

In regards to the hotel itself, I would say that it is an upscale motel at best. When I was booking the room I was told that the Hyatt Santa Barbara is valet parking only.....which I was fine with. Upon my arrival, I pulled into the hotel lot, put the car in park and got out to head to check in....as I was exiting my car, I was asked by one of the valet guys (who was very nice) if I could hop back in my car and "park it over in one of the spots, then bring them the keys." HUH, all of this for $25.00 per night. Obviously they moved my car eventually underground, I just thought that was a bit odd.

After checking in, we walked through the parking lot to get to our room, hence the upscale motel comment. The lobby is separate from a majority of the hotel. At least the North West part of it.

The room itself was "meh." Big in size but small in decor. Nothing to it what-so-ever. We had a balcony that overlooked the side street with a partial view of the water, so that was not a bad thing.

All in all this place was just OK. If I am going to spend $431 to sleep and park, I would expect a hotel, especially a bigger brand like Hyatt to be a bit more on top of their game. I understand the real estate they are sitting on in pricey, and we the consumer foot that bill, but the property should match the ticket price.

I probably wouldn't stay here again.....and I am a Hyatt Platinum customer.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank so much for your continued loyalty to Hyatt, as a Platinum member we are sure that you have seen many different types of physical buildings in all types of locations. As you have noticed here in Santa Barbara we do have quite a unique and historic building that was built in the 1930’s. We certainly recognize that improvements are necessary and we are pleased to inform you that renovations are currently under way. 24 guest rooms were just completely rebuilt and returned to our inventory a few weeks ago. The main building is currently under construction. We do apologize for the confusion with valet parking, you are correct, valet service should be full service and this incident was discussed with the valet manager. Please do consider joining us again and ask for a newly renovated room.
Orange County, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was disappointed in my stay at the Hyatt Santa Barbara. My girlfriend and I decided to take a mini-vacation in Santa Barbara for our two-year anniversary and wanted to stay at a 4-star hotel to celebrate. Unfortunately, our stay was disappointing from the moment we arrived.

Upon checking in, we were informed that we were staying in room 398 (a standard room) that was located across the street from the main building. The room looked nothing like the pictures on the Hyatt website. My girlfriend immediately looked disappointed and she had good reason to feel that way. The room was cramped and had an unusual layout. An unusual protruding wall at the foot of the bed forced the Hyatt to place their TV in this room off to the side of the bed (who watches TV that way?). Further, it was a dark and cramped space that also had a large stain on the floor of the bathroom. My girlfriend then called the front desk to request to switch to a room in the main building. Instead of simply honoring her request, she had to repeatedly turn down their upsell of switching to an ocean view room for an additional $50, but the manager did eventually agree to move us. We walked back across the street to the front desk to make the switch. The woman at the desk seemed surprised to see us again so soon, and asked why we were there. Instead already having been informed, we another uncomfortable conversation asking her to change our room to one in the main building as the manager had not yet informed her of what he told us. We do not like having to complain, and it was frustrating having to ask over and over. In the end, we did get a better room. While I was relieved that my girlfriend was no longer completely sad about our amenities for celebrating our anniversary, I could not understand why they would even try to place us in room 398 across the street when they had another room available. They must know that room is far worse than the rooms in their main building.

I wondered if another guest ended up having to stay there? That would not be fair either. Did they think we would not say anything because we are a young couple? Did they think we didn’t know any better? In sum, it is disappointing to be treated that way by a 4-star hotel staff. Not a single person even apologized for sending us to a subpar room.

To be sure, I gave an overall 2-star rating because the location was convenient and the bed was comfortable, but the positives of our visit stopped there.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello, Happy Anniversary to you and your girlfriend. We’ll begin by apologizing for the impressions that we left with you. Thank you for leaving these comments and please know that as a team, we read all comments and take action on things that we can correct. You have identified many opportunities for us and we feel badly that you did not have the experience that you were due. We have created actionable steps to ensure that these inconveniences do not occur to future guests. Please consider coming back to join us again to see the completion of the renovations that are currently in progress.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I accumulated points from Hyatt Gold and we had 2 free nights at 4 -star Hyatt hotel and we opt to stay at Hyatt Santa Barbara. The location was good but a little too far from the main street. We had a ocean view room and the room was spacious but it looked tired. The bathtub was tiny and was not comfortable to take baths. We did not try the restaurant so I can't comment on that. The check-in clerk was unfriendly but she was friendlier upon check-out.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello and Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Indeed, our hotel is located on what is referred to as East Beach, between the Santa Barbara Zoo and in our opinion, the best part of the beach. East Beach is approximately 1 mile from Stern’s Wharf and the bottom of State Street. There are several options for transportation to these areas, but our favorite is a leisurely 20 minute stroll. We are happy that you had an opportunity to enjoy and ocean view room and certainly understand your thoughts on the room looking tired. In fact, we have just fully renovated 24 guest rooms and construction has just begun on the main building which will include additional rooms as well as a full remodel of the bar, restaurant and lobby. We hope that you will join us again to see the progress.
Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Pot smoke in hallway, terrible service with items brought a day late, billed in error for things, power outage -- overall, very disappointing for a Hyatt. No business center to speak of, no business lounge. Terrible security with no key needed to enter outdoor hallways right outside your room. Avoid.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. Please know that we do take immediate action when we discover or are alerted to smoke of any kind that is filtering into a hallway as our hotel is a smoke free establishment. Please accept our apologies for the late delivery of items to your room and for the billing error, I do hope that the errors were corrected for you, if not, please give us a call to discuss further. It is unfortunate that Santa Barbara has an older electrical infrastructure that causes occasional power outages. Though we do not have a formal business center, we are more than happy to address any need that you may have at the front desk. Thank you again for visiting us and we look forward to possibly seeing you again in the future.

Been to Hyatt Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!