“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Santa Barbara

You added Hyatt Santa Barbara to your Saves list
Hyatt Santa Barbara
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 East Cabrillo Boulevard, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (Formerly Hotel Mar Monte)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Oak Park, Illinois
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After staying at the Hyatt Santa Barbara several times, I was disappointed at the front desk service and lack of updates. With rising prices, including parking the service didn't measure up nor the quality of the room. The scenery and location still make this an attractive spot, but be sure to ask for what you expect and are entitled to based on your reservation. The hotel food varies but across the boulevard you can eat right on the beach which is much more fun and reasonable. Walking, sunsets, and getting around by foot, bike, or the trolley is still part of the ambiance of Santa Barbara and the Hyatt is well situated to add these to your "to do" list while there.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view facing the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Front desk lied to us about location of our room. Place is old and tired! Restaurant was good and Kathy the bell girl very good! Otherwise if us overpriced and undervalued for a Hyatt?
We were very disappointed with this hotel for service and condition particularly since it was offseason and they were not busy!

• Stayed February 2015
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel is old, but the rooms are not that bad. The only downside is, that it can be a bit of a walk to your room from the lobby. The location is great, it literally is 50 feet from the ocean, unfortunately our room overlooked a soccer field and not the beach. Parking is crazy expensive, especially considering the amount of street parking available. They gave us the wifi code for free.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Joliet, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Lets start off by saying that the Hyatt in Santa Barbara couldn't be placed in a nicer more picturesque location! The Hyatt is in an older building, right across from the beach. It's evident from first glance that it is in need of some updating, but so are many place right across from the water. Salt in the air wreaks havoc on building exteriors over time. The Hyatt doesn't appear in disrepair, but just in need of a 'facelift' to keep it looking like the high price you pay to stay in even a standard room. Not sure if it's the location that dictates the steep price tag as compared to other comparable hotels, but I felt like you are not getting what you pay for at this hotel.

The rooms are a mixture of updates mixed with things needing an update. Avocado green stucco walls with an awful air conditioning unit. I had a nice view of a brick wall. I get it that it takes time and money to completely renovate everything at once, but again, I can't justify the high price tag with what you actually get. Bed linens are soft and clean, but those odd half-of-of-a-normal sized pillows really irk me. Just put out normal queen or king sized pillows if you're gonna charge nearly $300 a night...My stay was decent, if decent is a word you want to use to describe a night of your vacation.

The Lobby is pretty and chic and I like the open-air feel of it as well as the lobby water which was strawberry infused--nice touch as lobby water wasn't available in any of the other hotels I stayed at during my trip down the PCH. The hotel does offer free wifi and a restaurant on location as well as a pool and work out room. I didn't see either, so I can't judge them. Street parking is free but hardly ever is there an open space, so you have no choice but valet which adds on to the already overpriced room charge.

Overall, if you're looking for a great location in lovely Santa Barbara and don't care how much you spend or what you get in return, then I'd recommend this hotel. If not, I would recommend that you do your research on other properties.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hello Sabrina, thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding our hotel. Your assumption is correct in that our room rates, along with our local competitors’ room rates are indicative of our location. Thank you for stating that our hotel does not appear to be in disrepair, our maintenance team works tirelessly to keep our historic building up to par. Along with this, we are very excited to be in the very beginning stages of a renovation. This facelift is rather thorough and has begun in a separate building from where you have stayed. It will soon make its way to the main building where the restaurant, lounge, lobby and a number of guestrooms will be updated to a high standard.

Thank you for mentioning the pillows, we will consider our options here. Water in the afternoons, coffee in the mornings and Sangria on Friday afternoons to kick off the weekend are all complimentary and our pleasure to provide to you, we are happy that you enjoyed it. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Silicon Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

first let me start by saying in was somewhat skeptical of the negative reviews. But wanting to be across the street from the beach allowed me to overlook the haters. This is a great hotel and nice location. We were upgraded to an ocean front room w two queens. The staff were great and we chose to park on the street to save $26 per night in valet fees. We had no issues finding a place to park so I would recommend this to save some bucks.

We were in room 355 in the Santa Cruz building. 3rd floor. Try to get this room if you can. Smaller bathroom but why do you need to spend a lot of time in there anyway. Bed was great. We tried to sleep with the door open at night but Cabrillo Ave can be noisy.

We didn't use the pool as we were here in February

There are many good restaurants in the area, we did have breakfast in the bistro in site and it was very good.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here about 3 years ago for a conference, and had a positive experience. Not this time! Arrived at check in 3:30 pm, and was told my room wasn't ready, and "our policy guarantees check in at 4 pm". That comment was unsolicited, just automatically came out of the mouth of the woman at check in. That defensiveness should have been my first clue that this is not the hotel of three years ago. I mentioned that I am a Plantinum member - and again was flatly told "policy is guaranteed check in at 4 pm". Still no alarm bells went off. I asked if there were any other rooms available now, as I had my 92 year old father with me and he wanted to rest. Behold, there were at least 3 other rooms available, as we went through a list of my preferences, and she typed on the computer and shared this room, that room, and finally the room I said sounded fine. When we got to the room, it was as others here have described - blah and dated - smaller than the room three years ago in another building on property. As a Platinum member, I should have been offered a room upgrade, a daily paper and late check out - I was offered neither. I inquired about parking with disabled placard and was told at front desk that valet is $26 or street parking is free. When we returned from dinner, I did not see any street parking close enough for my 92 year old father to handle, so pulled up for valet. A female valet saw the disabled placard and said parking is free in the lot right near the front door. I said great - I was told differently at front desk - then parked the car. A male valet came running up to me and started to hand me a valet ticket. I said I was just told by another valet, disabled parking is free and I park myself. He mumbled something and walked away. The room: the TV remote did not work, a second one brought by engineering was spotty in working; the temp in the room was 75 degrees whether I had the air on, heat on, or fan only. I slept about 3 hours total as it was quite warm in the room. The next morning, I cut our planned two night stay to a one night stay. Most of the staff are very nice and try to be helpful. I believe they are not supported nor encouraged by leadership, and that is reflected in the poor communication and confusing, non customer-friendly attitudes. This is NOT a Hyatt-worthy hotel. Get a new general manager, and maybe you can turn this back into a luxury hotel. Until then, I won't be back, and I will tell everyone I know to stay elsewhere.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
H596BGM, General Manager at Hyatt Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello Traveler789007, First, we’d like to recognize and thank you for your loyalty to the Hyatt Brand as shown through your Platinum status. You are absolutely correct, as the experiences that you have described are certainly not consistent with Hyatt’s culture, and for this we sincerely apologize. You have pointed out service deficiencies that we will address immediately. With regards to the room being out of date, we are currently undergoing a renovation in which every room in one of the buildings is being completely upgraded, this renovation will soon carry over into the main building with updates occurring to the bar, restaurant, lobby and some guest rooms. We are all very excited about these upcoming changes. As with all reviews left for our team, your comments will be shared and as appropriate actionable corrective steps will be taken to ensure that our service meets your expectations and supports the culture that Hyatt has created. We truly do consider feedback to be a gift and thank you very much for sharing it with us. We are confident that we will earn your loyalty once again here at the Hyatt Santa Barbara.
White Plains, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent a great deal of time and effort researching where to stay on a return trip to Santa Barbara with my 87 year old mother in tow. I settled on the Hyatt because it was moderately priced but looked lovely and charming and was well situated. The first pair or rooms they showed us was up two different elevator banks and through approx 6 fire doors ( think heavy) and about a city block away from the main entrance ( which is why my mothers age is relevant). The room was shockingly spare, dark and depressing. The furniture was dark and chipped. There was no cover on the bed or color in the room other than ugly brown stark off white. I had requested adjoining rooms which was not even recognized by the front desk until I mentioned it at which point they read and acknowledged that the request was in the record but they could not ( then) do anything about it. They showed us three other pairs of rooms- that looked out on a wall only about a foot away, that were in a separate building across the street and that were right off the lobby. The decor (or lack thereof) was the same in all rooms and all were right. Very tight. It is also noteworthy that the bathroom vanity and sink are outside of the bathroom in the entrance to the rooms. Ugly. We didn't want to stay. The front desk person who was assisting offered us ( who was very nice and tried to help)free breakfast if we stayed. We declined but ultimately has to stay because everything else was booked. The manager reneged on the offer of free breakfast and said we misunderstood and that it only applies to one day of our four day stay. The three of us did not collectively misunderstand anything. His attitude added insult to injury. I would not recommend the hotel but will say that the location is good ( though there are many options right in the area) and the bell , wait and cleaning staff were all truly lovely and gracious. All in all its not what one expects of a Hyatt hotel. Very disappointing.

Stayed February 2015
Hello Faith9257, Thank you so much for joining us at the Hyatt for your return trip to Santa Barbara and for your very kind words regarding our housekeeping, restaurant and valet/bell teams. We truly appreciate you as a guest and the positive recognition when we deserve it. We are also very truly sorry that the first rooms were inconvenient to you and your mother, we certainly understand your feelings and want to offer our apologies. As a side note, during your visit, we were experiencing a faulty fire alarm which in addition to closing the heavy fire doors, caused the alarm to sounded repeatedly for long periods of time over the course of two afternoons. Our team did respond quickly in addressing the situation, though it did take longer than anticipated to finally correct the problem. With that said, we are sorry that the fire doors were not held open as they usually are. Also, in understanding your thoughts on the room furnishings, we are delighted to let you know that a renovation is currently underway that will update and refresh a good percentage of guest rooms. Finally, we sincerely apologize for the manner in which our manager handled the breakfast situation, this will be discussed further with senior leadership. Thank you again for staying with us and please do consider staying with us again as we would be delighted to have you back.

Been to Hyatt Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!